FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Don Cowies take on the Gretna game

Alex MacLeod

Courtesy of P&J online

Don Cowie believes Caley Thistle are finally showing signs of a team that can survive in the SPL again - because Inverness have started winning when they do not play well.

The Highlanders were easy 4-0 victors against Gretna at Fir Park on Saturday but only gave occasional glimpses of what they can do.

After excelling in their recent successes against Hearts and Falkirk, Inverness did not match them at Motherwell.

Caley Jags have now won four times and drawn once in their last six outings. Beating Gretna has left Craig Brewster's side six points clear of the league's bottom side and Cowie feels he and his team-mates can increase that gap.

He said: "We don't feel we played that well against Gretna compared to how we have performed recently. We set a standard with a couple of good games and that is how we want to keep playing.

"We didn't quite reach it at the weekend but when you win 4-0 away from home, you can't really complain.

"I think it is a good sign. We were playing well and coming away with nothing earlier in the season whereas we are getting some good results now, even when we don't do as well as we would like. We are confident of staying up."

Courtesy of P&J online

Don Cowie believes Caley Thistle are finally showing signs of a team that can survive in the SPL again -

We are confident of staying up."

Staying up..?

The aim each season should be at least a top six spot... :022:

Courtesy of P&J online

Don Cowie believes Caley Thistle are finally showing signs of a team that can survive in the SPL again -

We are confident of staying up."

Staying up..?

The aim each season should be at least a top six spot... :022:

I am glad that Mr. Brewster is upbeat and forward looking. This season's side has nowhere near reached its full potential yet. CBs managership is on the up, he is much better than last time.

There are many shocks ahead for the folks that underrated us on our slow start. This will be our first top-6 season.

Yip - this year there is less of a gap between at least 6 teams and whichever team puts in a good run could be crucial. We do have the personnel to make the top six - IMHO it is all about getting a settled side, a settled system and more of a goal scoring potential up front.

Fair assessment given by Cowie, although I have to say that our back line looked far more confident on Saturday.  Hard to tell if that was a result of poor opposition or an improvement on the part of the team, but the signs were good.  As I said in the Match Report, I don't think we let Gretna within 25/30 yards of our goal in the final 10/15 minutes of the game.  We also did a pretty good job of neutralising Yantorno who seemed like the only one capable of giving us any problems the entire 90 minutes.