FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

v Dundee Utd Jan 2024

tm4tj

We badly need a creative midfielder and a striker not defenders! My first impressions on Carragher was he isn't any better than what we have/had. He loves a safe pass and just looked to foul Utd players. Danny Devine was superb tonight. Let's hope results go our way tomorrow 

Edited by BobbyDazzler
  • Agree 3

6 hours ago, Satan said:

On a brighter note, our manager didn't get sent off tonight.

I bet it was close after that late 'stonewall' penalty claim 😆

From my comfy vantage point some 460 miles South of the stadium, I though we played quite well. Utd weren't brilliant though so maybe that made us look better? Devine was my man of the match. Not sure about Carragher though. As mentioned in other posts, too many safe passes and defo should have picked up a yellow. We had several chances to pull the trigger but, for whatever reason, decided to pass it back or go square. Harsh that we didn't get at least a point as I thought we were the much better side. I also had to chuckle when Dodds mentioned the lack of options on the bench. Broomhill are up next so hopefully we can use this match as shooting practice before heading to Starks Park :ponder:

• Agree 2

Shaw is a right winger and is being played in the wrong position imo. I really wish we would take risks in the final third and cross from deep/more often. It was maddening and boring to watch. Back to John Hughes style, hard to beat but don’t have the quality Hughes had on the books. 

Ironically we look like we need a striking coach, but you’d think with Dunc and Billy we’d be well covered in that dept. Hopefully our philosophy changes and new faces make for a new dynamic for us.

Losing to another late goal was a sickener as I thought we were the better team on the night.

As others have said, we took the safe option too often and as a result didn’t make best use of our wingbacks.

Shaw and Longstaff are out of position when we play with 3 (or 5) at the back, which doesn’t let them be as creative as they can be.

On a positive, if we can maintain that level of performance against other teams and be prepared to shoot on goal we should survive ok. Just a pity it’s Raith in our next league game.

• Agree 2

If we (DF) are going to continue 3/5 at the back then we don't yet have the 11 players to pull it off, particularly in centre midfield/behind striker. Longstaff and Shaw aren't the solution.

• Agree 1

We played very well in 2/3 of the pitch but were woeful up front.  I just don't get the negativity of the approach.  It is as though the tactic is to pass to feet through the defence for a final tap in for a goal.  That is never going to happen.  When Longstaff first came here, he looked like an exciting player who would take defenders on and have a pop at goal.  It seems that was coached out of him by Dodds and that is continuing under Fergusson. Time and time again both he and Harper had the ball wide and had the chance either to take the defender on or to play a ball into the space behind the defender and just about every time they cut inside and played a safe ball square or backwards. I'm not for a minute suggesting a gung ho approach, but we do urgently need to introduce a bit more positivity in our forward play.

By far the most positive thing on the night for this old codger was the brilliant support from the youngsters in section E.  For a change there was some real atmosphere in the ground which made the rather boring fare on the park seem somewhat more exciting than it really was.  I'm sure the team really appreciated it too.  Well done guys!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

I totally agree with DD about the young supporters in the north stand. The atmosphere was fantastic and I hope that they will come to more home games this season. 

• Agree 3

I would echo a lot of what has been said and the main point being the need for another striker (one that can score goals preferably 🤔) and for current players to be more direct in the final third. However that said we wuz robbed last night 🥷🏻 a ninja steal that. Also I was thinking the penalty decision would have been given in most other professional leagues at the moment; but really I came to the conclusion that it would actually have been given if it was at the other end of the pitch.  Different subject the Dunfermline game cancelled due to waterlogged pitch ?? There’s a bit of debate around that one 🤣🤣

• Like 1

Again from afar on the box I thought that there were a lot of positives. I thought Carragher was solid and has a lot more to show. He evidently did not want to make any errors in his first outing and was probably told to play tippy happy, plus he has got to get used to the system and players around him. Devine was excellent. I have always viewed Shaw as being a number 10 as he doesn't have the pace of a wide man. Playing Billy deep was ridiculous, leaving Longstaff as a lone striker which he clearly isn't. I would also have liked to see Harper as a wing back as he is more effective there. Modern coaching is all about tippy happy and playing out from the back so we may have to accept that. But we need a LOT more movement up front and more pace out wide.

We have a striker that can score goals, it's just unfortunate that he spends most of the game having to drop deep into midfield in order to get involved in play.  Mckay must be the most frustrated player on the park, as well as the one covering most ground.

Shaw must be the second most frustrated due to being played in the middle, instead of out wide where he was way more effective earlier in the season.  He's one of if those gangly kind of runners that make him hard to tackle (similar mould to Daisy and Tokely).

I've not seen much of us this season, but last night we looked very slow on the counter.  This was allowing utd to get players back in numbers.

I'm not a fan of hoofball, but you can't expect to get up the park quickly with sideways passing, and someone needs to tell our midfield there's no rule that says they have to stop at the half way line when in possession.

Our players are more capable than they're being allowed to show, and I'm worried Ferguson is 'doing a Dodds' by not playing a system that suits the players we have available.

Subbing on one of the shortest players in our squad just before a set piece with only 3 mins to go was a bit of a strange one.

The denied penalty claim isn't what cost us the draw, conceding a goal did that.  Unfortunate that 'the best keeper in the league' was caught napping.  Regardless of who else is around him, he should be taking that ball with ease every time.

Edited by STFU
  • Agree 3

Listening to off the ball just now and concensus was that if VAR were there it would been a penalty without doubt. 

Michael Stewart also spoke about ICT after the game and said defence looked good, And the midfield although they passed the ball about well there was a complete lack of ideas of how to convert the possession into goal opportunities. 

Shaw was poor and has been this season, Longstaff runs about looking like he doesn't know what he's meant to be doing. Gilmore and Carson were OK and at least add a bit of steel to our midfield.

Only hope we can score a goal next week as our home record is horrendous. 

• Agree 1

What irks me somewhat is why did we sign Sheridan? Does his contract state he must get on the park during the game? He fluffed his header last night when the net should have been bursting.

Longstaff should be an out and out winger. He has quick feet and a few tricks to show but we need to get the best out of him.

Sideways football is painful to watch when you can pick out a better option from your sofa. Really annoys me😡

• Agree 3

Last night was a dilemma. No season ticket for the first time in over 10 years so it was 'should I stay (at home and watch on TV) or should I go (and watch in person)' 

I watched on TV. Now before I get pelters, 

- it's mid January

- money is tight at this time 

- it's cold

- recent matches I have attended have been sooooooooo boring tactically and a yawn to watch

- our CEO remains on post, wearing his Sevco tie

- our Chairman is invisible and silent

So, that's why I sat at home watching it. 

The status quo will remain off field, hopefully on field brightens up soon or more games will be missed by me into the second half of the season. 

Edited by Duke of Inverness
  • Like 1

Looking at our League results this season, goals we have conceded from the 80th minute onwards have cost us 10 points.

We let teams come on to us too much late in games too often and it is showing in our results and league position.

Yes it’s a massive issue for us this season. Three possible causes I can think of -

1. poor tactics towards the end of matches

2. lack of fitness

3. Substitutions weaken the team 

36 minutes ago, Robert said:

Looking at our League results this season, goals we have conceded from the 80th minute onwards have cost us 10 points.

We let teams come on to us too much late in games too often and it is showing in our results and league position.

In addition, we have yet to gain a single point from the 80th minute onwards.  If those stats were reversed, we would be right up in the title mix.  Clearly it is something the coaching staff need to think about.  In one way it seems surprising because we do keep possession reasonably well and that should serve us well when defending a lead (or a draw).  I think there are 2 issues here.  Firstly, our ability to keep the ball and good defensive shape breaks down when opponents take a few more risks and press us harder when they are looking to score late on.  Secondly, when we need to do the pressing, we simply haven't got what it takes in the final third.

43 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

3. Substitutions weaken the team 

This. We have such lack of quality and depth the drop off between first team starters and the bench is possibly the biggest gap I can recall. So little options to change or turn a game.

• Agree 1
  • Well Said 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic