FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worst atmosphere in world football?

GATEPOST

I wrote the title of this thread with my tounge slightly in cheek but then realised it could infact be true.

The atmosphere at TCS is totaly shocking and im sick of it. Infact its just totaly non-existant. Can anyone tell me a club of our size anywhere in the world with a worse home support?

The thing that bugs me is there is no reason why it should be so bad. Why dont people join in with the singing when it does start to break out? I have been to gigs and festivals in and around inverness (rockness for example) and the atmospehere is really good so why does this not transfer to our football team?

Its about time the club tried to do something to address this, what i dont know, but some thing has to be done. Im sick of whenever i mention to anyone down here (Edinburgh) im a ICT fan having to try and defend our crap support. Has anyone got any ideas?

Hope this doesnt offend anyone on here, and as i now stay in Edinburgh and dont get to many home matches now it may seem a little rich coming from me, but it has always bugged me and nothing seems to get done and it certainly aint getting any better.

Any opinions?

PS. Anyone think the lack of atmosphere hinders the club when we are trying to attract players?

Cant think many players lie awake dreaming of joining a club where they could score a wonder goal only to hear polite clapping and see the stewards telling the few folk actually celebrating behind the goal to sit down.

For that matter cant really be much motovation for our current players  :024:

how can we make an atmosphere???

everytime we do anything the stewards come up and threaten to throw us out,when wwe do get a few songs on the go,people around us complain?

we lose either way

caley need 2 make section g a place to go ONLY  if you want to sing etc.......

Guest Highlandnewbie

Kilmarnock definitely have a worse home support than your lot. There's no singing whatsoever, and the attendance is a joke when you think about the size of our catchment area. Of course this is due to the glory hunters going to support the infirm but it totally ruins the game when you don't get the banter between the two sets of fans. Away days are always much better as it is the diehard fans that go and so you get singing all the way on the bus.

my solution is, as someone has previously mentioned, get a specific singing section or get someone in with a really loud drum to get the supporters going. Not only will that increase spectator satisfaction it will remind the players that there are people who genuinely care about what they are doing and want to get behind them 100%.

there must be worse ideas than that! :001:

Yesterday's quiet crowd had a lot to do with the fact it was the second last game of the season, there was nothing really to play for and the players had summer hols in their minds, despite this and the traing session atmosphere the team played very well, scored 6 very good goals, all from different players, i for one went away quite content.

However, if you had attended the 3-4 Aberdeen game you would have witnessed a totally different TCS, there was a lot of noise from the Bridge end and main stand crowds, so when the game has meaning and we are playing well, the crowd like the players rise to the occasion.

Inverness crowd is too reserved as a whole to be seen to cause a scene. Even the singing that does go on reminds me of when you watch Schoolboy internatioanl or womens football. Seems to be the case here....when you reach the age of about 20.....you no longer sing

Atmosphere at many grounds has been spoilt by the all seater stadia because those that want to sing can not be together. Even Sir Alex Ferguson has complained about the lack of noise at Old Trafford on occasions and they have 75000.

Gatepost...i also live in Edinburgh and i dont get much hassle from Hibs fans but Hearts fans are something else..."diddy team" " no history" etc etc...but i guarantee you that their home support is shocking....They really do only sing when their winning. Classic exampe was the 3-2 win against Hearts some months ago...they only made a noise when they levelled at 2-2 and once their dodgy keeper got the heave ho...SILENCIO

The atmosphere yesterday was a bit dire, but compare that to the Aberdeen game and its a different league.

I dont remember Caledonian being much of a family club and the atmoshpere at Telford St was great...but ICT is very much a family club, so i guess there are some inhibitions among our supporters...it will take time

Peace

Chris

Guest birdog

Yesterday's quiet crowd had a lot to do with the fact it was the second last game of the season, there was nothing really to play for and the players had summer hols in their minds, despite this and the traing session atmosphere the team played very well, scored 6 very good goals, all from different players, i for one went away quite content.

Good post :clapping03: sums up how I felt about the match pretty well. A real good performance from the team but it's kind of hard to get excited about thumping a team of U19 and reserve players, played more like a friendly than an SPL match in fact it reminded me a lot of a pre-season match against Brora Rangers a few years ago when we won 8-0 or 8-1, boys against men.

Guest birdog

For really sh!te atmosphere go to McDairmid

OT I know but I hear, from my mother a Saints fan, that SJFC are moving stadium again. Another supermarket has bought McDiarmid and Saints are to move a couple of miles out the road towards Methvin.

Well I got a chance to go to Anfield yesterday and it was no better than TCS  :015:

A couple of thousand Man City fans sang through the whole match and the famous Kop just sat and watched them.

A roar when Torres scored after 57 mins, and a wee song about Rafa 5 mins from the end, and that was about that.

Good chant from the City fans, after the home fans chanted Benitez' name: 'fat Spanish waiter, he's just a fat Spanish waiter'  :015:

Ipr*x and Ceptic Park are both dull places as well.  For 50,000-60,000 people to so silent is shocking.  I really think it is more comman than you think.  Away matches always supply better days for singing etc as most fans have travelled and had a few beers and dont care who is watching and get into it.

if the club really did let section G be a singing section and even let people know when getting a season ticket that there will be singing and possible bad language in that area they may move to the next section or stay in G and join in.

for my example, I have to revert to Toronto FC (again)

Sections 112 - 117 of the south stand have been designated as the "supporters section" and people purchasing tickets there are told that they are liable to be in the middle of a section where singing, chanting and standing are expected, where flags and banners will be waved and where there will generally be a lot of noise. They are advised that if they want a 'quieter' experience where they can sit comfortably in their seats and not have their views obstructed temporarily by flags etc then they should consider other parts of the ground !!!

The club have pretty stringent rules on what is and is not allowed in the whole stadium, but have relaxed them slightly in the supporters end (after discussions with the half dozen or so major supporters groups). This works really well and the south end of BMO field is a place that a lot of teams in MLS now comment on and the atmosphere generated is generally a bigger story than a certain Mr Beckham !!!

Obviously you do get those who overstep the mark or try to push various buttons to get a reaction (just like on here :004:) but for the most part it is very enjoyable and because there is dialogue between club and fans the adherence to policy and 'self-policing' of those who dont is pretty good.

I was actually shocked at how flat the atmosphere was for the recent ICT V Killie game .... perhaps it is because I have had a season of mayhem at BMO and dont remember how quiet it was, but it certainly seemed a **** of a lot more subdued than I remember it.

Well I got a chance to go to Anfield yesterday and it was no better than TCS  :015:

A couple of thousand Man City fans sang through the whole match and the famous Kop just sat and watched them.

A roar when Torres scored after 57 mins, and a wee song about Rafa 5 mins from the end, and that was about that.

Good chant from the City fans, after the home fans chanted Benitez' name: 'fat Spanish waiter, he's just a fat Spanish waiter'  :015:

Im a semi-regular Kopite (about 5-10 games a season, 7 this season...) and barring European nights or United/Everton games the atmosphere is generally flat. We are often outsung by opposing fans, but on European nights it is incredible.

Great support from the City fans yesterday, you could hear them loud and clear. But this is nothing new for Anfield. Except as I say, and Im aware Im relying on this too much, on European nights, where the atmosphere really cant be beaten anywhere.

Right, im going to be controversial, but it is something I have felt for a long time.

The working class man makes the noise at football, simple as, and such are the ridiculous prices at our stadium, bar a few, they have no interst in turning up.

Guest birdog

Right, im going to be controversial, but it is something I have felt for a long time.

The working class man makes the noise at football, simple as, and such are the ridiculous prices at our stadium, bar a few, they have no interst in turning up.

The working class man does not have enough disposable income to pay for an SPL team to survive meaning that SPL teams have to try to appeal to a middle class audience, in trying to attract these people to matches the SPL team has to subdue the working class man (or traditional supporter if you prefer) therefore creating a class divide between the supporters. One set of fans preferring to get tipsy before the match and enjoying a sing along the other preferring the rustling of sweety wrappers and peace and quite to sit for nearly two hours. The players and animated fans prefer noise but the guys with more disposable income get priority. You just gotta love capitalism.

Al tell you something else....that no one has touched on. There is still a divide within the ICT fanbase. You can be assured that there are those who attend who still feel offended if there is a shout of c'mon Caley and vice versa and will take nothing to do with chants referring to their past rivals. whilst this divide exists, you will not get a whole harted backing from the fans

You know it could be. I was on the phone at the Gretna game and I told the person on the other end I couldn't talk as I was at the football, and she didnt believe me  :015:  "Shouldn't it be noisy?" she says.

Quite right too :024:

Guest birdog

Al tell you something else....that no one has touched on. There is still a divide within the ICT fanbase. You can be assured that there are those who attend who still feel offended if there is a shout of c'mon Caley and vice versa and will take nothing to do with chants referring to their past rivals. whilst this divide exists, you will not get a whole harted backing from the fans

I think that the old rivalry enhances the atmosphere. As an old Caley fan I feel that the rivalry keeps our heritage alive and lets the identity of both clubs survive. For one occasion I had to chastise my son for telling another fan that "it's not thistle, it's Caley" sending him mixed signals but Caley will never die and nor should thistle. 

Pride, one of the christian's mortal sins, but for me an indispensable part of our club.

Or possibly the working class man has decided to dispose of his income in other ways... such as Sky TV which is becoming an increasingly popular way of watching football. I often sit in the stand at Grant Street and observe what must be among the highest densities of Sky dishes in Western Europe... 11 crammed into the short distance between penalty boxes along the back of the houses in Kilmuir Road! As it happens I'm just back from a wee tour around my old stamping ground in Dalneigh and the first thing that hit me in St. Valery Avenue in particular was again the sat dishes of which there are dozens. I could also guess that many of these are hooked up to large screen plasma TVs. etc. I think it's perhaps more a case of how the so called "working class man" chooses to dispose of his income which in relative terms has increased greatly over the last 30 or 40 years.

Since I don't actually have to pay to get into football matches (even though it's because I'm working) I won't develop my other point which, as diplomatically as I can put it, would have been that, even though admission prices are frequently branded as "ridiculous", they still raise only a fraction of the cost of entertaining the people who have to pay them and the rest is heavily subsidised.