FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Transfer Window approaching.

Guest Shaun

Thankfully there is no link to him so I don't know why its being discussed but I for one certainly wouldn't welcome him at our club. Crime and punishment and people deserve to rebuild their lives but he shows no remorse or acknowledgement of his crime so for that reason alone I hope he never graces Scottish football. Anyway looks like he is joining another English club so no need to discuss any further.

I notice D Utd have signed yet another lower league youngster and given past history over the last few years and looking at their squad they do very well at it, is this just down to the scouts or the coaching they have in place. While I accept we cant afford even small transfer fees why are we (and other SPFL clubs) not doing more to sign young players from the lower leagues?

We no longer have Steve Marsella doing 100,000 miles a year hunting them down as I suspect we have no money to pay more wages and no position in the squad at present but let s see what end of season brings

I hate the January window - it only serves to unsettle everybody. whether any of the rumours are true or garbage, they don't help the togetherness of any team. Of course,supporters of the big fish love it - "who will we get to strengthen our squad?" they cry. For everybody else, it's "who are we going to lose?" I'm sure we'll not escape unscathed come February - I just hope that if we do lose one or more that we get decent compensation!

Edited by PerfICT
  • Agree 1

If nobody wanted any of our players then I would be worried.

We have to accept that other clubs can offer more money which obviously attracts the players as does the prospect of playing in front of much bigger crowds week in, week out  .In the meantime the move towards getting players on longer term deals increases the chance of getting a transfer fee when they go.  And go they will. 

This is still essentially Butcher's team.  The test for Hughes will be whether he can replace players leaving with players who he can develop into the type of players who can keep us challenging for honours in Scotland's top flight.

It may have been Butcher's selection but John Hughes has made them the team they are today. He had 'eye' enough to keep and shape them where many a new manager would have rushed their 'own' players in.

I have no worries about any replacements he brings in, they may not 'star' overnight but he will work and mould them to fit.

• Agree 3

Yip good post - and to add - I can recall a lot of peeples thinking that the departure of the narcissist would be followed by a mass player departure. We were never going to keep hold of Shinnie and Christie will follow in time. Not sure now about wee Billy as his form has dropped quite significantly this season. I find it as interesting as there is little gossip about incomers which can only be positive.

Well if Manchester United can't get Bale then I'd fully expect the money to go on a multi million £ move for Shinbone, obviously at a deflated value due to his contract situation. Around £30m I'd expect. Enough to fund a big money move for a suitable replacement for him and Mckay.

Just saw James Dean buying a rail ticket from Chorley to Inverness. Watched him get on the train and he sat beside Andy Johnson.

:lol:  I have been expecting that post since the transfer window opened, You should have let us know earlier so that a welcome reception party could have been arranged.  :notworthy:

Maybe Marley should get rid of his agent and listen to Greg Tansey instead.  Agents tend to get significant percentages from the deals they broker and therefore often act in their own interest rather than the interests of the player.  I'm never clear why professional footballers see the need to have them.  There must be a better way of arranging movement of players between clubs.

• Agree 2

Agents are a blight on the game. They don't add anything, but take plenty out. They destabilise players and teams, hyping up offers and promises of untold wealth. I wonder how this Polish team even heard of Marley? Could it be the agent hawking his wares around every team in Europe, regardless of whether they are a good move for him or not? So we develop players so that agents can reap the rewards.

• Agree 2

I see in the daily express again that Marley Watkins' agent is talking up the interest in Poland, Scotland and England for Marley - Can't see him staying unfortunately.

I read as "there has not been as much interest in my player as I hoped so I'll make it look like there has". If there was genuinely a huge amount of interest, I think the agent would not be sating this. Agents are just leeches taking monet out of the game and putting nothing back in.

I see in the daily express again that Marley Watkins' agent is talking up the interest in Poland, Scotland and England for Marley - Can't see him staying unfortunately.

I read as "there has not been as much interest in my player as I hoped so I'll make it look like there has". If there was genuinely a huge amount of interest, I think the agent would not be sating this. Agents are just leeches taking monet out of the game and putting nothing back in.

You paint a good picture there regarding agents. It's all water lilies under a bridge as far as I'm concerned. :cry:

• Agree 1

If his agent engineers a move to another club where Watkins gets paid more than he would do at ICT then I would say he has done a decent job. That's what they are there for - to get the best deals for their clients.

• Agree 1

I believe the rules relating to agents is/has changed recently. Registration used to be quite expensive and regulative but I am told that the conditions have now been drastically eased and opens the market to anyone without having to lodge a "bond". If this is correct - Look out!

I believe the rules relating to agents is/has changed recently. Registration used to be quite expensive and regulative but I am told that the conditions have now been drastically eased and opens the market to anyone without having to lodge a "bond". If this is correct - Look out!

Not sure about that but did the rules not change whereby it's the player who's responsible for the agents fee and not the signing club?

First and foremost, they are there to get the best deals for themselves. And that usually means persuading the player to move.

Don't agree. Most decent agents will have the interests of their clients foremost. Very few players will move for less money.

First and foremost, they are there to get the best deals for themselves. And that usually means persuading the player to move.

Don't agree. Most decent agents will have the interests of their clients foremost. Very few players will move for less money.

Doubt Tansey and Adam Rooney would agree that going for more money helped their careers. Do agents really know what improves football players because more money often results in less games and less exposure and potentially a slide into lesser leagues . These players should be careful what they wish for!