FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Coverage of County game

Joe DiMaggio

It's quite staggering how far back we seem to have gone under John Hughes, I personally don't think it's all done to Yogi either if I'm being honest

Butchers hasty and somewhat secretive departure still makes me think things were far from right despite the fact we were up there with Celtic

I know I get accused of being negative at times but the amount of negativity directed by some towards Yogi is ludicrous considering he's only just in the door a matter of weeks

It takes time for a new manager to gel just look at Mr Moyes at Man Utd. It's always going to be difficult for a new man to come in when that club has been doing well

As for calling for his head that's madness and it won't happen as he's just been offered a 2.5year deal, I doubt we could afford to offload him anyway

Dougal

• Agree 3

Gutless performance, disjointed and wrongly selected team and the fiery performance we have seen from the majority of these players in previous derbies was nowhere to be found. 

Ross County for all their flaws as a side simply wanted it more, they pressed all over the pitch, were on to every second ball and when it came to aerial challenges they were the dominant team. 

Yogi may well have had no Foran or Vincent still to choose from and lost Marley Watkins early into the game but why oh why is he persisting with Shinnie at right back. He has been in charge of 3 home games that have seen us score only twice while leaking in 7. He has a perfectly good right back in Raven sitting waiting to get on - use him ffs!

Williams im sorry to say will never be a holding midfielder. The boy is an out and out winger. Hasnt got the strength or tenacity for where he's playing. Think the midfield situation will need to be analyzed in the window. We are far too lightweight in there. 

Toby is not the most graceful of players but he at least put a shift in and was prepared to put a shot at goal when it came his way, something that most others seem to bottle out of when they got towards the penalty area. 

In some respects I have sympathy for Hughes - he is trying to win over a majority of people that didnt want him or even imagine him being in charge to begin with but he has only taken 1 win from 6. 3 of those games being against teams near the bottom. He needs to get this team back to winning ways or he will find what support he has will further dwindle, 

County didnt even have to play that well today. Got 2 lucky breaks and shut up shop for their first win in 11. We gifted them that game.

Draper didnt help us with his red. Yet to see the footage but he seemed to lean in with his elbow. Bad time to lose our only holding midfielder. The boys really need to regroup and get back to the form both we and they know that they are capable of producing...

Rant over

• Agree 1

After the second half against Aberdeen, and Christie's performance against Celtic, I was certain that we would make changes given that Foran is out indefinitely.  As has been said before, the rot started against Morton but we'd been riding our luck with results for a while.  I never thought the slump would get this bad though...

Tremarco looked like he was covering the entire left side against Celtic, with no support from the midfielders.  We without a doubt need Raven and Doran back together on the right, and I'm undecided about whether to play Shinnie at left back or midfield - either would be an improvement from rb!

Doran and Ross were playing far too close time after time, and Draper was a timebomb waiting to happen.  Haven't seen replay, but ref certainly suggested elbow - silly silly lad if that's the case and let the team down badly if the decision was correct.

I wasn't expecting Toby to come on, thought it would have been Greenhalgh, Raven or Polworth but thought fair enough, we're going for it.  He tried, and showed a few decent touches but overall he didn't really look SPL standard (but then again, did any of our team today??).  I'm not going to criticise Williams if those who have seen him play more than I have are saying that was certainly not his best position, would be like saying Billy is a sh!t left back...  Talking of Billy, I truly fear that he will now jump ship if this is how we are playing. 

I said very early in the season that it was just as well we got our points on board, as we've never had a plan B and once other teams settle and gel and also realise that we are still playing the same system then we're stuffed.  Time for an overhaul by Hughes - no square pegs/round holes please, change formation and style to suit those who we have available rather than other way about.  We're not making use of the wide midfielders as it is, I'd be tempted to go for Shinnie, Doran and Watkins (if fit) as certain starters in midfield with the other 2 places being up for grabs by whoever has best week in training/fits system best taking the last place across a four man midfield and then Christie playing close to Billy. 

Finally, what really got to us today was Hughes' behaviour on sidelines.  Stood whispering to Shearer throughout the second half but offered no advice or direction to the guys on the pitch when they were crying out for it.  I'm not a fan of bawling and shouting at them and instilling fear, but there was no encouragement either.  Time for Hughes to show us why he got the job...

After the second half against Aberdeen, and Christie's performance against Celtic, I was certain that we would make changes given that Foran is out indefinitely. As has been said before, the rot started against Morton but we'd been riding our luck with results for a while. I never thought the slump would get this bad though...

Tremarco looked like he was covering the entire left side against Celtic, with no support from the midfielders. We without a doubt need Raven and Doran back together on the right, and I'm undecided about whether to play Shinnie at left back or midfield - either would be an improvement from rb!

Doran and Ross were playing far too close time after time, and Draper was a timebomb waiting to happen. Haven't seen replay, but ref certainly suggested elbow - silly silly lad if that's the case and let the team down badly if the decision was correct.

I wasn't expecting Toby to come on, thought it would have been Greenhalgh, Raven or Polworth but thought fair enough, we're going for it. He tried, and showed a few decent touches but overall he didn't really look SPL standard (but then again, did any of our team today??). I'm not going to criticise Williams if those who have seen him play more than I have are saying that was certainly not his best position, would be like saying Billy is a sh!t left back... Talking of Billy, I truly fear that he will now jump ship if this is how we are playing.

I said very early in the season that it was just as well we got our points on board, as we've never had a plan B and once other teams settle and gel and also realise that we are still playing the same system then we're stuffed. Time for an overhaul by Hughes - no square pegs/round holes please, change formation and style to suit those who we have available rather than other way about. We're not making use of the wide midfielders as it is, I'd be tempted to go for Shinnie, Doran and Watkins (if fit) as certain starters in midfield with the other 2 places being up for grabs by whoever has best week in training/fits system best taking the last place across a four man midfield and then Christie playing close to Billy.

Finally, what really got to us today was Hughes' behaviour on sidelines. Stood whispering to Shearer throughout the second half but offered no advice or direction to the guys on the pitch when they were crying out for it. I'm not a fan of bawling and shouting at them and instilling fear, but there was no encouragement either. Time for Hughes to show us why he got the job...

Yogi only applied for the job -these questions should be asked of Cameron -whilst it's clear foran is a player why was he given a 3year deal without a manager in place -stinks I'm afraid !!

Edited by Guest

Playin against the worst team in the league today and yet it was the most disgusting performance i've witnessed at tcs for 2-3 years !. Totally unacceptable. Whilst admitedly jh was not my 1st choice I think today was his make or break moment. Sorry but it will take improvement of epic proportions to get over this shambolic result ! Absolutely disgusted and embarassed right now......how can a team performing so well go to a team looking like relegation fodder ! Shocking. Sort it out jh or gtf !

• Agree 1

We were very poor again. County were winning every 50/50 ball and our play was breaking up far too easily. We really miss Foran. We no longer look dangerous goin forward and it would be nice if we could stop the long balls up top because nothing is coming from them. Raven should definitely be on the right and Shinnie on the left or even in central midfield. Terrible performance.

We were very poor again. County were winning every 50/50 ball and our play was breaking up far too easily. We really miss Foran. We no longer look dangerous goin forward and it would be nice if we could stop the long balls up top because nothing is coming from them. Raven should definitely be on the right and Shinnie on the left or even in central midfield. Terrible performance.

If hibs win today that's the gap down to 6 -no pressure AJ !!

Reading on here and talking at the game it seems obvious to all of the fans we need Raven back, we lack anything down the right and as per my post on the celtic thread the back 4 as is does not work. We have gone from a tight solid defence conceding few goals and scoring with play built up from the back and through the wings to letting in goals from both sides and not creating.

This sort of stubborn selection I feared from levein if he got the job, but not yogi - so lets sort this out.

Halftime against county I'd have put raven at RB, shinnie to LB and pulled williams for tremarco to sit and win the ball. Now with foran, draper and warren out and such a poor run I fear the next few games will yield little other than defeats.

If hibs win today that's the gap down to 6

I think we can forget about finishing above Hibs this season. (Or next, for that matter). Butcher has worked his magic there to bring about a quite remarkable transformation, even before any transfer dealings.

Got to hope that St J don't find a run of form and push us out of the top 6. That would be a catastrophe.

• Agree 1

Shinnie at RB puzzled me, he's best at left back, put raven in at RB, Shinnie to LB and then stick Tremarco in at CDM.

Williams didn't impress me and was hardly seen during the celtic game, if he's naturally a winger use him as an impact player ala Imre so that we give Doran/Watkins a break and bring on some fresh legs in the 2nd half.

Foran is missed, he literally has in the past gabbed players by the throat to motivate them in games, I fully expect Draper to be given the same permissions in future as sometimes ICT players need a kick up the a$$.

Ok guys. I'm fed up with the megalomania and negativity of some posters here. I suggest they return to the Old Filth or try to get a season ticket at Barcelona or Bayern Munich. Or donate their millions of pounds to lure Mourinho or Guardiola to Inverness.

That said, you won't read a lot from me for some time. I will still support and follow the team, but not on this forum. Hugh.

Well that'll save me half an hour trying every visit trying to read your writing!

• Agree 2

Does anyone else get the impression that Hughes totally underestimated the spectacle of the Highland Derby?  He seemed to approached that game as it was any other, while County went out all pumped and ready.  Did Hughes think the game was nothing more than a slightly bigger, say Hibernian v Dunfermline match?  Certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

Does anyone else get the impression that Hughes totally underestimated the spectacle of the Highland Derby?  He seemed to approached that game as it was any other, while County went out all pumped and ready.  Did Hughes think the game was nothing more than a slightly bigger, say Hibernian v Dunfermline match?  Certainly wouldn't be surprised if that's the case.

History repeating itself if that's the case then (not sure if it is tho). Remember our feeble performance in the 1st derby after we got relegated. Think Butcher and the guys got it after that!

Not managed to get to a game since Hughes took over and have to take onboard the comments of those who have yet I look at BBC stats for game and wonder whats what. Granted we didn't win but beeb says we had 59% possession against County's 41%. We had 11 shots on goal, 5 on target and scored 1. They had 4 shots with 2 on target and scored 2. That says to me that Fraser must have done a good job. That said there seems to be something very wrong with our finishing just now. Can Hughes really be blamed. He hasn't really had time to figure out the attributes of each player yet. Thats where Dunc's and Richie should be advicing. They know the players. The players know the players. The players are the same ones who've performed well before. We're without Richie as leader on the park and that seems to be having an effect. Also missing the Rave as has been said before but we should not be in a position where one or two players missing from the squad can have such an effect. That aspect has to be down to Butcher and not Hughes. This is not a defence of Hughes but more an observation of the realities. We were flying when everyone was fit but an injury or suspension and we can't cope.

History repeating itself if that's the case then (not sure if it is tho). Remember our feeble performance in the 1st derby after we got relegated. Think Butcher and the guys got it after that!

Hughes should be the most fired up of everyone for a derby. He's participated in many of the big ones in his career.

After the second half against Aberdeen, and Christie's performance against Celtic, I was certain that we would make changes given that Foran is out indefinitely. As has been said before, the rot started against Morton but we'd been riding our luck with results for a while. I never thought the slump would get this bad though...

Tremarco looked like he was covering the entire left side against Celtic, with no support from the midfielders. We without a doubt need Raven and Doran back together on the right, and I'm undecided about whether to play Shinnie at left back or midfield - either would be an improvement from rb!

Doran and Ross were playing far too close time after time, and Draper was a timebomb waiting to happen. Haven't seen replay, but ref certainly suggested elbow - silly silly lad if that's the case and let the team down badly if the decision was correct.

I wasn't expecting Toby to come on, thought it would have been Greenhalgh, Raven or Polworth but thought fair enough, we're going for it. He tried, and showed a few decent touches but overall he didn't really look SPL standard (but then again, did any of our team today??). I'm not going to criticise Williams if those who have seen him play more than I have are saying that was certainly not his best position, would be like saying Billy is a sh!t left back... Talking of Billy, I truly fear that he will now jump ship if this is how we are playing.

I said very early in the season that it was just as well we got our points on board, as we've never had a plan B and once other teams settle and gel and also realise that we are still playing the same system then we're stuffed. Time for an overhaul by Hughes - no square pegs/round holes please, change formation and style to suit those who we have available rather than other way about. We're not making use of the wide midfielders as it is, I'd be tempted to go for Shinnie, Doran and Watkins (if fit) as certain starters in midfield with the other 2 places being up for grabs by whoever has best week in training/fits system best taking the last place across a four man midfield and then Christie playing close to Billy.

Finally, what really got to us today was Hughes' behaviour on sidelines. Stood whispering to Shearer throughout the second half but offered no advice or direction to the guys on the pitch when they were crying out for it. I'm not a fan of bawling and shouting at them and instilling fear, but there was no encouragement either. Time for Hughes to show us why he got the job...

Yogi only applied for the job -these questions should be asked of Cameron -whilst it's clear foran is a player why was he given a 3year deal without a manager in place -stinks I'm afraid !!

Yesterday we were absolutely howling and I'm sure everyone agrees but since you've brought it up can you name me one ICT fan who wasn't absolutely delighted when they heard Richie had signed a new longterm contract?

• Agree 2

That says to me that Fraser must have done a good job.

You'd think so but no, bar the goal, Toby's volley over and Mckay's glorious chance in the opening minutes, Fraser had nothing more than routine saves to make throughout.  It also helps that from outside the box, Nick Ross and Aaron Doran couldn't finish their breakfast!

Hughes should be the most fired up of everyone for a derby. He's participated in many of the big ones in his career.

I wonder if he thought "Ach it's jus Rosh Cunty and Invernesh in tha wee Heelans, no a big yun lak Embra aw tha Auld Furim".

The players didn't look up for it at all and the fire they had under Butcher is no longer there.  People can say we're missing Foran and that's true, but that's still no reason to collapse into the garbage we've become.  Foran's a good captain now, but nonetheless, it's Hughes' job to motivate the players and come up with some good tactics (and he's been found wanting in that regard so far).  If Foran is now a bigger player at this club than the manager and means more to the players, then you really have to question what Hughes is really here for.

Edited by Renegade

I don't think he underestimated the Highland Derby, he may have underestimated Ross County - I know I did. I think what yesterday did was prove that form definitely goes out of the window when it comes to derby matches.

If hibs win today that's the gap down to 6 -no pressure AJ !!

Obsessed

Obsessed

Obsessed

Obsessed

Obsessed

• Agree 1

Absolutely shocking were the only two (censored) words I had for yesterday's performance. Hughes has to shoulder the blame for it and for not being able to change things, and not laugh it off like the 0-1 loss to Celtic. He had a reputation at Falkirk for accepting close one goal defeats. However, that is just not acceptable, even against Celtic.

I also heard yesterday that Raven has a stress fracture of his leg and would not last long if he came on. Why was he even on the bench then? We could have brought Devine into the middle and pushed Meekings to right back. Warren was more effective in that position too when we went three at the back. What's happened to Matthew Cooper?

It looks like we will have to go with Polworth and Shinnie in central midfield for the Motherwell game. Doran must play on the right and not get lost on the left or middle as he was so often yesterday. 

You got a gripe with KC? I'd express an opinion that Forans deal had been on the table long before the Hibs vacancy came about but given the time it takes for all parties to get together to sign deals the completion came about after Butcher left. Contrary to what some may believe its not usually managers who actually do the negotiating of contracts. Managers make recommendations and others behind the scenes do the paperwork so Richie signing was just business as usual for the people running the club.

I'm also willing to believe that this signing is going to be very good for this club for many more years than the current contract.

Absolute rubbish. No leadership on the park, and there looked to be no leadership off the park either. I doubt Shinnie's ability as a leader. JH and DS were in a constant close head to head cuddle but managed to produce no meaningful changes.

The only good thing to come out of yesterday was the performance of Polwarth who had an excellent spell on the park. His passing and vision far surpassed everyone of the big time charlies we had on the park. Gutted.