FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

ICT -V- Annan : Matchday Thread

Scotty

A good game. Except for the header just before half-time (that caused the injury to their #2), Annan rarely threatened. We took our chances well.

Allison - not much to do, but came confidently for a couple of cross balls and quick distribution from throws started a couple of moves.

Tokely - inspired second half, breaking forward a lot and putting a bit of energy into our attacks.

Bulvitis - started well, and was always looking for the ball, but faded in the second half.

Munro - solid game and looked comfortable throughout.

Djebi-Zadi - didn't seem to link well with Eagle first-half but, like Tokely, got forward a lot after the break. Nice moment of kung-fu weirdness to keep the ball in play at one point.

Cox - looks the real deal. Not one to shirk a challenge and used the ball well.

Eagle - switched from left to right and flitted in and out of the game. Definitely looked more comfortable on the left, from where he delivered one or two decent crosses.

Stratford - probably instructed to play a defensive role today and anchor the midfield. Kept his passes simple and didn't waste much. I like that he's quite vocal, too (giving Imrie pelters at one point).

Rooney - not too convincing playing as a lone striker (would've liked someone with a more physical presence), but did okay.

Sanchez - played behind Rooney. Showed a lot of good little touches to link with those aroud him, turns neatly and took his goal calmly. He also kept the ball well so, on this evidence, I don't think he'll be too slight. Definitely tired towards the end though.

Imrie - looked shocking first half. Didn't seem interested till his second assist, but then seemed more focused. Can't really argue with two assists and a goal!

Sutherland - seems to have a decent first touch and was keen to get involved.

Didn't see enough of Shinnie or Ross to really comment.

Edit:

That's me just in from the Yokohama Marinos v. FC Kyoto game (2-0 Marinos btw)

Opened a beer and looking forward to the updates :)

Was it not 3 - 0? Just gutted FCT slipped up today at Kawasaki...

Edited by nude_as_the_news

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest neksor

didn't think Imrie deserved MotM. His play for the first goal was good and he took his own well. Most of the rest of the game he rather sefishly tried to put the ball directly in the net when other better options were available.

Thought Cox or Lionel were good enough for MotM.

A decent performance against 3rd division opposition!

Really must do better next week.

neksor

didn't think Imrie deserved MotM. His play for the first goal was good and he took his own well. Most of the rest of the game he rather sefishly tried to put the ball directly in the net when other better options were available.

Thought Cox or Lionel were good enough for MotM.

A decent performance against 3rd division opposition!

Really must do better next week.

neksor

Couldn't agree more regarding Imrie. Thought Cox was MotM closely followed by some vintage Tokely play.

Pretty easy win for us yesterday and whilst we took a wee while to get going we were clicking by the end as Annan tired badly. Definitely some positives to take from the game yesterday. I thought Stratford was more suited to his midfield role than a right back. Cox was strong in the middle again. Not one to shirk a challenge. He is like Ian Black in that aspect except he doesn't kill the player. His passing / creativity might not be as good but he has a tremendous work ethic and that will endear him to the support.

Tokely in at RB was a huge boost to us as he worked well with Eagles / Imrie on the right and got forward a fair amount. Djebi Zadi found some good space at times on the left. The result of which was some fantastic overlapping and allowed us to create a lot of space and time for our players to whip balls into the penalty area for the strikers to attack. Not all were good crosses but I was a lot more impressed with our build up play than against Montrose. Barrowman would have loved to have been involved yesterday with the amount of crosses going into the six yard area.

I was also impressed with Juanjo Mk II. He seemed to drop off the main striker to pick the ball up, drop a shoulder then turn the other way. Looks like a good player to have the final third and could open up defences for us when we are attacking. Would be interested to see how he plays maybe just behind a front two with someone like Cox in the middle doing the spade work with Eagles and Imrie wide. Imrie turned in a solid performance but maybe still a bit too greedy with the ball. Eagles looked reasonable enough as well.

Overall much more impressive than last week and a lot more positives to take from the afternoon. We'll still need to pick it up for the game against Dunfermline though. Might take a while for some players to settle into their right positions in the team. Can we afford that?

Edited by RiG

I was impressed with the performance especially in the second half. We did what a top first division team should do to a third division team. We passed the ball well (at times) and I thought the second half performance was very good

It was almost like a training match attack v defence which is how it is supposed to be when you play a team like annan

I was impressed with Dani Sanchez as he drops back in the hole between defence and midfield, I reckon he will be one of the players who has the most assists. From what I saw yesterday he didnt seem to make a lot of forward runs he likes to hold back and pick up the pieces if anything drops to the edge of the box, He will get goals this season but if he burst into the 6 yard box when the crosses are coming in he could get 20 to 30 goals

I wasnt impressed with Rooney at all. He got a goal which should have been easily saved and he doesnt have any pace so when the ball gets hit over the top the defenders will get it and he isnt exactly a strong lad so he will never win any headers or hold the ball up.

Foran and Sanchez up front when they are both fit and Sutherland (who looks like he could be very promising) and Barrowman as back up. I would try and sell Rooney tbh

Lee Cox in the second half was bery impressive. I love a player who will fly into tackles no holding back and that is what he does. He is fast becoming my favourite player

Robert Eagle will be good as well as he can swing a decent ball in something that we have not had for many years now and if Hayes can do it as well we should be ok down the wings

Bulvitis was ok. He is big and strong but he can miss time his tackles but that is something that will get sorted out and he i should be a good player

Imrie was non existent in the first half and he was much better in the second but I would not have said man of the match.

Kyle Allison did well in all. Not a lot to do but he made some very good catches from dangerous crosses and I love it how he throws the ball out so quickly starting the counter which worked really well yesterday.

All in all a good perfomance and a great confidence booster for going into the Dunfirmline match

As noted in the player of the year poll, it has not gone unnoticed that Lee Cox is quickly endearing himself to the ICT fans. I thought some of his forward passing was first class, spraying balls wide to Imrie and Tokely on more than just a few occasions. He is very determined in the tackle, a born ball winner and will make Ian Black seem like a pansy and just a distant memory. My only reserved judgement of him was he might have taken a dig or two from the edge of the box, but elected to try and play someone in. Still, top player for us this season and player of the year award beckons.

Rossco must have run him very close for MoM as well. He looked rejuvenated with his thrusting runs and wing wizardy and showboating going down a treat. He seemed to be enjoying every minute of it as well, grinning from ear to ear as he waltzed past the entire Annan defence (well it seemed like it) and backheeled the ball round the inrushing player, real Roy of the Rovers stuff.........or Alf Tupper if you like your bread buttered that way.

Imrie was good also, but the final ball selection sometimes ruined his creative play. He is getting good at hitting the byeline and cutting back for the midfielders to have a crack, and he took one volley early almost catching the keeper out with that one as it looped a couple of yards wide. Bright start by Imrie but he along with the rest of the team went quiet before half time. Dougie was the inspiration in our first half display against United recently and as we altered the flow of the game with mass substitutions we lost our attacking outlet and the game once he had departed the scene. Couple of good assists and a goal can't be bad though. He was booked for a rash challenge as well which was a bit needless and could have been costly had he lunged in more forcefully in the second half, he did however survive.

Manfer

What a lovely informative report. Just what the Doctor ordered for aging overseas Seniors in lucid moments between Senior Moments...!

You are such a nice wee man when you behave yourself and concentrate on positivity.......

If this continues I may approve...just may...a guided tour of Codswallop Hall for you and the weans . :023: