FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Club Statement on Player Departures

CaleyD

Just received the following from the club and thought it best posted here in the first instance and not delayed in order to prepare a frontpage news article....

Building for the Future

Following discussions between the Management Team and players last week and today all at the Club would like to thank Roy McBain, Stuart Golabeck, Russell Duncan and Grant Munro for their services over the last number of years.

Chairman George Fraser singled out Grant Munro for a special mention being a past captain of the Club and having progressed thro our youth ranks "Grant has been an exceptionally loyal servant to the Club and demonstrates to all in our existing youth set up that with the correct application, skill and determination you can progress to become Captain of the club.

Unfortunately due to the current financial environment generally, but football in particular, Contracts are all now short term 1 to 2 year deals and it is highly unlikely we will see a player with the service profile of Grant at the Club again.

On behalf of everyone at the Club we wish Grant well for the future whilst extending our thanks to all the players who have served the Club over the seasons through the lows and highs of relegation and promotion"

It is always a sad day at any Club when the old guard move on but we must now look to the future and build on the success we achieved this year on our return to the SPL.

What a poor statement. Besides spelling Golabek's name wrong, it completely fails to mention the entire purpose of the press release, ie that these players are not being offered new contracts and will be leaving.

Looks like a rush job that nobody checked.

• Agree 2

Agreed. A poorly worded statement that may well have been rushed out given that rumours were already rife.

As I asked in russell's thread, does anyone know if these 4 are the only ones being axed?

Edited by Bush

I dont think the quality of the statement has any impact on the point that is being made tbh.

What it says simply confirms 4 of our most loyal and somewhat 'legendary' playing staff will not be plying their trade at TCS next season.

The only surprise for me is Munro. I though that another year extention would be on the table at least.

Roy, an ICT legend and true gent, has not seen any action in ICT colours for some time, and I think his loan out to Brechin was the first true sign he'd be leaving at the seasons end.

Golly too has lacked game time this season, and with Gillet doing well since coming back from injury, he and shinnie may be all the left-back coverage we need?

Russell Duncan, who many know I have never rated, had his best season for us last term in my opinion. And a cracker it was too. Perhaps he'd found his level and hasn't been able to match those performances this year? He said himself that he thought he would be the player to be dropped next after any poor performance... a self-reflection on his own performances, or a 'face dont fit' scenario. I am sure only Terry, Mo and Russel know that?

Either way, I'd like to personally thank every single one of them for their loyalty towards the club i love, and wish every single one of them all the best for the future.

Maybe Dunfirmline and Hamilton will come a knocking after their possible summer clear-outs?

i will be sad to see these guys go but to be honest im not surprised. we all knew that players would have to make way to bring in new faces and at the end of the day how long do you hang on to someone ??

if they had a bad year next year then there would doubtles be calls of why didnt we let them go in the summer? i am trying to be a bit optomistic with this and its not easy but i have trust in Terry's talents for unearthing talent... plus they must be four shoe-ins for the next ICT hall of fame

speaking of that i dont fancy trying to vote on the next one as there are going to be so many candidates out there as we rebuild a fresh squad

Sad day for the players and their families but they are leaving as club heroes and not staying on until they are longer capable of doing a job for the team, they will always be remembered in a good light by our fans. Good luck to you all.

Didn't see this coming at all. Munro has been a key player to ICT for the last 6 seasons, 3 of which he was captain of. Golie and McBain i understand as they are literally on their last legs. If George Fraser's comments are anything to go by then these may have been rather difficult decisions to make but Terry Butcher has now got to justify these moves to us. I just hope in a years time that we can look back on this i think of it as the right thing to do.

I dont think the quality of the statement has any impact on the point that is being made tbh.

What it says simply confirms 4 of our most loyal and somewhat 'legendary' playing staff will not be plying their trade at TCS next season.

Except it doesn't even say that! You've got to read between the lines to draw that conclusion.

The P&J said that Rossco could be going as well :cry:

they will all be missed but got to remember how well they all did throughout the years! Not too surprised about Munro though but it will be weird not seeing him!

All together and at once? Without any prior warning? That's scary!

All I can think of is that Terry Butcher already has replacements lined up and, if so, must have been very busy over the past few weeks doing so. Because these are, apparently, very decisive moves and if he does not have, and ultimately cannot get in , very effective replacements then where would ICT be then, chums?

He can attest to the successes such as Doran and McDonald but these players are loan players and surely that type of player cannot be counted on to see the club through another few rigorous seasons in the SPL? They have ambitions too and, if they come in from England , we can probably assume that their sights are firmly set on the EPL in due course. And what if they get injured? If they do well they may be recalled from their mother club, or transferred out if that is possible, and if they are not doing well then what can Terry do with them if the club does not have the financial income to continue to pay them for non-playing or non-producing.?

IMHO a club with a view to the future should surely at least look to a solid core of players around which to build a team, and around which to use loan players to revolve in and out of, if that is the planned course of action.

The statement from Mr Fraser about the club's not intending, or not being able to afford, to sign longer term contracts than one or two years is significant. That being the case, then no player really can look to any kind of future security by signing for ICT and that must be a sobering thought for some if not scary overall as well.

This may be a sign of the times and no doubt Terry is ambitious and has his own ideas clearly set in his mind about all this and what he wants to achieve so maybe all we can do is to just sit and wait upon developments and have faith in him

I personally would like other posters to respond with their individual viewpoints since mine are mainly specxulative.

Except it doesn't even say that! You've got to read between the lines to draw that conclusion.

:blink: am I missing something?

and adam rooney is going as well

If that's true, all I can say is WTF! :amazed:The only pre-butcher regulars left off the top of my head wud be Esson and Tokley.

Probably sooner rather than later..............better get your nose firmly back on the grindstone, however, Adam. 3 goals against Celtic would help. :happy:

Because current performances, if off the boil, may not always guarantee....any "later".

If that's true, all I can say is WTF! :amazed:The only pre-butcher regulars left off the top of my head wud be Esson and Tokley.

Big difference here. If Rooney is indeed going then it's because it's the player's choice, not because Terry doesn't want him. I believe he was made a good offer and the ball is/was in his court.

Big difference here. If Rooney is indeed going then it's because it's the player's choice, not because Terry doesn't want him. I believe he was made a good offer and the ball is/was in his court.

I see.

Source ???

It is true to say Adam is going to be out of contract in a few weeks, but the club have not said he is surplus and he has not said he isn't signing a new contract if/when it is offered.

Please do not clutter up a factual thread with your own speculation

Interesting times. I guess part of me is as amazed as most other posters. Roy, Russell, Grant and Stuart have all made a massive contribution to Caley Thistle in the last decade. On that point, I think, we are all agreed. Playing time must be nearly up for both Roy and Golly but Munro and Duncan both have a few years left and clubs will be interested in them.

It's very easy for fans to get a bit sentimental about players who have been around for a long time. As ICT fans we have been used to previous managers tinkering with the squad each summer - two or three out and in. Terry's approach seems to be different and that doesn't mean it's wrong. The manager has got to be asking himself how he can improve Caley Thistle. How can he take them to the next level. If he's not doing that then he shouldn't be in the job.

All of these players have never been able to get ICT to the top six. With each passing year they will be less likely to contribute in a manner that will move ICT forward.

No doubt there will be others moving out too and everybody about to go out of contract will be feeling very nervous right now.

It looks like we could have a good few unfamiliar faces in place come the start of 2011-12 and the challenge for Butcher is twofold. First of all he need to be find players who are better than the ones he has disposed of. Secondly, he needs to ensure his new squad gels together quickly enough to make a reasonable start to the new season. The SPL can be a very unforgiving place for a club making a slow start.

Edited by DJS
  • Agree 6