FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Richard Hastings Retires From Football

Dargo20

So much so that he didnt sign a new contract with us because of this interest, then ended up signing for....wait for it.... that big club

Ross County.

Think Richard believed the hype.

Anyway... he IS a nice guy and i hope his future is bright.

At the end of the day he was a solid (if unremarkable) defender for both ICT and for Canada, scored a goal (his only international one) that puts him up there in Canadian 'soccer' folklore, and has a lot of caps for his country putting him at the upper end of the appearance table.

I was no huge fan of him, and thought at times he was too big for his boots, but so what, players should have ambition and an air of self confidence. However, you dont get 59 international caps - even for Canada - as a crap player ! I watched a few Canada games over the last few years and he was really solid in central defence in the 2007 Gold Cup (being named in the 'team of the tournament' best XI). Many Canada fans were not too happy at his recall to the squad in 2007 but his performances won them round and I seem to remember posting something to that effect back then.

Good luck to him.

Like him or loathe him he was part of our first ever squad, was the first ever professional ICT player (or was it still CT at the time?) and won 59 caps and an International trophy with his country.

Sounds like a pretty successful career to me. Maybe not the greatest or most popular ICT player but he's a big part of our history and always contributed whenever I saw him play.

• Agree 1

Richard was, probably still is, a fantastic athlete who made the most of his ability. Like me, many may say it was fairly limited but to carve out a career like he has enjoyed is to his credit.

I doubt there is anyone on CTO who could have made more of what they had than Richard did. I am also certain that there are dozens who had far more ability than him but not the athleticism or application he delivered. Gets too much stick for my liking and not nearly enough respect. OK he signed for "them" but we all make mistakes!

Enjoy your retirement and preach the levels of professionalism you showed to anyone who'll listen.