FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Wick Academy 24 July

Rasczak

1 MacKay 2 Jay Cheyne 3 Carl Tremarco 4 Ross Draper 5 Matthew Cooper 6 Joe Gorman 7 Adam Evans 8 Ryan Christie 9 Ben Greenhalgh 10 Danny Devine 11 Nick Ross

Subs 12 Calum Holwarth 14 Jason Brown 15 Ali Sutherland 16 Conor Pepper

• Agree 1

What's happened to Nick Draper, is he injured?

Also, I see Ali Sutherland's just come on.  He must be the fastest player I've ever seen!

Looking at the line-up I'm inclined to think Butcher is giving a few youngsters a chance of a first team game just now because from the weekend the full concentration will need to be on first team

Also, I see Ali Sutherland's just come on.  He must be the fastest player I've ever seen!

Looking at the line-up I'm inclined to think Butcher is giving a few youngsters a chance of a first team game just now because from the weekend the full concentration will need to be on first team

Nick Draper is a youngster.  He's been brought in as the U20/third choice keeper this season. Presumably he's injured and Butcher (if he's even there) is playing Mackay as Brill played last night and he doesn't want to risk anymore keepers.

Edited by Renegade

Nick Draper is a youngster.  He's been brought in as the U20/third choice keeper this season. Presumably he's injured and Butcher (if he's even there) is playing Mackay as Brill played last night and he doesn't want to risk anymore keepers.

Rumour has it that Ryan is injured so maybe he's preserving Draper

Full time Wick Academy 1 ICT 5. I'll give my views when I get home.

Many thanks for the updates.   Just couldn't go to Wick as working at 7am tomorrow.  Thanks again.

Why has Conor Pepper not been playing the other games but he's on the bench for a game with the youth team in it (or the players who didn't play last night)

Nursing a groin injury from what I've heard

Pretty good game. I had expected it to be a mainly under 20 team, but there was a bit of experience in each area. Seemed to be set up similar to the 4-2-1-2-1 from last season, Cheyne, Cooper, Gorman and Tremarco along the back, Draper and Devine in front, Ryan Christie in the A.Shinnie role, Ross and Greenhalgh out wide and Evans up top.

We started pretty well and got the early goal, a tap-in for Nick Ross after some good work from Greenhalgh and Christie on the left. I almost missed it, saw some advancing as I was posting the team lines, then looked up and there was Nick 3 feet from an open goal, my brother had to tell me who crossed. At least he was better then the announcer who credited the goal to Greenhalgh.

Wick had a decent spell and had a great shot that came of the post/crossbar with the keeper well beaten, and another good chance from some bouncing around the box.

Our second from Draper was a good shot from just inside the box after a low pass though the middle from Evans, and the third was a great cross from the left about 10 yards inside the Wick half which Evans dispatched well.  Greenhalgh had a good chance from a free kick during this period as well, but it was always curling away but was just a couple of feet wide. Wick came back into it a bit after that and it was pretty even until half time but no great shots of note, although there was a scary moment when a deep cross slipped through MacKay's hands and out for a corner.

Half time and a nice pie at a reasonable £1.50.

Second half and Sutherland came on at right back and the rest of the defence moved one to the left. Devine seemed to be playing a bit deeper as well and we went more of a 4-1-3-2.

Play was pretty even again, maybe Wick having the better of it, but then Sutherland went on a run up the right, and then fed it in to I think Evans who passed to Christie. It was a little behind him and I thought the chance was gone, but he managed to pull it back and get the shot away and in.

The fifth came soon after, nice work on the right from Evans chipped into the centre from the corner of the box and put away by Ali Sutherland. 

All a bit scrappy after that for both sides, Wick got through a few times but couldn't get the shot away in time or on target. There were a couple of fiery moments, first when Pepper and a Wick attacker went down together in the ICT box, the whistle went and I thought Pen to Wick, but it went our way, next Pepper and the Wick guy were tangling and the ref was racing in to split them up, just a talking to for both of them though. The next was with just a couple of minutes to go, Draper went in hard in the midfield and a Wick player ended up needing treatment, no foul but Draper did get some treatment from the home fans as well.

By this time Brown and Holwarth came on, direct changes for Cheyne and Gorman respectively.

Not long after Wick got their goal, no less than they deserved, they had played well, and Barry should have a good season if he can keep some of the trialists.

All in all a decent result, better than this time last year when it was 0-0 in the same game, and we do seem to have some options other than the first choices. Evans seems right up there, looking for a shot and getting the ball in good places, Greenhalgh does have a great delivery, though as some have said for other games, he does sometime look to go on himself when the pass would be better. Christie is doing his dad proud and we look to have some good defensive cover. Tremarco doesn't go forward as much as Shinnie, but then it gives the option of Shinnie being able to cover midfield and we don't have to worry about left back cover. As Lizi said elsewhere, the U-20 games could be very good this year as well.

• Agree 2