Coronavirus - Season on hold

tm4tj

On 3/14/2020 at 4:17 PM, bdu98196 said:

Depending on how long the 'break' is (anything more than a few wks) then expect the season to voided worldwide . For 20/21 see this season reset to game zero

Given the latest chat of 13wks of restrictions up to 6 months then this is looking increasingly likely - unless (like in the HL- which has no real impact if winner or bottom due to no promotion/relegation) teams within a league all agree on the outcome for title & relegation then void can be the only sensible outcome.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree but sadly that's the world we're living in. It's just pure greed when the majority of fans have taken a 20 percent drop and many are getting nothing at all!

On 3/28/2020 at 8:40 AM, Gringo said:

Yes it would. Had plans to come up for that and spend a weekend in Inverness to celebrate with family. Had other plans too whilst up there. Sadly had to cancel the whole trip by heeding the Gov advice.....unlike some Royal twit...ahem!

Aye Gringo it's hit us like that too. We weren't going to be able to make the trip for the final but were to be back home later for a week to take in the DU home game and Partick away on the way back down south - gutted as it was my only opportunity for a game this season.

On the club website, all players and the vast majority of the club’s staff are furloughed. The club is paying the the additional 20% to make up all wages to the normal level.

A sensible move which will hopefully help minimise outgoings and get the club through this. 

They also hope to make an announcement about season tickets in the next 10 days or so. 

Apparently, the PFA in England have issued a  statement and said that their members in the EPL on an average of £60,000 a week should not take a wage cut as that would be 'detrimental to the NHS' depriving the country of tax revenues.

If they are too greedy and selfish to share some of the pain they should just be honest and say so rather than insulting our intelligence.

I've just seen in yesterday's paper that the English and Scottish FAs have received permission from UEFA to remove the Saturday afternoon TV blackout for the remainder of this season.  This would enable closed-door games to be televised, should the season be restarted.

Personally, I still don't see the season being restarted, despite UEFA's insistence on no admittance to next season's European club competitions unless the season is finished.

For a start, it would be impossible to restart immediately permission was given, because players will not be match-fit and the risk of injury would be high.

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Apparently, the PFA in England have issued a  statement and said that their members in the EPL on an average of £60,000 a week should not take a wage cut as that would be 'detrimental to the NHS' depriving the country of tax revenues.

If they are too greedy and selfish to share some of the pain they should just be honest and say so rather than insulting our intelligence.

I'm surprised they are not arguing for a pay rise as obviously this would mean even more taxes going in to boost the NHS.

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

But a lot of footballers are paying 50% tax on a substantial amount of their salary.

For example, a player earning £100,000 a week will be paying 50% tax on £55,000 of his salary (and the rest as well) so therefore they would be contributing £22,500 a week (and the rest) in tax towards the NHS and other things.

If you were to cut players wages down to £60,000 a week then only £15,000 would be getting taxed at 50% (or £7,500) as well as the rest.

Whilst I agree that players are overpaid they are contributing a fair chunk towards the cost of the NHS already. It's been an excellent example of projecting by the Tories to shift the blame onto others to help people forget it is down to them that the NHS has suffered so many funding shortfalls in the past 10 or so years.

I'm sure the likes of Johnson, Hancock and Mogg will rush to take pay cuts to do their bit as well...

4 hours ago, RiG said:

Whilst I agree that players are overpaid they are contributing a fair chunk towards the cost of the NHS already.

I have no idea on the actual answer but are players at the top end actually PAYE or are they direct PSC (Ltd companies) or via Umbrella companies (run by agents or sports management companies)?

21 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

I have no idea on the actual answer but are players at the top end actually PAYE or are they direct PSC (Ltd companies) or via Umbrella companies (run by agents or sports management companies)?

No idea but even if they are it's not like there are plenty of wealthy businessmen/women, companies and a bunch of others doing likewise. Why go after footballers? Within his own party you have people snaffling £15,000 for giving short speeches (May) accepting all expenses paid for holidays (Johnson) and tax dodging companies (Mogg and family) all of whom are happy to grab as much cash as they possibly can. Perhaps they could lead by example and take a pay cut to show solidarity with the NHS they have short changed for almost a decade.

I think a lot of wealthy businessmen/women couldn't hold a candle to the wealth of the average English top flight ball kicker, who probably pays nearly as much in creative accountancy fees as he does in straight tax.

And now they're after poor old Kyle Walker,  footballers really do get the sh1t end of the stick in the PL.

21 hours ago, RiG said:

But a lot of footballers are paying 50% tax on a substantial amount of their salary.

For example, a player earning £100,000 a week will be paying 50% tax on £55,000 of his salary (and the rest as well) so therefore they would be contributing £22,500 a week (and the rest) in tax towards the NHS and other things.

If you were to cut players wages down to £60,000 a week then only £15,000 would be getting taxed at 50% (or £7,500) as well as the rest.

Whilst I agree that players are overpaid they are contributing a fair chunk towards the cost of the NHS already. It's been an excellent example of projecting by the Tories to shift the blame onto others to help people forget it is down to them that the NHS has suffered so many funding shortfalls in the past 10 or so years.

I'm sure the likes of Johnson, Hancock and Mogg will rush to take pay cuts to do their bit as well...

The only people who benefit from players taking a wage cut are the already wealthy owners and executives.  It won't stop them furloughing non playing staff. 

Other than as a government deflection tactic there's not much sense to this witch-hunt on players.  The players themselves have stated they want to help and some have floated having a % of salary deducted and put directly to funding good causes (NHS equipment etc.)

This article is well worth a read Football 365 article

32 minutes ago, Hiro said:

The only people who benefit from players taking a wage cut are the already wealthy owners and executives.  It won't stop them furloughing non playing staff. 

Other than as a government deflection tactic there's not much sense to this witch-hunt on players.  The players themselves have stated they want to help and some have floated having a % of salary deducted and put directly to funding good causes (NHS equipment etc.)

This article is well worth a read Football 365 article

I agree. It's a fantastic deflection tactic by the Tories and they've played a blinder with it. You've now got folk thinking that players taking a wage cut will help when in fact it robs the NHS of more money through the tax they would be paying.

If the Government really want wealthy people to pay more for public services (which I agree with), then they should be taxing them properly including their rich donor pals and the billionaires.

The Government has made a lot of pledges and commitments to provide financial support.  Inevitably it will not reach all who most urgently need the support but it will help a lot of folk.  It will also cost an awful lot of money and short of borrowing it, there appears to be no plan of where it is going to come from.  Some emergency measures to raise taxes in the short term would not go amiss.  As most of us in a position where we are unable to go out and spend as much money as we usually do, those whose income has not been adversely affected by the current situation should be in a position to pay a bit more tax to help those less fortunate.  The Tory party has always been the party of low tax, but they are making spending commitments like never before.  So perhaps its time to finally hit the very rich with some serious taxation and impose some more moderate tax hikes for the relatively well off.

Once all of this is over we need to have a fundamental review of who we value and rely on most in society and start to reward them accordingly.

If the Tory government suddenly forget the value and commitment of the hundreds of thousands of nurses, carers, cleaners, shop workers and others who have got us through this crisis then the electorate need to remind them at the first opportunity.

Listen, the majority of the EPL high earners will have smart accountants, like many celebrities, who minimise their tax bills and won't be paying anything like the tax they should. That is the real annoying thing for me and these players whinging like Wayne Rooney really pisses me off.

47 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Once all of this is over we need to have a fundamental review of who we value and rely on most in society and start to reward them accordingly.

If the Tory government suddenly forget the value and commitment of the hundreds of thousands of nurses, carers, cleaners, shop workers and others who have got us through this crisis then the electorate need to remind them at the first opportunity.

But in reality, we will return to the greed of yesterday's society and the idolatry of false celebrity.

And unless a proper funding solution can be found, paying the nhs staff more like what they are worth will surely deprive the nhs infrastructure of the billions it needs to maintain already below par levels of investment in materials, equipment and support function.

I can't see the solution being possible with only public sector finance .

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj pinned this topic