FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Highland March Progress

CaleyD

The troops are about half way through tonights leg and going strong despite the thunder, lightning and torrential rain!!! Great send off from everyone at the Game and only 135 miles till they're home...lol

I left them this morning at the foot of the Ochils with an 1800 foot ascent ahead of them. After finishing 45 minutes ahead of schedule last night they are aiming to finish in time for the footie at 3pm today!!!

Flip me, they're flying. At this rate they'll be in Inverness by Thursday. Well done troops.  :clapping03: :clapping03: :sillywave:

Top work Troops!  :021: :clapping03: :021:

Just heard Border Control has finally caught Gringo attempting to leave Birmingham.

(They had to move the Blocks further South, he kept getting past em?!).

You?ll probably reach Inverness before he does!  :015:

Mrs PB

x

Another 22 miles chalked off yesterday, which is incredible when you add in about 4000ft of ascent and descent. Gringo Jr taught an important lesson on why u shouldn't jog in middle of road with headphones - managed to get bus to within a foot and blasted the horn...who knew a highland marcher could jump so high...lol.  Anyway, another early start with troops on the road by 8.15. Wonder if we'll go swimming again tonight...lol

Looking forward to buying you all a drink in the Innes next week guys and girls

If i walk down from the town to the Innes will you buy me a drink?

Well done so far marchers,  though weary legs & blisters will soon appear!

IHE joined the troops last night and is out on the road with them this morning and keeping spirits high. A welcome addition at the point in the week when tiredness can start to take it's toll on the sense of humour. He's walking in the kilt, which will do no harm to vaseline sales, and a fresh application on the downhill sections has him gliding along like a cross country skier...lol. Blister count among the troops is suprisingly low, and other than fatigued legs, everyone is in good shape.

Guys will be at Tomatin lunch time today, finishing Daviot this afternoon. Leaving Daviot in the morning about 10am and heading for Dows, then from there they head through the town to the Innes and on to the game.

For those wishing to join the troops at Daviot the set off point can be found by going through Daviot, turn left when you reach the quarry and continue on that road till you see the green 'public footpath to Inverness' sign or indeed the rabble getting ready. Revised leaving time is 10.30

Would just like to say a very well done to everyone who took part in this years Highland March.

Everyone who started on the Saturday after the Falkirk game made it the full distance (about 149 Miles).

Also a big  :022: to IHE who joined them for the last 3 days.  It was probably a bitter-sweet experience for him given the state his feet were in by the end, and I don't know many people who would have had the strength to dig as deep as he did to make the last leg down from Tomatin to Inverness.....must have been something in the water eh Dad  :004:

Was delighted that Mr & Mrs Gringo were able to join us for the last couple of days.  Not only do they make a great curry, but I see them as "Mum and Dad" to the troops during the week and it wouldn't be the same without them.

Another it wouldn't be the same without is Yompa (aka Interthenet).  He'll probably slap me for telling you all, but he's 56....and he still continues to kick the butts of all the younger participants.  Not content with the 149 miles, he also added in a couple of mountains for an extra challenge  :029:

Gringo Jnr, the youngest Veteran of the HM was his usual solid and consistent self.  Chumba (aka Beatonio), the marathon man of the HM who spends more time running than walking....which is just as well given his habit of getting lost.  And not to forget the 3 new recruits.....Slater, Dunco and Lady Madonna who performed feckin brilliantly considering it was their first time out.

Honourable mention for TM4TJ who appeared at Daviot to take a stroll in with the troops.  Was good to see you and hope we can convince you to extend your participation next year  :001:

Also a big thanks to Falkirk FC and to those at ICT who welcomed the troops at each end and arranged the laps of honour.  Being asked to clap the players on to the pitch at the start of the game on Saturday was something special.

And for Barry Wilson, we weren't joking when we said that since you only had a 6 month deal we were expecting you to take part in the HM next year  :015:

Last, but by no means least, a huge thnaks to everyone who donated/sponsored towards the HM.  The focus of the week may be on a group of slightly eccentric ICT fans walking stupid distances, but the fact they are able to do some good off the back of it means just as much.

We've still got a load of items to auction off on Ebay, and as soon as I get sorted I'll get them all listed and let you know.

(Hopefully I haven't missed anyone)

Have to agree with everything said above 'Dogs', although I add my gratitude to the following people...

Footballers Wife and her virgins for the hard work they put in to help with the Virgin Vie fundraiser. The girls that turned up on the night enjoyed themselves, and the money raised has certainly helped the cause. We may look into another event of this nature in the near future! Also to Lisa of Virgin Vie for arranging the Foot Fizz. Although we were unabe to collect, your help was much appreciated.

The girls from Kaper Hair and Beauty (High Street - nr Woolworths) for the part they played in the CaleyD Body Wax. Rumour has it myself and Yompa are up for nomination next year - more details as an when. :029:

To all those who offered their hospitality along the way, including Lady Fraser and those who walked with us from Dows. It makes it all the more special when people join us through the town to get the banta going.

I also extend my thanks to those who donated and sponsored. We estimate that we have exceeded the target set, yet the final total for fund raised is yet to be calculated once all funds have come in.

To Focus Rentals for the use of a support bus and Finally to CaleyD ("Dogs") for his priceless assistance in the preparation stages, along the route and for keeping tabs on the kitty. You excell yourself year on year and its great to have you as part of the HM team. :clapping03: :clapping03: :clapping03: