FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee Utd Chairman Thompson Dies

RiG

Much as he could be a figure of both fun and frustration to some of us for his dealings with ICT in the transfer market, we cant argue over his passion for DUFC. Condolences go to his family, and especially to his daughter who lost her husband the other day in a bike crash. What a week for her.

One less character in Scottish Football. We may remember him more for the frustrations he caused ICT, but I'm sure it won't be without giving him due respect for what he did for his team and what he contributed to the game as a whole.

As I said above, his dealings with ICT didnt exactly endear him to us but reading a few of the online articles make me think we would have had a different opinion of him when he was alive had he been our chairman.

First his own words - "You can change your wife, your house, your car but you can never change your team. Chairmen come and go, boards come and go but the fans remain. They are the one true constant. I've just been a custodian of the club."

Then, a gesture that speaks volumes for what his own fans thought of him ... "Earlier this year, at the suggestion of United fans, one of the stands at Tannadice was named in his honour and thousands of United fans wore One Eddie Thompson T-shirts at the CIS Cup final against Rangers in March."

RIP

Great hearted man steeped in football and his club

Was he not one of the few senior men in football who was not afraid to stand up and lambast the refereeing which always seemed to favour the Rangers and Celtic. Especially in the case of penalties. Risked suspension from the SFA or SFL or whatever for his courage.

He will be missed.

Proud as hell today during the minutes applause at the Celtic game. Several arabs were their to show our respects to the man.

Forget the transfer dealings. Eddie T was your clubs strongest allie, firstly in campaigning to get the rules changed allowing ICT to play in the SPL at Pittodrie. Secondly, after a 1-1 midweek draw bewtween the sides which was at the time the lowest attendance of an SPL game. Eddie T gathered support allowing Inverness to move back home.

Never after himself, always looking after football fans. RIP Eddie.