FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

MFR - Special Programme

Scotty

We have been asked to post this by someone from MFR.

------------------------------------------------------

MFR will be playing out a special show to mark the tenth anniversary of the famous cup win over Celtic.

We catch up with Highland Heroes, Steve "Pele" Paterson, Charlie Christie, Ross Tokely, Barry Wilson, and many more, and relive the memories of one of the greatest cup shocks of all time.

The Night they went ballistic this Monday (8th Feb) at 6pm on MFR

You can use the "Listen live" link on the home page at http://www.mfr.co.uk/, but you'll also be able to get it on the same link used on this website within any of the matchday threads at http://listen.mfr.co.uk/MFR/listenlive.html

A listen again facility will also be set-up and the programme will be repeated on Sat 13th February at 1pm on 1107am just before our usual Saturday coverage. Again, this will also be available on the normal matchday link of http://listen.mfr.co.uk/MFR/listenlive.html

Jeez, if you don't mine me saying so DC, you are the most negative person I have ever encountered. Practically every thread that you join you simply slag off what someone has said or what some people are trying to achieve. Lighten up man, you are depressing me.

Yes it was only a cup win, but at the time, it was the biggest Scottish cup upset of all time, and probably still is. Your glass is always half empty, no matter what. Have a read over your last fifty posts and see if there is any hope for you.

All scotty has done is stick on a wee note to make people aware of this, and true to form, you are straight in with a mump and moan.

Sort yersel man.

bottom line is that yes, it was only a cup win but it was arguably the cup win that put us on the map and became a driver for future progress. Our biggest ever result you might argue was against St Johnstone that won us the title but that was the culmination of a season of work.

If you ask Celtic fans it was also a huge game for them too but in other ways ... read some of the recent articles comparing Barnes and Mowbray and you will realise that most Celtic fans see it as something painful but ultimately positive, they got rid of Barnes, got O'Neill in the end and ultimately he won them a lot of trophies and took them to Seville ........ if we hadnt beaten them, how much longer would Barnes have lasted? would they have ended up with O'Neill? and would they have ended up down the same road to Seville? they dont seem to think so.

if you dont like it, dont listen, no-one os forcing you :wave01:

Guest Mahonio

bottom line is that yes, it was only a cup win but it was arguably the cup win that put us on the map and became a driver for future progress. Our biggest ever result you might argue was against St Johnstone that won us the title but that was the culmination of a season of work.

If you ask Celtic fans it was also a huge game for them too but in other ways ... read some of the recent articles comparing Barnes and Mowbray and you will realise that most Celtic fans see it as something painful but ultimately positive, they got rid of Barnes, got O'Neill in the end and ultimately he won them a lot of trophies and took them to Seville ........ if we hadnt beaten them, how much longer would Barnes have lasted? would they have ended up with O'Neill? and would they have ended up down the same road to Seville? they dont seem to think so.

if you dont like it, dont listen, no-one os forcing you ;)

Did you write the bit in Saturday's Record or Sun because this sounds more or less what they wrote and by the way i am not saying you copied it ok :lol: B)

Have a read over your last fifty posts and see if there is any hope for you.

Sort yersel man.

Here. I was wanting to tell it as well but i've already had a word from a mod about back seat moderating, and I hate being a grass so thank you someone for saying something to it. Sooooooooooooo negative.

Edited by TheKnowledge

MFR will be playing out a special show to mark the tenth anniversary of the famous cup win over Celtic.

We catch up with Highland Heroes, Steve "Pele" Paterson, Charlie Christie, Ross Tokely, Barry Wilson, and many more, and relive the memories of one of the greatest cup shocks of all time.

You can use the "Listen live" link on the home page at http://www.mfr.co.uk/, but you'll also be able to get it on the same link used on this website within any of the matchday threads at http://listen.mfr.co.uk/MFR/listenlive.html

A listen again facility will also be set-up and the programme will be repeated on Sat 13th February at 1pm on 1107am just before our usual Saturday coverage. Again, this will also be available on the normal matchday link of http://listen.mfr.co.uk/MFR/listenlive.html

Sounds good although I hope Diane Knox isn't doing it... her words hurt my brain!!! ;)

I agree with that Manfer guy. It never really struck me till the other day, wandering up the road at the end of the day, trying to forget how shyte it is having to work for a living.

One Saturday in August 94 we're all queuing up at the Caley Park to see Arbroath and thinking how we're going to have to get used to paying four quid at the gate instead of two now we're in the big leagues.

A mere five and a half years later we're taking 5000 fans down to stuff the tims at parkheid. Sure, celebrate away. Maybe make this the last time, but who the feck cares.

I agree with that Manfer guy.

I have to say I'm with Mannie and Mantis on this one. The legacy of that game was considerable and something my mind focused on in the course of doing stuff for the Supporters' Trust DVD and the BBC.

Apart from the instant international celebrity there was also no small matter of the revenue from that game and two very lucrative follow ups against Aberdeen coming at a time when ICT was financially on the ropes and in dire need of, among much else, short term cash flow.

The merger had put Caley Thistle on the map for a number of reasons, many of them the wrong ones. Suddenly, an acrimonious birth was no longer what ICT was best known for. The result, and its four significant follow ups of the Robbo era, also gave Caley Thistle a great degree of credibility within football and I think that included just that bit of extra and useful gravitas during that very marginal entry to the SPL in the summer of 2004.

However there was always a bit of a worry for me that ICT might still be in danger of being remembered as a "one result club" and I think there was a tendency in that direction until promotion to the SPL, after which the club's ability to stick in the top tier (for 5 seasons at least) gradually eroded that perception in favour of ICT being looked upon as one of Scottish football's FAIRLY big hitters at any rate.

I was interested in Mantis' comment about the quantum leap from the days of ?4 entry to Telford Street in 1994 up to that night at Celtic Park. It reminded me of the degree of disquiet, disbelief even in some cases on the part of many when they realised that it was going to cost that to get in. In fact it was only 9 months previously that people (in their hundreds! :021: ) could buy a season ticket for Telford Street for 20 quid!

I always had a blue boys card, IIRC it was a fiver, however at the time a family member played n i got in with him or by saying Blue Boys to the man at the big gate. them was the days, for me howver it was the 2-2 Caley V's St Johnson game that put us on the Radar for SFL football....

Guest Mahonio

Sounds good although I hope Diane Knox isn't doing it... her words hurt my brain!!! :)

I would seriously doubt MFR bosses would keep her on from 2pm right through to 7pm or past, it is usually Ken Kelman thats on at that time or will it be changed for this?

Guest Mahonio

Damn, i forgot that the programme was on at 6pm today and noticed it would be on again this Saturday but have 1 slight problem, i dont have 1107am on my Radio at work :D and won't be able to hear it through computer because i will be working so i was wondering if there would be a listen again option for me to be able to hear it through, Thanks?

Sounds good although I hope Diane Knox isn't doing it... her words hurt my brain!!! :lol:

I remember a long time ago on Lovelines (or whatever MFR did on a Friday) the two of you phoning up the show separately to say hello to your friends but not each other or something equally childish :lol:

Sounds good although I hope Diane Knox isn't doing it... her words hurt my brain!!! :)

I remember a long time ago on Lovelines (or whatever MFR did on a Friday) the two of you phoning up the show separately to say hello to your friends but not each other or something equally childish :lol:

:lol: really.. can't remember

Na me and Diane used to be best of buds until she went on MFR and became too 'famous' to speak with the riff raff

.... but I'm not bitter :P

Edited by Harry Chibber

I emailed her once a few years back to say happy birthday (using the Contact Me thing at MFR) and she mailed back to say happy birthday as well.

She hasn't accepted my friend request on Facebook though :lol:

I emailed her once a few years back to say happy birthday (using the Contact Me thing at MFR) and she mailed back to say happy birthday as well.

She hasn't accepted my friend request on Facebook though :(

:lol::lol:

Don't worry mate you're not the only one... she still has the cheek to speak to my parents when ever she sees them though..

what's my dad got that I haven't :rolleyes: