FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Should Hughes be SACKED?

Guest Mahonio

Wow, some people on here really must hate poor John. Murderers Rapists Armed Robbers etc don't even get the comments this poor guy gets. Maybe those who don't like it should GTF and find another team to support - one which has some plonker of a manager who will keep them happy.

That's what I like to see.  A poster treating those with different viewpoints with respect whilst offering well argued justification for his own point of view.

Caleyboy, you say that if we don't like it we should GTF.  OK, lets Get The Facts. 

• Hughes took over at a point when the team's  performance and status was at it's highest level in the history of the club. 
  • Since then our results have represented relegation form.
  • In March we lost 5 - 0 at Parkhead.  That equalled our worst ever loss in the SPL
  • The following month with no lessons learnt we did even worse by losing again at Parkhead but this time 6 - 0.  Not only did this beat the unwanted record equalled in March, it equalled the worst defeat in the history of the club.
  • March also saw us suffer a record home cup defeat.  In all the years we were in the lower leagues and for all the years we were holding on in the bottom 6 of the SPL, the heaviest home cup defeat had been 3 - 0.  It is now 5 - 0

When a club at the top of its game and with an excellent squad of players gets a new manager, some loss of form may be expected before things pick up again, but you don't expect to suddenly collapse to relegation form and suffer a series of record defeats.  Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned about this and to voice that concern.

There are several on this forum who seem determined to vilify those of us who are expressing concerns.  I assume that those who dish the abuse out are perfectly happy at the transformation in the club's results and the new records set since Hughes has taken over, but it would be really nice if they could, for once, explain why they are apparently happy with this state of affairs.  If these facts don't concern you, then please tell us why!  It would be far more positive than aiming mindless abuse at those of us who care enough about what is happening at the club we love to voice our concern. 

• Agree 7

Perhaps those who are accusing others of disloyalty or wanting the club to fail can explain how it follows logically that those who have concerns about the current manager, many of whom have supported the club or one of it's two predecessors for decades, are by voicing those reservations being disloyal to the club ? As far as I can see, whilst there may be differences of opinion, not a single regular poster wants anything but the best for ICT.

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

Wow, some people on here really must hate poor John. Murderers Rapists Armed Robbers etc don't even get the comments this poor guy gets. Maybe those who don't like it should GTF and find another team to support - one which has some plonker of a manager who will keep them happy.

That's what I like to see. A poster treating those with different viewpoints with respect whilst offering well argued justification for his own point of view.

Caleyboy, you say that if we don't like it we should GTF. OK, lets Get The Facts.

• Hughes took over at a point when the team's performance and status was at it's highest level in the history of the club.
  • Since then our results have represented relegation form.
  • In March we lost 5 - 0 at Parkhead. That equalled our worst ever loss in the SPL
  • The following month with no lessons learnt we did even worse by losing again at Parkhead but this time 6 - 0. Not only did this beat the unwanted record equalled in March, it equalled the worst defeat in the history of the club.
  • March also saw us suffer a record home cup defeat. In all the years we were in the lower leagues and for all the years we were holding on in the bottom 6 of the SPL, the heaviest home cup defeat had been 3 - 0. It is now 5 - 0
When a club at the top of its game and with an excellent squad of players gets a new manager, some loss of form may be expected before things pick up again, but you don't expect to suddenly collapse to relegation form and suffer a series of record defeats. Personally I think it is perfectly reasonable to be concerned about this and to voice that concern.

There are several on this forum who seem determined to vilify those of us who are expressing concerns. I assume that those who dish the abuse out are perfectly happy at the transformation in the club's results and the new records set since Hughes has taken over, but it would be really nice if they could, for once, explain why they are apparently happy with this state of affairs. If these facts don't concern you, then please tell us why! It would be far more positive than aiming mindless abuse at those of us who care enough about what is happening at the club we love to voice our concern.

Well said!!

These people are quite happy to give their opinions without being told to gtf yet we voice our opinion yet get told to gtf.

We are allowed an opinion just the same as they are and I don't expect to get abuse for that opinion, its always been same, every opinion or post by me has got an abusive response yet people wonder why I say I am hated, well thats why!!!

Is there any point in this thread anymore? Everyone is allowed an opinion and debate is good but it is boring seeing long posts of facts that have been used to argue each side over and over again. The biggest fact remains that if we have no money to add players to the playing squad (i think we will have enough for one or two which is all we need) then we wont have money to pay off Hughes for the rest of his contract so people can argue until they are blue in the face but he wont be sacked any time soon. As for my stance i am worried that a fluid team that played teams off the park has suddenly started spluttering like an engine on the last few few drops of fuel. The style he wants to create is good however and given pre season hopefully the players will be more responsive come the start of next season. Time needs to be given and we shall then see what happens we as supporters can only support the team and i hope for Hughes that next season this thread becomes null and void  

• Agree 2

A passing game ? I don't understand

How can you teach free transfer players to outpass Celtic?  Against better players you have to adapt your style.

I don't understand

A team like ICT is not built for passing, I am sorry John Hughes, When I see our once superb goalkeeper trying to short pass the ball to fullbacks who are obviously uncomfortable in not only receiving the ball under pressure , but unaware how to first touch then play then lay, I shudder.

Real Married, don't play a passing game Atletico certainly don't, Maybe Milan do, I want to know which underdog team these days actually play a short passing game. What is Hughes trying to prove? Our only hope with players of the calibre we attract is to thump the ball into the channels and chase it. If we are more physical than the other side we would always have a  chance. Maybe years of watching the Wombles in Croydon have coloured my judgement, I don't know. But to throw out the long ball game with the bath water,  willy Nilly really is the pits.

Is there any point in this thread anymore? 

I am rapidly coming to the conclusion there is not !!!

The mods have been spending more time hiding posts and dealing with personal abuse than is acceptable. This thread is on a yellow card now that was borderline straight red .... the same can be said for a number of posters in the thread.

There appears that a lot of posters are suffering from "gaslighting". :ohmy:

They certainly are. I'm even starting to believe I've always agreed with you.

By the start of next week, I'll be liking posts by Mahonio and George.

We can't come to a conclusion about how much it would cost to pay off Hughes as we don't know the contract. I would be surprised if we couldn't as Yogi would be in a weak negotiating position during hiring.

The 'needs to be given time' argument is basically what the thread is about. Will it cost more and be more damaging to allow Hughes that time given his record here and elsewhere? I think we will come to regret it, both in a football sense and financially.

I would rather a manager who is above 65%!!

Then you really are asking people to tell you to go and support someone else.

A win rate of 65% or more would lead to a minimum of 74 points, and that's assuming none of the other games were drawn. An equal split of wins and draws would mean a minimum of 81 points. Since we adopted the current set up in the top division, no club outside the Old Firm has achieved this total.

If you are going to demand change, at least set your expectations at a reasonable level, otherwise you are doomed to fail.

If Fans are getting abuseive, then they do so because they care. The problem goes far deeper than the smooth running of this web platform.

We have a serious situation here.  An ostrich in the ground approach will not work. Fans have a right to vent their feelings.

If their command of the English language is so poor the only way they can do it is by using pit face expressions than so be it.

However I do realise the moderators have a job to do. But having said that feelings are running deep . Nobody wants to be fighting relegation next season, or our best players asking to leave.

If contributors are put off by pit talk I  am sorry for them. But we live in a world where such behaviour is commonplace

• Agree 1

We have come from being in a position of 2nd in the top flight to one where we have had 3 record defeats in 2 months and people think this thread has run it's course!  Unbelievable! I would have thought there was plenty of scope for lively and constructive discussion.  If people don't like the thread or are bored of it, the answer is simple - don't read it.  If you do read it but are happy with current form and results then either give some constructive arguments as to why you hold that view or refrain from posting.

• Agree 1

We have come from being in a position of 2nd in the top flight to one where we have had 3 record defeats in 2 months and people think this thread has run it's course!  Unbelievable! I would have thought there was plenty of scope for lively and constructive discussion.  If people don't like the thread or are bored of it, the answer is simple - don't read it.  If you do read it but are happy with current form and results then either give some constructive arguments as to why you hold that view or refrain from posti 

Problem is its the same posters on both sides of the arguement posting the same thing over and over again. As the season ends in a week there wont be results to post about!

• Agree 2

If we get relegated next season, because we don't sort out this mess now. It will cost ICT far more than compensation.

If as expected Rangers re-emerge from banishment. A major drop in gate money especially in the now unlikely event  ICT remain a top 6 club.

The board have to act now or the club will be joining Ross in the lower league, that is for sure.

Do we need to pay compensation?. ICT can make Hughes Director of Football or a Scout, or send him out to help the grounds man

Or work in the kitchens . Compensation is only paid if he is sacked, or am I wrong again? 

Take notice of Doofers Dad he puts a perspective on this far better than I can?

Thank god we only have a few games to the end of the season - maybe this thread will disappear - I don't think I have experienced a more negative topic. Do us all a favour admin and close it down before everyone falls out.

• Agree 1

Thank god we only have a few games to the end of the season - maybe this thread will disappear - I don't think I have experienced a more negative topic. Do us all a favour admin and close it down before everyone falls out.

This thread is probably a good barometer of people's optimism. People are starting to worry. Or worry more, depending on where they started.

Guest Mahonio

I would rather a manager who is above 65%!!

Then you really are asking people to tell you to go and support someone else.

A win rate of 65% or more would lead to a minimum of 74 points, and that's assuming none of the other games were drawn. An equal split of wins and draws would mean a minimum of 81 points. Since we adopted the current set up in the top division, no club outside the Old Firm has achieved this total.

If you are going to demand change, at least set your expectations at a reasonable level, otherwise you are doomed to fail.

For the last time, I WILL NOT SUPPORT ANOTHER TEAM JUST BECAUSE SOMEONE WANTS ME TO, I gave an opionion which I am entitled to and if you don't like it then fair enough but thats one abusive post aimed at me and THREE times that I have been told more or less to gtf, give it a bloody rest ffs!!

A lot of people fell out long before this thread was around.

Edited by TopSix

This thread is beginning to be an embarrassment. That there are fans who are happy to see Hughes continue to mould a team and accept short term pain is undoubtably true. That there are fans who see no improvement being possible from a manager they have no faith in is also undoubtably true. However, the vast majority of us - and not just CTO users - are sat in the middle watching both sides belittle each other, hurtle sarcasm and borderline abuse and then sit back and sactimoniously take offence for 35 pages. 35 pages - and we're not even finished with the half a season that Hughes has been in charge. Meanwhile others look on and wonder what on earth is going on. All views are, being personal ones, equally valid and have to be respected. Before either side claim that their "consituency" is bigger, have you asked? I have, actively seeking out and listening to the views of those who shout loudest at games and that's why I think that it's a minority that want John Hughes sacked.

I think we are all adult enough to know that no matter how high feelings run that the board will not act on any of the concerns of a minority (albeit sizeable) of the support at this stage as results over the season do not warrant it. It doesn't matter whether Butcher or Hughes are responsible depending on your view, so how's about getting more people into the ground, offering support and pushing the team over the hurdle of the last three games staring tomorrow. Well?

• Agree 1

I agree Davie, all this worrying about the future of this club potentially being squandered for the sake of Yogi's vision is hardly worthy of our time.

Lets go talk about stripes or no stripes elsewhere.

The happy clappers complacency is mind boggling, if anything I'd suggest they go support another club in the Highland League who are in dire need of people willing to clap along to any old guff.

The post match interview with Hughes after the Celtic game has given me nightmares this week, the "reporter" should've asked him how many goals Celtic have scored from 80 yards down the park after a clearance this season.  You clear it and push up, its not rocket science, every team up against a superior opponent does that and sometimes it works.  When do they ever outplay them with tapping it about?

Edited by clacher_holiday2

I'll be at our last 3 games giving my full support to the team, as I always am, but this does not stop me having major concerns over the way the results have nose dived since mid December and it does not stop me cringing virtually every time our manager gives an interview. This is a fans forum and as fans we have the rite to give our opinions and if some opinions don't follow the party line why threaten to shut it down. If certain posters are being abusive ban them not everyone.

In response to say the number of people calling for Hughes to be sacked is the minority, I agree, but so is the number of people wanting him to stay, the majority of people are unsure due to length of time in job measured against bad results.

• Agree 1