FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Matchday Thread: ICT v Hearts

CaleyD

Without the own goal by Innes and Tokely sleeping the score would have been 1 - 1.

Cox has touched the ball about 5 -10 times in the last 3 games which means he is creating or doing next to nothing and duff gave 50 percent of his passes away this means the central midfield is the first area that needs sorted. Duff has been a reserve for the past 3-4 years, yet peds was dropped for doing little wrong.

This is our main problem and we would pick up plenty of points once thats sorted. Cox needs a rest to see the step up in quality. And duff flatters to deceive.

Slightly depressing viewing today. We were creating opportunities. Plenty enough to win a game but falling asleep at key moments cost us again. It was our undoing against Celtic and might cost us again.

Though I did get a chuckle when Suso squared up to and shoulder to checked Rossco. Then good Mr Tokely just burst into a fit of giggles at the thought of this 5 foot midget thinking he had a chance of survival in any physical contest between the two of them. Yep a highlight it was in an otherwise bad day at the office.

Not a totally doomed display today, but things will have to improve if we are to make any sort of impression.

Duff was excellent, lots of good passes, solid in defeniding too. Not much to choose between him and Duncan, so good challenging stuff. Cox is erratic. He has played well this season.

Am I the only one allowed to think that it has been a while since we have seen any consistent brilliance from Rooney. As for workrate, he doesn't track back, and doesn't tackle and can be slow getting forward. I would give him the benefit and say that when Foran return, properly he will pep it up a bit. Hayes also, a harder worker, suffers from 2nd half fade. Why he wasn't subbed is anyones guess. He could barely walk back by mid 2nd half.

The problem is the defence, and a lack of a settled formation. Yesterday was a dogs brekko. Proctor for me, was particularly shy of having a go, as we know he can. Not a good choice.

In conclusion, I would say, early days yet. Many of these players are new to SPL and will have to adjust. I think we will dp OK, but may have a few days like today. All part of life's rich pagaent.

Am I the only one allowed to think that it has been a while since we have seen any consistent brilliance from Rooney. As for workrate, he doesn't track back, and doesn't tackle and can be slow getting forward.

Disagree entirely. In a 4-2-3-1 system, he shouldn't be dropping deep but he holds the ball well and is willing to go wide to receive. It's always a tough shift being the centre point but all that was missing yesterday was a bit of luck.

I think rooney has been consistent and is one of our hardest working players. He is always pressing on the defenders forcing them to make a pass which our wingers could possibly intercept. And as starchief said he shouldn't be dropping as he is the supposed to be the furthest up the pitch. I think the 4-2-3-1 will pay off against St J if the right team is selected.

Barring the scoreline I thought we played some good football yesterday, and of the three matches I've seen so far this season Nick Ross has been my MoM twice. There are a lot of positives to be taken from yesterday and a lot of learnings. Tokely is not a left back. Proctor was very poor at right back. Duff I reserve judgement on just yet. Our two wingers were excellent. Odi would have given a far better display had he had studs in his boots.

One thing that annoyed me was that on a few occassions players looked to lay the ball on to someone else rather than take a chance and a shot themselves. We need to take the chances and not try walking the ball into the net.

The Hearts keeper had a couple of excellent saves.

I wonder how much different would the result have been had Tokely started at RB with Gollie on the left. Maybe also we should have played 4-4-2 in this one.

Been away since Sat so not much to add to this thread.

So we played a big physical side who will probably finish top 6, with a makeshift defence. We gave them a game up till they got the third goal which had a slice of luck with the ball rebounding off Granty. Meanwhile we never got any luck at the other end or it could have been 2-2. Reality check needed- some people are never happy. The problem is not how we played on Saturday, it's whether the squad is big enough to cope with the remaining 33 games.

On the subject of midfielders, everybody knows I've always been a big fan of Russeldinho and I doubt whether most of those slagging him off ever see any away games. However I can see in the last 2 weeks that Duff is a step up in class. Whether class is all that he will need over the winter we will find out. If Russell gets any game time it may be at the expense of Cox. Being realistic, can TB expect Cox to play a full season in the SPl at his age? Mind you, Duff picked up a booking didn't he- few midfielders expect to play without a suspension at some stage. We need to keep defenders injury free and the rest will fall into place.

Having seen the highlights are we a bit unlucky with the third goal as it could be argued that Sultana handballed it or am I grasping at straws? Looked to be nothing wrong with Sutherlands goal as I couldn't see anyone offside.

Having seen the highlights are we a bit unlucky with the third goal as it could be argued that Sultana handballed it or am I grasping at straws? Looked to be nothing wrong with Sutherlands goal as I couldn't see anyone offside.

Have another look at Sutherland's "goal"

looked to me like he used an arm to get the ball in the net.

Tried to post half an hour ago but the site was unavailable, message I've never had before.

Yeah, offside, the ref was doing that chopping thing with his arms :laugh:

Some of us at the game thought Foran was off. Haven't seen the highlights yet.

Yeah I couldn't believe that penalty for Hearts wasn't given! I don't suppose anyone noted what kind of rating Brines got in the papers? I would honestly haven given him about a 4.

I think the Sunday Post awarded him a 7 but i do know that The Sun's pullout awarded him a 7 and The Rrecord's pullout, a 6.