FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SPL Neil Doncaster Warning

Dargo20

Revenue loss for who exactly?

Fans of Scottish football have stood up and voiced their opinion for doing the right thing and the one at the top of the SPL tree is still more interested in spread sheets than sporting integrity. Forget your CV Doncaster and how much the SPL had made since your arrival (if any) In business staff retire, leave, get sacked, life goes on, some companies fold but in this case all of the business customers (fans) have pledged to continue contributing money to the new co.

Rangers are actually in a fantastic position, no more high earners, still have a high turnover from loyal fans who will support their team through thick and thin and playing against 3rd div pt time opposition and all with local home grown tallent (which is every fans dream) now if they cant pay their players a wage thats on par with div 1 players then theyre feckin idiots. They will still have global merchandise sales plus a huge fanbase by the time they reach the SPL they should have a good bit of cash in the bank for the first time ever.

• Agree 2

Neil Doncaster has told SFL clubs that Sky, Espn cotracts are under threat as they require Rangers in SPL by season 2013/14 which he estimates revenue loss of £17.35 million.

That's an absolute disgrace that we have in TV deal in place based on certain teams being in the top league. Utterly disgusting.

Doncaster is a despicable cretin.

• Agree 2

Actually, I'm completely furious with this revelation. Can you imagine the scene - Rangers fighting against relegation on the last day of the season and have to win to stay up. With the score at 1 - 1, a player goes down in the box under no contact, the referee, knowing full well that Rangers have to be in the top league to retain a TV deal blows his whistle. But what does he give?

Suddenly, this orc raises his head from the stands:

_55347441_doncaster.jpg

PENALTY TO RANGERS!

They score and the TV deal is saved! Hurrah!

Edited by RiG

This guy is unbelievable and the sooner he is out of Scottish Football the better

Effectively what he has done is given the Old Firm a safety net so that if either club gets into trouble (as it has in the case of Rangers being brought to task over avoiding tax and using dual contracts) then he can roll out the news that all our TV deals are tied to the Old Firm and prevent them from being relegated or removed from the league due to the financial armageddon that would ensue.

I always used to joke about the SPL being called the Self Preservation League but this really takes the biscuit

...implication also being that if they were put into Div1 then there'd need to be a 'guarantee' they be promoted at first opportunity.

Scarcely believe football in Scotland could get more rediculous.

Today we have had Dungcaster telling us how much TV money clubs will lose if Sevco are not in SPL. We have Regan saying 6 Spl teams will go out of business if Sevco are not in SPL. And we have Sevco Chairman "apologising" for rangers ruining Scottish footbal.

Now call me cynical, but the day before the vote, are the SPL/SFA/Sevco bricking it? Looks like setting themselves up for an excuse to let Sevco into 1st Division!

What happens if Rangers are allowed to join the First Division / SPL2 but don't win the league? Would they just get immediately promoted? What if they do win the league but get relegated the next season? Abandon relegation?

...implication also being that if they were put into Div1 then there'd need to be a 'guarantee' they be promoted at first opportunity.

Scarcely believe football in Scotland could get more rediculous.

A banana republic dictator would be proud of the way the SPL is conducting itsel

Scottish football is as corrupt as Italian football now, at least the Italians look like they try to do something about it. In this country we bend over backwards to ensure the cheats, and thats what they are, ensure the cheats prosper!

Also as someone above says, Who exactally is this bad news for??? As far as i'm aware the tv deal is £80m over 4 years and the old firm get 85% of that. Even if its reduced to £15m over 4 years but is split equally, every club bar the old firm will actually be BETTER off!!

Get them in division 3 now or this fan will be lost to football in Scotland for good

Edited by Sir C the 3rd
  • Agree 2

Sky and ESPN are compounding this felony, someone should take action against them. This is sheer and blatant blackmail and corruption.

Rangers do not exist, this is a new team trying to invade Scottish football doesn't Doncaster and his cronies realise this? If they d0o not then they are not fit to be in office.

Time for change.

• Agree 1

If sky and espn don't want to be involved in the spl without the old firm then fine. F**k them.

As long as ict are still around I don't give a crap.

We will hardly be effected by this we only get 4-5 games shown on tv it's Celtic it'll effect most, so here's to the demise of Celtic. Cheers!

Someone pointed out on Pie and Bovril that the SPL costs SKY 2 percent of what the EPL costs and it gets something along the lines of a fifth of what EPL gets in ratings. Thats a pretty good return, granted you could argue that less people would watch without Rangers in the SPL but if there is competitive football on then people will still watch regardless of who is playing. I just don't buy into this "SKY are pulling out if newco aren't in it" nonsense.

• Agree 1

This whole sordid affair has totally feckin bored me but the antics of Doncaster and the pathetic "apology" by Murray have made us a total laffing stock.

Now who I do concur with is the Raith who hasnt minced his words or emotions:

"(We are being) bullied, rail-roaded, lied to," Hutton said on his arrival at Hampden.

"We have been threatened and bullied. It's not football as I know it.

"It was a ridiculous document that came out last week, whereby that threat was there if we don't vote for an acceptance into the First Division a breakaway SPL2 will come along and all those clubs that didn't vote won't be invited.

"What kind of a game are we running? Corrupt."

• Agree 1

This whole sordid affair has totally feckin bored me but the antics of Doncaster and the pathetic "apology" by Murray have made us a total laffing stock.

Now who I do concur with is the Raith who hasnt minced his words or emotions:

"(We are being) bullied, rail-roaded, lied to," Hutton said on his arrival at Hampden.

"We have been threatened and bullied. It's not football as I know it.

"It was a ridiculous document that came out last week, whereby that threat was there if we don't vote for an acceptance into the First Division a breakaway SPL2 will come along and all those clubs that didn't vote won't be invited.

"What kind of a game are we running? Corrupt."

The answer appears to be yes very corrupt, good quote IHE, I hope others voice their protests as strongly as Raith.

I really was looking forward to this season but it is becoming more and more farcical all the time.

My first love has always been football but this is knocking hell out of the romance.

Are you hearing rumours too that if Rangers end up in the 1st division then their fans are walking away from the club, their fans want to follow their team with honour and pride, they want to rebuild from division 3 and hold their heads high in doing so and not sneak into div 1 by the back door due to bullying and threats

• Agree 1

What about this excellent statement from Stranraer:

The committee of Stranraer FC met this evening to discuss the papers recently received in advance of the SFL clubs meeting. The papers indicate a number of proposals and scenarios to deal with the potential vacancy that would occur if the expulsion of an SPL club occurs this week.

The committee unanimously agreed that the proposals are produced in haste and are unconvinced about the justification for departing from the rules and standards that the SFL represent. As a club recently faced with possible extinction and fighting our way back from financial difficulties we fully understand the position that a club could find themselves placed in and as a supporters run club, fully understand the passions of the supporters of clubs affected by such an event.

We are not convinced at the emotive language currently being aired to describe the potential ramifications to our game should a NewCo not be given special case treatment and consider that the benefits that could be negotiated do not counter balance the damage that would be done to the credibility of the SFL as a governing body.

We hold the stance that it is our place to act in the best long term interests of Stranraer FC and for Scottish Football as a whole and see no reason to breach the integrity of the SFL by filling a vacancy at any level other than at the lowest tier. The possibility of placing a NewCo at any other level breaches the sporting competition of our organisation and compromises the very structure of our game. There should not be a special case made for any club and we believe that the proper place for a phoenix club to restart life is at the lowest level. We believe it is right and proper than any club should have the right to apply for the resulting vacancy and we would then form a view on which club we would support for election to any vacancy based on the presentation case made by the applicants.

Irrespective of the size, stature, history and resources of the club filling the vacancy, the opportunity exists for that club to find their way back to their natural tier in the league structure in a fair and equitable manner while being encouraged to trade and exist successfully within the means at their disposal.

Restructuring of the league set-up and governing bodies is complex and difficult with many differing views and interests across the clubs in the spectrum. The current proposal has been compiled as a reaction to the unique and unexpected circumstances we are faced with and while there are clearly a number of ingredients that have great merit, this is too great an issue to be dealt with in this seemingly indecent haste.

• Agree 2