FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Domestic Duties

Dmacca

Heard this question asked on local radio, so thought i would post it on here.

Men what jobs around the house do you think are the womens job?

Ladies the same which jobs do you think are the mans?

For me the ironing is obviously the one for the wife!! :rotflmao:

That's pretty much it. I am responsible for exterior matters like cutting the grass, washing the cars and putting the bins out. Also maintenance and repairs, changing lightbulbs etc. As a concession I also load this dishwasher. Haven't ironed a shirt or cleaned a toilet in the last 10 years, which I'll happily admit is shocking.

I think I did try a few more things once, but the missus wasn't happy with my standards and told me not to bother.

Guest birdog

I think I did try a few more things once, but the missus wasn't happy with my standards and told me not to bother.

Having spent many years at sea I have become quite good at keeping things "ship shape" by doing so called "women's work" but the quoted statement is exactly the method I employ at home to get out of household chores. If you feck up a job often enough then you never have to do it again. :rotflmao:

Aye, but how hard did ya try? and what were the things.... :rotflmao:

I am responsible for outdoor chores, Mrs Gabby is responsible for indoor chores.

This worked out great during the drought because the grass didn't grow and water restrictions meant it was against the law to wash the car.

Some great replies indeed, I expect Mrs Dmacca to iron, wash up and scrub my back in the bath, what I expect and what i get dont always go to plan, I could be on the end of a thick ear if her reads this... :rotflmao:

I am responsible for outdoor chores, Mrs Gabby is responsible for indoor chores.

This worked out great during the drought because the grass didn't grow and water restrictions meant it was against the law to wash the car.

Oh right... does that mean the beer chiller is in the garden?

I do all the shopping, and 90% of the cooking. I even do the washing but I don't iron.

We have saved a fortune since I took over the shopping. My wife could spend ?100 in the supermarket and you would lucky to find 3 dinners in there.

Our weekly shopping bill is about 1/3 of what it was!!

I have learned to buy only what we need/will use, and what own brands are good. We now throw next to nothing out.

I have also developed an eye for bulk buying stuff that keeps, when it's on extra special offer (like the 4 discontinued 3kg boxes of washing powder I picked up pre match today for 85p each reduced from ?3.80.

Graham

On comic relief last night a comic made a joke about only spending more than a Fiver on an item if it's electrical, I think that sums up my thinking during these hard times.

Edited by kiltarlity

There is no such thing as a "man's job" or a "woman's job". When I was dragged up I was taught to knit scarves, darn socks, do the dishes, polish my shoes, iron my pants etc, and always was ready to help my dad cut the grass.Anything to keep busy.

And not much changed after HM GOV. called me up to the RAF --I found I was one of the few who knew how to darn a sock and I got my share of dishwashing in a foul-smelling huge greasy dish washing tank (this was known as fatigues or jankers) to which one was sentenced for a minor infraction like looking sideways at the Drill sergeant.

Anyway, boys and girls, here is my philosophy for a more equal and productive marriage...if it needs doing then get on with it before someone needs to ask you for help--then you can lord it over the lazy ones in the household....and set an example to the children you produce-..viz: nothing is for nothing in this world unless you are misfortunate enough to be born Lord Laddie-Da with a golden spoon in your mouth.Isn't that right MrsJnr

:rotflmao:

Well when I'm at work the laundry and cleaning is done for me. When I'm home I cook, hover, make the bed, dishwash, put the washing on etc. Try and avoid ironing though. I also do the outside things. When I'm home Aileen's usually at work. But when I'm away she will cut the grass and pull weeds if the need arises.

And all you macho men with the 'woman's place' attitude are all liars. I've heard you's in the workplace or the pub and I've witnessed you in your own homes or being dragged out of the pub.

Quite easy to see that there are one or two posting on this thread with big thumb prints on their foreheads. :rotflmao:

No, my wife works two jobs (65+ hours a week), I work part-time as I earn less an hour, therefore I do a greater % of the housework/childcare.

Quite simple! nowt to do with thumbs ...

I have all of the house stuff to do as I have my 3 boys living with me since split with ex wife. All the washing, cooking,cleaning, shopping house maintenance etc. Didn't notice the diffrence after got rid of her, she did b***er all when she was here, except spend the money!

Kiltarlity, you are spot on with the shopping thing. I saved a small fortune when I took over the shopping. Its funny thing but I seen to survive fine without buying supersize bags of crisps, bags of donuts and bars of chocci and with own brands and cheaper cuts of meat you can still cook decent meals at half the cost.

Guest birdog

Well when I'm at work the laundry and cleaning is done for me. When I'm home I cook, hover, make the bed, dishwash, put the washing on etc. Try and avoid ironing though. I also do the outside things. When I'm home Aileen's usually at work. But when I'm away she will cut the grass and pull weeds if the need arises.

And all you macho men with the 'woman's place' attitude are all liars. I've heard you's in the workplace or the pub and I've witnessed you in your own homes or being dragged out of the pub.

Ok I'll admit it, busted. I tend to hover about looking busy to keep the peace. :rotflmao:

i do the hoovering :rotflmao:

Since I decided to marry Mrs Latviaman, she said that , in Latvia, we share, and that is what we do. We live in a flat so no grass to mow, but as I was in the RN, no-one irons a shirt like me, so I do them, Big Deal.

We go to the supermkt together and she is so tight re' bargains you Scots would be proud of her.

She buys discounted stuff you can save, as another poster, she asks a price and if she doesn't like it, just walks away as I cringe after ages of haggling.

Latvia now is a poor country, I have a contract for two more years guaranteed, (pilots always get work in Eastern Europe) but many men are staying at home as they have no work. So women work as they pay them less here . So the Macho Latvia men are learning to cook, do house work, et al'