FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Kyle White

i wonder why we have let him go if he was as highly rated as that sky article claims

seeing him play against Buckie in pre season and other pre season games previous it puzzles me as to why he was so highly rated, looked like a below par division 3 player IMO

Every year there will be players at the end of their apprenticeships who will not be offered professional contracts. Thats the nature of things at all clubs. I dont know what the selection criterea is for any that are kept on and have never seen too many of the youngsters play to say how good or bad they are but I do believe we do everything we can to help those released in finding employment. I'm sure the lad will go on to do, at least as well, as the many others we've let go over the years.

Mathieson has been released along with Whyte, Murphy, McKenzie, Watson, Skinner and Dachi

Ones in bold should have been kept. All very impressive in the games I attended. Kyle Whyte and Dachi are the biggest mistakes in letting go. 

Mathieson has been released along with Whyte, Murphy, McKenzie, Watson, Skinner and Dachi

Ones in bold should have been kept. All very impressive in the games I attended. Kyle Whyte and Dachi are the biggest mistakes in letting go.

I dont think Dachi was ever signed only on trial

Calum Ferguson said to a fan via twitter that He along with Polly Christie Pepper Cheyne and Cooper had stayed and that the entire rest of the u20s were released

Not sure if he refers to Laing as one either

Does this mean that the retained players have been promoted to the first team squad?

Obviously Polworth and Cooper have played for the team before and can be considered such. Calum Ferguson has probably been elevated to first team, but like Martin Laing this season, will be on the bench at times. And Jay Cheyne has been playing at Buckie Thistle, so not sure if he's ready yet for the step up. But it's good these decisions have been made early so our squad can take shape in good time for our assault on Europe!!

Only reason I can think for Whyte getting released is his persistent knee injury.

Fully expect him to be at Nairn County next season.

Edited by BA

How many of the youngsters we've released over the years have gone on to become SPL players and prove the decision to release them was incorrect?

Vigurs is the only one I can think of - and at the time I was told his problem was attitude rather than ability.

Given the small number of youth team players who go on to make the step up, and that we seem to let go most of the under 20 side every May, I do wonder sometimes if we keep on a lot of these young lads just so we can field a team in the under 20s league, rather than because of any expectation that they'll make the step up to the first team.  I bet several SPL sides are in the same boat.

How many of the youngsters we've released over the years have gone on to become SPL players and prove the decision to release them was incorrect?

Vigurs is the only one I can think of - and at the time I was told his problem was attitude rather than ability.

Given the small number of youth team players who go on to make the step up, and that we seem to let go most of the under 20 side every May, I do wonder sometimes if we keep on a lot of these young lads just so we can field a team in the under 20s league, rather than because of any expectation that they'll make the step up to the first team.  I bet several SPL sides are in the same boat.

The only other I can think of is Stuart Armstrong who was released by us prior to joining Dundee Utd.

The only other I can think of is Stuart Armstrong who was released by us prior to joining Dundee Utd.

i dont think we realeased armstrong i thought his family moved to dundee so through circumstance he ended up at dundee utd.

anywho just found a cracking photo of mathew cooper here http://www.banffshire-journal.co.uk/Sport/Football/Scotland-call-for-Macduff-youth-2151.htm

Edited by lukemackay

I heard we and County both had GMS on trial but let him go only because he is injury prone :/ when u think of it now that was a big mistake :(

GMS came through the County youth system before signing for Liverpool.  We had him on trial in 2010 and he played the first half of a friendly against Clach, before getting injured the following week in the warm-up of a game at Forres.  Apparently we did offer him a deal a few months later which he turned down.

GMS like shane sutherland were both in year in High School nd he was exceptional. he got into the County first team at 15 and liverpool took him. He never made it at liverpool due to injuries and that is why he didnt get in here we have a small budget and we need to have players that we cn rely on to stay fit but he would have been exceptional