FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Life events that could be comedy sketches !

Scotty

Got word this weekend that an old family friend who lives in South Africa is terminal with cancer. Sad story, but he has had a good innings, and as a musician who was both front and centre in some bands, and in studio as a session guitarist for many other famous musicians he has led a varied and interesting life so lets not dwell on that ..... its not the point of this post.

I went to his website to remind myself of some of his stories, and one, involving John Cleese, had me chuckling that it should have been a Monty Python sketch ...... in his own words, here is our old friend Joe Moretti ....

Pina and I were in Birmingham about 100 miles from London, doing a TV show one lunch time. I was nuts about John Cleese, He is a great hero of mine and I had always wanted to meet him. Now in those big tv studios there are miles and miles of corridors, and it's very easy to get lost, looking for dressing rooms, the right studio etc. So Pina and I are wandering from corridor to corridor and suddenly we see John Cleese coming towards us, obviously lost himself. Now it's not the done thing to say " Hey, You're John Cleese, I've always been a fan of yours " and all that shit, anyway I was late for my call, so on we went.

Five minutes later, still lost, we turn a corner and there's Mr Cleese still wandering around. No shit, this went on for about 20 minutes. Everytime we turned a corner there he was. It was very crazy and rather unnerving, and he kept doing that crazy little jump. Yes, it was Basil alright. Even while I was on set Pina kept bumping into him. I think he was still looking for his dressing room. So we finished the show and returned to London.

The following day Pina and I were driving to Swiss Cottage, North London, to do some shopping. Pina parked the car in a side street, I opened the car door and got out, not really watching what I was doing. Suddenly someone bumped into me. I looked up. It was John Cleese !! Again !! We both screamed, he hurried on past and Pina helped pull me out of the bushes into which I had hurled myself. I never did get a chance to speak to him.

http://www.joemoretti.org/page39.htm