FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Away wins

DoofersDad

I remember they once all ended in draws...mid 1990's when there were only 10 teams and 5 games. A guy at my (then) work won only £20 through our 'most correct results' sweepstake, staking a £1 amongst 20 of us. That was his 'ridiculous' line every week!

If he'd put that £1 on at the bookies he would have made probably £500!

If the typical odds for an away win are 2/1 (ie a 1 in 3 chance) then over 6 games the chances of a full set of away wins would be one in 729 (3x3x3x3x3x3), which over a 38 week season would mean you'd only expect it once every 19 years.

That can't be right, can it? My Higher matchs was a loooong time ago!

The maths is correct using your 1 in 3 chance scenario. But it would come up with the same answer for all home wins, or in fact, all draws.

As we know, winning away from home is generally harder, so if you were to use bookies odds for 6 away wins, a full set of 6 away wins would probably come out as one chance in a few thousand, but a set of six home wins would likely be one chance in about 50.

If the typical odds for an away win are 2/1 (ie a 1 in 3 chance) then over 6 games the chances of a full set of away wins would be one in 729 (3x3x3x3x3x3), which over a 38 week season would mean you'd only expect it once every 19 years.

That can't be right, can it? My Higher matchs was a loooong time ago!

Last season there were 66 away wins from 228 matches.  That is a rate of 1 in every 3.45 matches.

At that rate, the chances of all 6 matches being away wins is about 1 in 1700.

In a 38 week season, that works out at about once in every 44 years.

Mind you, with us and Celtic playing away and St Mirren and County at home, the odds of it happening this week must have taken quite a tumble!