FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

NewScotland Manager

Guzz

Burley will do for me. seemed to be doing well enough at Hearts and he has two things going for him straight away ... He is neither Tommy Burns or Graeme Souness

• 1 year later...
Guest Mahonio

I wish Burns or Souness had got the job.

Slight problem with you wanting Burns, he is dead.

Edited by Mahonio

I wish Burns or Souness had got the job.

Slight problem with you wanting Burns, he is dead.

Tommy can communicate from beyond the grave.... I believe he picked the side that played against Iceland.

It was definitely his decision to drop Ferguson and McGreggor.

You can be the most imobile player ever but if you get 26 goals a season then it doesn't matter,footballs about goals. plus burley has only won 2 matches in eight or so games. A team like Northern Ireland we should have had them dead and buried. And norway aren't exactaly the best team in europe either. And Burley isn't picking a great squad.

Edited by dam17

well i said the same thing then but now i wish some one else got the job

Why? he's not actually doing that bad considering the crap he has to work with.

Its him thats picking the squad

You can be the most imobile player ever but if you get 26 goals a season then it doesn't matter,footballs about goals. plus burley has only won 2 matches in eight or so games. A team like Northern Ireland we should have had them dead and buried. And norway aren't exactaly the best team in europe either. And Burley isn't picking a great squad.

26 goals in Scotland really only equates to 13 goals in real life (European football). If you then take into account that there is such inequality in the SPL, in terms of players available to Rangers (& Celtic), then goals scored alone, is no way to judge a player when trying to pick your international squad. George Burley is more than aware of this, as is Walter Smith. This is why Miller gets picked because if he was judged on goals alone, he wouldn't play. If Boyd was good, he would get picked. It's not in a managers own interest to leave thier top goalscorer out of the side for no reason. That's as simplistic as picking a goal keeper based on goals conceded. Norway have players with far more experience of European football than we have. Why are they regarded as a poor team? They must look at us and feel they dropped two points, not the other way round!! Riise is better than any player we have, as is Carew and Braaten and if James Mcfadden is a national hero in Scotland, what would it be like if Pederson was Scottish? He would be first minister!!!

Burley has an impressive record with Ipswich and Hearts, even if his time with the latter was cut comically short. The results in the friendlys don't matter, thats why less people go to watch them. Macedonia was poor but, again, have Scotland had a player as good as Goran Pandev to call up in recent times? Why is Macedonia away judged to be an easy 3 points? Gordon's kicking let us down in that game (constantly kicking possesion back to the opposition), so thats Burley's fault!? When we lost to Georgia away because the players were allowed to go out and play under the belief that the game was already won, no one blamed Mcleish.

Have you looked at N.Ireland recent results over the last three qualifying competitions? They ain't that bad.

I believe that Burley is the right man. I also beleive that no manager, no matter what his record, or without consideration for the problems his squad (or the fringes of his squad) are causing, will ever get full backing. Even if it was Fergie.

I was at the Norway game and i felt sorry for Iwelumo as he was our best player on the park when he came on and won every header against a massive backline and was much more effective than Kris Boyd ever will be.

Also who do Rangers fans think they are with their chants about the Tartan Army why don't they just support the national team and stop being petulant 5 year olds!!!!!