FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The worst tackle ever

TheKnowledge

bad..but as bad as this one?

Schumacher on Battiston

Battiston was clear through the German defence racing towards goal. The German goalkeeper, Harald Schumacher, raced towards Battiston as the Frenchman took the shot, missing the goal. Schumacher leapt into the air, twisting his body and colliding with Battiston. In the process Schumacher's hip hit the Frenchman's face. Battiston, clattered, fell to the ground unconscious, with damaged vertebrae and teeth knocked out, later slipping into a coma. Emergency medics had to administer oxygen on the pitch. Michel Platini later said that he thought that Battiston was dead, because "he had no pulse and looked pale".

The referee did not give a foul, let alone send Schumacher off. Schumacher then proceeded to take the goal-kick and play resumed. After winning the game, the goalkeeper caused more controversy when he was told that Battiston had lost three teeth, and replied: "If that's all that's wrong with him, I'll pay him the crowns."

bad..but as bad as this one?

Schumacher on Battiston

Battiston was clear through the German defence racing towards goal. The German goalkeeper, Harald Schumacher, raced towards Battiston as the Frenchman took the shot, missing the goal. Schumacher leapt into the air, twisting his body and colliding with Battiston. In the process Schumacher's hip hit the Frenchman's face. Battiston, clattered, fell to the ground unconscious, with damaged vertebrae and teeth knocked out, later slipping into a coma. Emergency medics had to administer oxygen on the pitch. Michel Platini later said that he thought that Battiston was dead, because "he had no pulse and looked pale".

The referee did not give a foul, let alone send Schumacher off. Schumacher then proceeded to take the goal-kick and play resumed. After winning the game, the goalkeeper caused more controversy when he was told that Battiston had lost three teeth, and replied: "If that's all that's wrong with him, I'll pay him the crowns."

I remember reading about this one in total football when I was younger and thinking that they must have been exaggerating! It's absolutely astonishing that West Germany got a goal kick for that. Schumacher's hair, combined with that tackle makes him evil.

I was going to post that one CaleyD but i dint know if he died at the end... Iv seen a youtube video similar to that where the player actually died <.<

Roy Keanes ' revenge ' tackle was pretty bad..

I was at that game ! Sat amongst the Utd fans...nearly got myself beaten up for suggesting it was a foul. Unbelievably some there thought it was a fair tackle.

Amazing what tinted specs can do

Quite a few contenders here

Makes Roscoe look like a pussycat.

Whilst it can be compelling watching these, the sad thing is that many of these tackles were or could have been career ending events for the victims. Sometimes, as with Germany's Schumacher, the perpetrators get away with not being sent off or even booked. Whilst we want players to show passion and be committed (and sadly this sometimes results in serious injury) we need the authorities to be really hard on those who cross the line and go in with clear malicious intent.

Although the tackle featured at the top of this thread is shocking, cringing and malicious, there are worse ones with more malice. Some tackle like the one arsenals edaurdo was involved with was well worthy of a red card there was no malice and was just miss time.

In my opinion, the worst tackle ever was Roy Keanes on Alf Inge Haaland. No attempt to get the ball and he only had his knee in mine, i think keane even said that in his autobiography. Disgraceful!

there was a bit of history between Roy Keane and Alfie Haaland.

In a game between Utd and Leeds (when Alfie played for Leeds) Keane tried to foul Alfie but tore his cruciate ligament. As he lay on the ground in agony Alfie shouted in his face that he was faking injury to avoid a red card.

Later after Alfie signed for City, they were the respective captains lined up in the tunnel before a Manchester derby at Maine Road, and Alfie turned to Roy and said 'Alright Roy, how's the knee....?'. This obvious wind-up led to the tackle in the derby at Old Trafford. I was introduced to Paul Dickov by a mutual mate after that game in the players lounge. He told me that after Keane kicked Alfie he made a point of standing over him and shouting 'that's for calling me a cheat you c##t'.