FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Ricky Gervais

Gringo

Is Ricky Gervais really that funny?  

92 members have voted

1. 1.

• Yes
    • No

The late great Bernard Manning was one of the funniest guys on the planet for me.... another comedy natural if ever there was one......  :015: :001: :015:

Roy "Chubby" Brown was never in the same league... Couldn't stand him - much preferred Gordon Brown...  :029:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The late great Bernard Manning was one of the funniest guys on the planet for me.... another comedy natural if ever there was one......  :015: :001: :015:

Roy "Chubby" Brown was never in the same league... Couldn't stand him - much preferred Gordon Brown...  :029:

This appears to add some empirical evidence to back my hypothesis!

This appears to add some empirical evidence to back my hypothesis!

So pleased you think so....

I would be interested to note how you rate entertainer Jonathan Ross...??

Funny or not funny...??

He has his moments but far from Ricky's league in my opinion...

Can't be doing with either Ricky Gervais, don't find him funny at all, and as for Jonathan Woss - whether on TV or radio, the off switch is immediately activated!  (He just loves himself, that one).

Met Billy Connolly once, in Stirling, and he was SO nice, arranged free seats at Eden Court for us - at his concert there just weeks later - was a great night and, for me, he is the real comedian.  A true Glaswegian - just talks about life in general but sees it all and is truly funny.  A top class Scotsman.

Can't be doing with either Ricky Gervais, don't find him funny at all, and as for Jonathan Woss - whether on TV or radio, the off switch is immediately activated!  (He just loves himself, that one).

Met Billy Connolly once, in Stirling, and he was SO nice, arranged free seats at Eden Court for us - at his concert there just weeks later - was a great night and, for me, he is the real comedian.   A true Glaswegian - just talks about life in general but sees it all and is truly funny.   A top class Scotsman.

Cheers Eliza..!!  Totally agree with all of that....  :022:

I find it interesting to note that there are so many comedians/entertainers who are either loved or loathed -  For many of these there is just no in-between....

'tis an interesting subject....

Maybe someday, some gifted person like Hamish will explain to us all why this should be the case.... :024:

Met Billy Connolly once, in Stirling, and he was SO nice, arranged free seats at Eden Court for us - at his concert there just weeks later - was a great night and, for me, he is the real comedian.   A true Glaswegian - just talks about life in general but sees it all and is truly funny.   A top class Scotsman.

Cheers Eliza..!!  Totally agree with all of that....  :022:

I find it interesting to note that there are so many comedians/entertainers who are either loved or loathed -  For many of these there is just no in-between....

'tis an interesting subject....

Maybe someday, some gifted person like Hamish will explain to us all why this should be the case.... :024:

Come on Johnboy, I'm sure you could take a puff of your mind-altering pipe and come up with a theory on this  :001:

Bernard Manning - to quote KB, about as funny as cancer

Chubby Brown - cheap imitation of above, about as funny as arab4ever

Billy Connolly - Fantastically funny on occasion, as Caley D says, a natural comedian, and a great ambassador for Scotland. Not the same kind of humour as Gervais though so I dont think you can really compare them. Peter Kay is more a Connolly type of comedian, also superbly funny!

Jonathon Ross is a presenter, not a comedian, how come his name is in here???

I'm surprised how few folk have got Gervais, thought you were a cultured lot!!!! Oh well  :023:

Bernard Manning - to quote KB, about as funny as cancer

Chubby Brown - cheap imitation of above, about as funny as arab4ever

Billy Connolly - Fantastically funny on occasion, as Caley D says, a natural comedian, and a great ambassador for Scotland. Not the same kind of humour as Gervais though so I dont think you can really compare them. Peter Kay is more a Connolly type of comedian, also superbly funny!

Jonathon Ross is a presenter, not a comedian, how come his name is in here???

I'm surprised how few folk have got Gervais, thought you were a cultured lot!!!! Oh well  :023:

As strange as this may appear, I'm 100% with Mee on this!  :001:

As strange as this may appear, I'm 100% with Mee on this!  :001:

Eh can just see it now ,Mee an Hamish snuggling doon wi a large bag oh Doritos and dips and the whole Office collection (and Runrig playing in the background)

:love11:

Oh aye, care to share?

I no longer know anything about the make-up of RunRig though I did once upon a time in the early eighties when there was still hope for them  :001:

That Calum bloke was a PE teacher with us away back then. And if you were lucky you could catch a sight of Donnie Munro's gorgeous wife in an equally gorgeous swimsuit at a pool near Dalkeith  :010:

Eh can just see it now ,Mee an Hamish snuggling doon wi a large bag oh Doritos and dips and the whole Office collection (and Runrig playing in the background)

:love11:

I would do you the whole Extras collection and runrig playing underwater somewhere out of earshot? I like sour cream dip btw  :001:

Each to their own I suppose.  I did not like the Office and never really sat down to watch it.  Extra's on the other hand was hilarious.  Gervaise was found wanting recently when he had to do an extra few minutes live on stage at Wembley when Elton John did something peculiar/threw a wobbly or something.  Gervaise was shown up to be very unfunny and embarrasingly cringeworthy.

Comedy is going the same way as "pop bands", the true masters of the craft are being crowded out by the manufactured crap that sells big, but has a short shelf life.

I don't often find comedy that travels well from other parts of the globe, but I have to admit to finding the Blue Collar Comedy Tour side-splittingly funny.  If your not familiar with it do a search on YouTube or try and get your hands on the DVD.

Comedy is going the same way as "pop bands", the true masters of the craft are being crowded out by the manufactured crap that sells big, but has a short shelf life.

Not sure what you're getting at in relation to the names mentioned previously...

Have tried and tried and tried again to watch his material and I just don't find him funny at all. Even when the guy has been on numerous chat shows he has failed to make me even think about smiling!

I would rather stick my willy in a nettle bush than watch any of his poo material again.

:020:

• 2 weeks later...

Don't find him funny but everyone has different tastes. Saw Sadowitz for the 6th time at this year's fringe and he improves with age. I also like Jimmy Carr, Ken Dodd and Peter Kay.

I quite like Edam cheese, banjo music and long walks on the beach...  :014: