FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Arsenal Trialist - Philip Roberts

fraser

I have heard that we have got a striker on trial from arsenal. Not sure of his name but Ive heard he isn't very good. But it's a good sign that we are still looking for players:)

Isn't very good and signed by Arsenal - that being the case, there must be hope for Butcher's future!

As much as i'd love to think we were looking to add to the squad I read this in todays courier:

Regardless of the extent of Ross’ injury, no additional funds are expected to be made available in order to even seek a replacement short-term.

Guest Mahonio

This said player could be Philip Roberts, twitter name is @P_J_Roberts. I was on Twitter about an hour ago and saw this person saying that he's heading on loan to Inverness which he says is a "nice place".

This said player could be Philip Roberts, twitter name is @P_J_Roberts. I was on Twitter about an hour ago and saw this person saying that he's heading on loan to Inverness which he says is a "nice place".

Good find Mahonio, well ahead of any of the press.

For those of you who aren't twatters he said 'Going on loan to Inverness Caledonian Thistle until January wish me luck. It's a great place' also going down through his tweets hes been up here for at least a week.. or at least he was up here a wek ago Welcome aboard Philip.

Edited by ubern

Extract from Arsenal's website:-

A powerful centre forward, Philip impressed in his role as a lone striker in the Under-18s last season and finished as the team’s top goalscorer with nine goals.

His consistent displays for Steve Bould’s youngsters earned him a call-up to the reserves, where he plundered his first goal against Wolves in February 2012.

A Republic of Ireland youth international, Philip joined Arsenal from Norwich in summer 2010 after impressing Liam Brady and his team while on trial at London Colney.

Obviously not yet the finished article, but these credentials at least show some promise!!

• Agree 1

Q&A from his Arsenal.com profile makes him sound very level headed. http://www.arsenal.com/reserves-youth/players/philip-roberts/q-and-a

What is your first memory of playing football?

In the park with friends from school.

Which footballer did you pretend to be on the playground and why?

Thierry Henry because he was fast and had finesse in the box.

Which teams did you play for before you came to Arsenal?

Leyton, Norwich.

What is your favourite memory of playing for those clubs?

Scoring my first goal for Republic of Ireland against Czech Republic.

Who was your inspiration as a child and how did they help you?

My parents because they supported me and took me to all of my matches.

Which other sports did you play as a youngster and to what standard?

I played crickets at school level and athletics at County level.

Tell us about the first game you ever went to as a spectator?

I went to Arsenal v Dortmund in the Champions League.

How often do you see your friends from schooldays and what do you do together?

I see them everyday and we just go round each other’s house and play computer games. Or go to the park to play football and basketball.

What do you miss most about being a ‘regular’ teenager?

Not being able to eat what I want. Also having to sacrifice going out if I have training.

Who keeps your feet on the ground and how do they do it?

My parents by letting me now it could all end tomorrow.

What made you join Arsenal?

I am a life long fan.

What is your favourite meal at the training ground?

Lasagna, potatoes, rice, broccoli and carrots.

How much contact do you get with the first team squad?

When we see them in the gym, at lunch or around the ground and we always speak to them.

Who is the biggest joker in the youth ranks and what does he get up to?

Jeffrey Monakana makes a joke out of everything.

Who has the worst dress sense and what is his worst item of clothing?

Alban Bunjaku and his grey tracksuit.

Who is the best finisher in the youth team?

Zak Ansah.

Who is the best free-kick taker?

Conor Henderson.

Which footballer would you most like to play alongside and why?

Dennis Bergkamp.

Which stadium would you most like to play in and why?

The Nou Camp. Tulloch Caledonain Stadium

What would you most like to win? The Champions League or the World Cup?

The World Cup because it is a bigger competition.

What is your all time XI?

Shilton, Dani Alves, Tokely, Maldini, Roberto Carlos, Pele, Charlie Christie, Kaka, Bergkamp, Messi, Adam Rooney

• Agree 1

Potential hit and miss but wont know unless he plays. Cant help but think this is the best they could manage on the budget but may be another gem, lets give the lad a chance to prove himself.

I hope he actually manages to get a game while he's here and isn't like Winnal who came and sat on the bench for a few months.

I think the key difference could be that Roberts is used to playing as a lone striker. Not sure why we took Winnall when he wasn't that kind of player and we are so rigid in sticking to one up front.

Good luck to him, hopefully he is a good product of the Arsenal youth system. Anthony Stokes anyone - 18 years old, 16 games, 14 goals at Falkirk in a 1/2 season loan. if we get the same I will be delighted - so here's hoping and lets support the player and TB for bringing him in!!!!

"This is the beginning of a partnership with Arsenal that will help their younger players gain first team experience with Inverness Caley Thistle in this season and the future."

Let's hope it's better than the Sheffield Utd partnership!

• Agree 1