FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

July 30th 2014

BornCaley

It will take a few spondoolachs and a load of voddy and cokes to entice me into forewording any CB book !!

Not nearly as many as it would take to entice me to accept and such ringing endorsement from IHE!

But I suspect that any club which has already been the subject of two books in its first dozen years or so really doesn't need another yet.

A 'Legends Game' or renenactment of the first game with the old boys is an awful idea! Sorry, but I just cannot see the attraction.

A commemorative shirt or '20 year' crest on the shirt sounds interesting though. At first I thought the idea of the using the Caley for home / Thistle away idea wasn't particularly good but it sounds better the more I think about it. The history pre-1994 is an important part of the club heritage and I think that if after 20 years people are still choosing not to watch ICT because the were either Caley or Thistle fans before the chances are they're not going to change now, and why should we bother about them?

Old Caley colours for the home strip and old Thistle colours for the away kit for season 2014/15 - great tribue to the history of the club and what has been achieved in such a relatively short time.

Personally I think the whole "Caley" home kit/"Thistle" away kit, sounds like a dreadful idea, unless all homes featured said top and all away games featured the other top. And anyway, why Caley at home? Why not Thistle at home? Sounds like the old Caley bias still exists to me to some degree if that were to come about. The anniversary of ICT, should be about ICT. While we must acknowledge that the club came from a merger of two others, we have one club now and that's what it should all be about.

Edited by Renegade
  • Agree 1

Old Caley colours for the home strip and old Thistle colours for the away kit for season 2014/15 - great tribue to the history of the club and what has been achieved in such a relatively short time.

I have to say that I agree strongly with Renegade here. No offence, but quite frankly I just can't think of a dafter more backward looking idea than this. As I've said before, Caley Thistle is now too far along the road for any of the merger problems to cause it any trouble. But to resurrect what is more or less the very same daft idea as surfaced early in 1994 and made a big contribution to the scenario which then almost made the club not happen at all is NOT a good idea!

One of the most important, helpful and forward looking initiatives of all happened in the second season when black and red were incorporated along with blue in the strip and it would be very unwise to do anything which appeared to reverse that very sensible move which if it had been possible a year previously would have made the merger process a lot simpler.

The other thing I would say is that although it might be nice if something happened to mark 20 years, this isn't exactly a watershed anniversary so there's no great need to push the boat out on it.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

The other thing I would say is that although it might be nice if something happened to mark 20 years, this isn't exactly a watershed anniversary so there's no great need to push the boat out on it.

The thing is that there is a lot wrong in the world and lots of gloom and doom about, so if there is a chance to celebrate something, then why not? The natural thing might be to leave things to the 25th anniversary but if part of the plan was to involve some of the original team they they will be that much older and some will have slown down a fair bit - and let's face it, some of them were pretty slow 20 years ago. Those 5 years can make quite a difference once you're in your 50s.

That's not to say there should not be a celebration after 25 years as well but I just like the idea of something, albeit something fairly small, to celebrate the continuing success of our club on a regular basis. Marking the success on a regular basis means we don't take the club for granted, instead we strengthen the identify of the club by celebrating it.

• Agree 1

Now could someone remind me? I think Jimmy Calder may still be the oldest player to turn out for ICT. Billy Urquhart was overtaken as oldest outfield player by Craig Brewster but I can't remember if CB also overtook JC?

Ask and ye shall receive .... bottom of page: http://caleythistleonline.com/index.php?app=ccs&module=pages&section=pages&folder=/CTO%20Internal/Club%20Info&id=7

I'd rather wait until the 25th anniversary for any commemorative top.

The blue home and red and black away top is not a good idea and never will be IMO, we are ICT not 2 Highland League teams anymore. We should be celebrating the red and blue stripes - that is ICT.

I do like the idea of an embellished crest on the tops that year tho, that is a good idea.

• Agree 2