FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Richie.......

maimie

CaleyD -  I take your point, although I suspect that by now Richie must be feeling a certain amount of remorse, even if it is simply remorse triggered by getting caught and seeing his career potentially over.

However, as I said above, the damage to his career, whether terminal or temporary, could be used usefully in drugs education, and it would do Caley Thistle no harm to be seen to be addressing the issue openly, quickly and practically, using their serving player, Richie Hart, to get the message across.

Or maybe I'm just finding excuses for him because I'm looking into the past and thinking, as someone else posted, "there but for the grace of God"...

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The issue I have is that he has lied to the club and comes across like a complete idiot in his interview in the Highland News.. when I first heard of the incident after Rockness I thought it should have been dealt with in a similar way to the Newton - West Ham episode.  The fact that he has held his tongue (as far as I know) for almost half a year until his lawyer recommended he told the truth bothers me... if one thing is for sure this is not a Black and White situation.. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

JohnnyKipper,

Thanks for your helpful advice.

However, I used the football comparison only for illumination.

The crux of the paragraph is about the detail of employment law and how it may be applied in this case.

It dosen't really matter why you were using the football comparison, because it holds no relevance. There is no comparison between the 2 cases whether they were football related or not. One is based on an allegation and the other is based on fact.

The issue I have is that he has lied to the club and comes across like a complete idiot in his interview in the Highland News.. when I first heard of the incident after Rockness I thought it should have been dealt with in a similar way to the Newton - West Ham episode.  The fact that he has held his tongue (as far as I know) for almost half a year until his lawyer recommended he told the truth bothers me... if one thing is for sure this is not a Black and White situation.. I'm glad I don't have to make the decision.

what lie did he tell the club Harry?

Lets burn him,and his brothers and sisters and his cousins and his great aunt Fanny who lives in Invergordon and while we are at it confisicate his pet goldfish ( Florence) who he is really close to him also.

And lets make sure his name is forever wiped from the history books and anyone that ever mentions him again gets burned also.  :023:

Crass I know but " Let he without sin cast the first stone "

stop the hysteria. talk of rehab and councilling etc are laughable and just highlight the knee jerk society we live in at the moment. every man and his dog is going to the priory these days when in most cases a firm kick in the balls would suffice. most would concede it was more than likely his first drug offence and most would hope to be given a second chance themselves if they acted innappropriately no matter what their background or profession. why the need to condem people to more misery for a stupid mistake and what does that teach kids,  dont forgive, just get rid. anyone who thinks the boy isnt hurting a **** of a lot over his actions, A   doesnt know the player and

B  hasn't tried to think what it must be like to deal with something like this for any person. thats not to say he doesnt deserve it and hasnt been stupid, just that the punishment should fit the crime. hope we see him again in a ict jersey

Hi secret love for Ross County

stop the hysteria. talk of rehab and councilling etc are laughable and just highlight the knee jerk society we live in at the moment. every man and his dog is going to the priory these days when in most cases a firm kick in the balls would suffice. most would concede it was more than likely his first drug offence and most would hope to be given a second chance themselves if they acted innappropriately no matter what their background or profession. why the need to condem people to more misery for a stupid mistake and what does that teach kids,  dont forgive, just get rid. anyone who thinks the boy isnt hurting a **** of a lot over his actions, A  doesnt know the player and

B  hasn't tried to think what it must be like to deal with something like this for any person. thats not to say he doesnt deserve it and hasnt been stupid, just that the punishment should fit the crime. hope we see him again in a ict jersey

How can you talk about naivety and knee jerk reactions and then come out with "it was more than likely his first drug offence".... brilliant!

he is what 26? just because he has been caught once you assume that this is his first sniff?

its a fact it was his first drug offence. how many other times have you seen him done in court? if your alleging otherwise thats up to you but what i  was saying is the fact he's a professinal footballer undergoing regular drug testing would lend me to believe that this was his first time on coke. why is that so hard to believe? of course its entirely possible he might have had a couple of joints in years gone by but hey so did bill clinton , even if he didnt inhale

stop the hysteria. talk of rehab and councilling etc are laughable and just highlight the knee jerk society we live in at the moment. every man and his dog is going to the priory these days when in most cases a firm kick in the balls would suffice. most would concede it was more than likely his first drug offence and most would hope to be given a second chance themselves if they acted innappropriately no matter what their background or profession. why the need to condem people to more misery for a stupid mistake and what does that teach kids,  dont forgive, just get rid. anyone who thinks the boy isnt hurting a **** of a lot over his actions, A  doesnt know the player and

B  hasn't tried to think what it must be like to deal with something like this for any person. thats not to say he doesnt deserve it and hasnt been stupid, just that the punishment should fit the crime. hope we see him again in a ict jersey

How can you talk about naivety and knee jerk reactions and then come out with "it was more than likely his first drug offence".... brilliant!

he is what 26? just because he has been caught once you assume that this is his first sniff?

ha ha, good answer

good point though harry and one i tried to make earlier on, there is so much rumour, speculation and assumption being made its hard to work out who's said what and whats actually true. what we can be sure of is that RH has been charged for possession and will be dealt with accordingly

ha ha, good answer

good point though harry and one i tried to make earlier on, there is so much rumour, speculation and assumption being made its hard to work out who's said what and whats actually true. what we can be sure of is that RH has been charged for possession and will be dealt with accordingly

yeh can't wait until they make decision... stop all the hear'say

Maybe someone asked him if he wanted to score for Charlie?  :023:

Seriously, I don't think anyone who admits posession of a Class A drug can expect to get off lightly, employment-wise, especially a professional footballer.  I don't know what the answer is but I think one way or another he'll go.  Just trying to stick to the facts and not comment or what he may or may not have said.

I think it will be our major sponsors who will decide Richie's fate. On the playing side he's not an automatic starter so I don't think CB will have a strong opinion one way or another. However, if our major backers get twitchy over Richie then it will be ta-ta.

I think calling someone a lunatic for taking drugs is about right.  What if he had taken the drugs and then drove off in his car killing some kids?

Someone can drink a few pints, get in their car and mow down some kids. On your ""logic"" that makes everyone who drinks a pint of beer a lunatic.  Are you a lunatic?  :33: :sillywave:

Some of the intolerance exhibited on this thread is quite frightening!!

Richie would probably be better off leaving if the 'support' from a lot of his own teams fans, shown here, is anything to go by.

What should we be supporting exactly?

OUR player and OUR team.

Yes, 10/10 for stating the obvious - although I fail to see where anyones support of the team has been (or should have been) called in to question.

As a player wearing the ICT shirt Hart has always got my support whilst on the park, but it seems your suggesting that because I support ICT that I should blindly support all players and the actions of all players regardless of what they are, regardless of the law and regardless of my own personal opinions/standards...would that be right?

The mere fact that Richie has committed a criminal offence should not automatically lead to his dismisal.

However, despite the relativley modest fine which reflects his early plea and the fact that he appeared as a first offender, possession of a class A drug is not a trivial offence.

In my opinion, if Richie at any stage misled the club about his involvment that amounts to gross misconduct and he should go. If on the other hand he has been honest with the club from the outset I believe that he should be issued with a final written warning making it very clear that the club deplores his actions and that any further misdemenour WILL result in his contract being terminated.

The situation with the St Johnstone playes is entirely different as that was only ever a matter of allegation never prosecuted and never admitted by the players at any time whereas there is now no doubt that Richie has committed a not insignifigant breach of the criminal law.

Late last Wednesday night in Aberdeen's A&E, I had to look after a bloke who, in his early twenties, had come in with angina brought on by cocaine use.  Just a reminder that one of the reasons that "recreational" drugs are illegal is because they are potentially very dangerous to health - whether cocaine, heroin, cannabis or whatever.

The one undeniable fact is that Richie Hart has been an idiot - as said above, a lot of what's being talked about is based on rumour and assumption.  While there are very good (and very bad) arguments for and against terminating his employment with the club, I'm not sure if it has been pointed out yet that Richie Hart is a professional athlete whose career is hugely dependent on his fitness.  I know it all happened during the summer, and it might well have been a once-off, but doesn't it **** off anyone else that we pay the wages of someone prone to such unprofessionalism?

If he a) shows some remorse (or at least more than he showed in HN) and b) suggests to the club himself that he VOLUNTARILY goes round local schools etc. (not sure if it would actually make a difference, but it's a gesture), and c) maintains Brew-like standards of fintess and professionalism, then he deserves a second chance.

If it hasn't occurred to him to do the three things above then he's the architect of his own downfall.

he wasn't a hero and certainly aint worshipped by many. if you went up and asked  a school child in p5 - 1st i bet that not a lot would even have heard of him.

I doubt the majority of ICT players are worshipped by schoolkids.

O'Boyle and St. Johnstone teammate Kevin Thomas were sacked following drug-taking allegations. The two players, it was alleged, were found using cocaine at the club's Christmas 2000 party.

They were caught by the Saint Johnstone trainer/physio in the toilets. That's how the story came to light.

Just heard Richie mentioned on the Radio Bristol phone in by the presenter, (subject drugs in sport) it will be interesting to see if anyone calls in regarding this.

Next we will be getting ICT commentary  :021:

I think it will be our major sponsors who will decide Richie's fate. On the playing side he's not an automatic starter so I don't think CB will have a strong opinion one way or another. However, if our major backers get twitchy over Richie then it will be ta-ta.

Kind of ironic that one of the largest drug making companies in Scotland may have a say in the future of a player caught with illegal drugs...

:015:

If they found him with a CD on his lap "snorting" coke - why didn't they test him then and there,

Did he get tested?  Did it come out negative?  Was his crime buying the drugs and acting like a big time "charlie" - not taking it?  Has he actually admitted to taking anything?

If he's lied to the club, then he should be punished severely, but I would still go down the route of a community based ecucational programme that will help him help others - gawd knows the Highlands could do with it! 

Richie Hart has admitted possession of a class A drug. His initial not guilty plea would have been advised by his solicitor to give time to collate all the evidence. Thats the way the Scottish system works. The solicitor has now advised Richie change his plea.

Nobody on this site knows what was, or wasn't, said between the player and the club so nobody has the right to say anyone lied in any of this.

The lad has made a big mistake and I'm sure he is feeling pretty remorseful at this time as he contemplates what the future holds but is it right that we keep kicking him while he's down. Are any of us so squeeky clean that we qualify to weild the whip?

As for protecting the family/community image of the club does that mean we now weed out those who have extra-marital affairs, those who drive over the limit, those who speed or double park or get drunk and disorderly? Can we really choose what crimes against the law, society or morality we respond to and what we ignore?

I dont know the answers but I do think that if a moral stand is being made then it should apply across the board.

I?ve been re-reading some of the coverage around this incident and the thing that strikes me is that he?s quoted as having paid ?80 for two half gramme wraps of coke.  Now I?m no expert (honestly :angel05: ) but that is way over the odds and would suggest that Richie is hardly a hardened user who might have been aware he was being ripped off.

It?s not the first time we?ve been front page news for the wrong reasons and as such it would be hypocritical of the club to sack him when they continue to employ others who?s past behaviour is, in my opinion, more unsavoury than Richie?s.  As the saying goes today?s front page news is tomorrow?s chip wrapper.