FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Worst atmosphere in world football?

GATEPOST

Guest TinCanFan

for my example, I have to revert to Toronto FC (again)

Sections 112 - 117 of the south stand have been designated as the "supporters section" and people purchasing tickets there are told that they are liable to be in the middle of a section where singing, chanting and standing are expected, where flags and banners will be waved and where there will generally be a lot of noise. They are advised that if they want a 'quieter' experience where they can sit comfortably in their seats and not have their views obstructed temporarily by flags etc then they should consider other parts of the ground !!!

The club have pretty stringent rules on what is and is not allowed in the whole stadium, but have relaxed them slightly in the supporters end (after discussions with the half dozen or so major supporters groups). This works really well and the south end of BMO field is a place that a lot of teams in MLS now comment on and the atmosphere generated is generally a bigger story than a certain Mr Beckham !!!

Obviously you do get those who overstep the mark or try to push various buttons to get a reaction (just like on here :004:) but for the most part it is very enjoyable and because there is dialogue between club and fans the adherence to policy and 'self-policing' of those who dont is pretty good.

I was actually shocked at how flat the atmosphere was for the recent ICT V Killie game .... perhaps it is because I have had a season of mayhem at BMO and dont remember how quiet it was, but it certainly seemed a **** of a lot more subdued than I remember it.

I've watched a few highlights of TFC on youtube and have to say that the atmosphere and fan support, both through noise and flags is very impressive.  I know you said on here recently about certain initiatives done by TFC to try and get more noise from the stands, such as encouraging it etc, but would the things TFC use, work at ICT, or is it a completely different kettle of fish?

Small point, is the admission cost that high? I've three kids that come along with me. Now granted I feel it's expensive to get in,

but so is the cost of the swimming pool, pictures etc, and don't get me started on booking a holiday abroad for 5 people and try booking 5 persons into a Travel Inn.

We are paying to see the best teams and players in the country. I for  one never thought that 14 years ago, one day I would watch ICT play SPL football, next year we will play and possibly beat  a team that have won the UEFA Cup. (or Runners up).

Next season may be our last in the SPL. I hope not but there will be no Gretna, and Hamilton are no mugs.

Sell the family silver, walk and save petrol, cut you own hair, shop at Lidl( like me), no takeaways, no carryouts,go camping to Nairn, swim in the Ness, recycle anniversary cards, be a poll tax protester, get your wife a second job, no playstations, no wiis, take in a lodger.  SAVE YOUR MONEY get a season ticket then for 2 hours an a Saturday experience "the best of times the worst of times"  football in Inverness.  It's only Money get it spent!!!!! Football in Inverness on a Saturday you canna beat it and you know it. :004:

No one under the age of 25years should complain about admission prices. Believe me you will never be as well off in your life as you are at the moment.  :tic01:

I've watched a few highlights of TFC on youtube and have to say that the atmosphere and fan support, both through noise and flags is very impressive.  I know you said on here recently about certain initiatives done by TFC to try and get more noise from the stands, such as encouraging it etc, but would the things TFC use, work at ICT, or is it a completely different kettle of fish?

some things might - like relaxing rules on standing, allowing flags or banners in designated areas (real areas not tiny little segregated ones) not sure that others would though as much of TFC's atmosphere comes from the fact that there are 20,000 in the stadium and small chants started by about 50 people spread

Al tell you something else....that no one has touched on. There is still a divide within the ICT fanbase. You can be assured that there are those who attend who still feel offended if there is a shout of c'mon Caley and vice versa and will take nothing to do with chants referring to their past rivals. whilst this divide exists, you will not get a whole harted backing from the fans

There might be a little of that but as someone who sat in a group of 4 that contained two ex-Caley fans and two ex-Thistle fans I must say that this never stopped all four of us from singing/chanting/clapping

Inverness crowd is too reserved as a whole to be seen to cause a scene.

I think that's the main reason for the lack of atmosphere. Someone else mentioned that "the atmosphere at Telford St was great", and for a midweek title decider or a Scottish Cup game it was, but for a run-of-the-mill Saturday game against the likes of Buckie, Keith, Rothes etc. you could go the entire 90 minutes without hearing a chant of any description.

It takes an especially meaningful game situation for us Highlanders to break the mould and start singing, and as far as I remember it's always been that way.

As the saying goes......You can lead a horse to water, blah blah blah.

Poor atmosphere at the football is not unique to us and it's becoming pretty much the norm throughout the UK as they continue to hinder people's enjoyment with the constant introduction of rules and regulations.  It's getting to the stage where a person is scared to fart for fear of breaching some new rule and finding themselves being huckled off by some over zealous steward.

Going to the football used to be the one time during the week where otherwise reserved folk could have a couple of beers before the game, let go a little and not have to worry about being judged by those around them for shouting the odd sweary word.  Stewards and Police back then needed a good reason to eject people, nowadays they can use any reason at all...and use it they do.  The worst you ever had to worry about for getting a little excited at a game a few years back was ejection...nowadays ejection can easily result in a caution, criminal record and a ban.

The people running the game in this country, those who make the decisions and those in charge at the clubs are happy enough to have it this way as they see it as making life easy for them.  Until the mindset changes then things will just continue to get more and more sterilised and the atmosphere will get flatter and flatter.

Al tell you something else....that no one has touched on. There is still a divide within the ICT fanbase. You can be assured that there are those who attend who still feel offended if there is a shout of c'mon Caley and vice versa and will take nothing to do with chants referring to their past rivals. whilst this divide exists, you will not get a whole harted backing from the fans

Thats garbage - Middle class Jeggie bestards never sung anyway. But seriously - the atmosphere died with the terraces.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest TinCanFan

I reckon it's to do with the lack of red seats, and this aint a Jags bias thing.  It's now proven that red seats make the fans more lively and some team in Switzerland built a ground with mainly blue seats to stop rioters, as blue is an unconciously calming colour.

• 11 months later...
Guest Harrier

I wrote the title of this thread with my tounge slightly in cheek but then realised it could infact be true.

The atmosphere at TCS is totaly shocking and im sick of it. Infact its just totaly non-existant. Can anyone tell me a club of our size anywhere in the world with a worse home support?

The thing that bugs me is there is no reason why it should be so bad. Why dont people join in with the singing when it does start to break out? I have been to gigs and festivals in and around inverness (rockness for example) and the atmospehere is really good so why does this not transfer to our football team?

Its about time the club tried to do something to address this, what i dont know, but some thing has to be done. Im sick of whenever i mention to anyone down here (Edinburgh) im a ICT fan having to try and defend our crap support. Has anyone got any ideas?

Hope this doesnt offend anyone on here, and as i now stay in Edinburgh and dont get to many home matches now it may seem a little rich coming from me, but it has always bugged me and nothing seems to get done and it certainly aint getting any better.

Any opinions?

Hello Gatepost,

This is my first post on the forum. That is a very valid point you have brought up. You do live in Edinburgh so it is a little rich coming from you. :rotflmao:

Edited by Harrier

how can we make an atmosphere???

everytime we do anything the stewards come up and threaten to throw us out,when wwe do get a few songs on the go,people around us complain?

we lose either way

caley need 2 make section g a place to go ONLY if you want to sing etc.......

well said!