FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Next Inverness Caley Manager

Guest Mahonio

Kevin MacDonald.

But apparantly after meeting him in the English reserve play-off match between Liverpool & Aston Villa, Rafa Benitez wants him to replace Alex Miller as coach at LFC, because Millers gone to manage a Japanese team.

But I think he's got a great CV, he's been in coaching a while, but never made the step up to management. We could change that...

i heard sammy lee was getting that job? maybe i heard wrong though

No that was a rumour going round as well, but apparantly Sammy wants to stay in management and is looking for a lower division club. He has said he is "tempted" by the offer though.

Anyway, sorry mods, off-topic I know...

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Pressley.  Think he would come.  He's got to start somewhere and is looking for a player/manager/coach job.  By all accounts, he's got a good future.  I'd rather have someone with new ideas and a steady guiding hand alongside him, than the usual names who have never really done much but been around a long time.

We could have Paterson/Robbo "over" him as Director of Football or some such rubbish to avoid any inferiority complex, though I'd imagine Paterson would take a lower step for a return to being a F-T pro.  What are his options?  P-T with the Highland League?

Re: Kevin McDonald.  I'd expect someone with his credentials may be looking for a bigger club.  Still, worth a try.

Kevin MacDonald - no chance. He is currently doing his UEFA PRO license which is a pre-requisite for managing in the English Premiership (or will be come 2010). This guy is thinking ahead and I very much doubt that Inverness is anywhere in his plans.

Steven Pressley - what makes anyone think a) he would come here and b) he would do a better job. He has no track record.

Robertson / Paterson - sorry. no.

I'd rather have someone with new ideas and a steady guiding hand alongside him, than the usual names who have never really done much but been around a long time.

Doesnt Brewster fall into that category ? He may have been around a long time on the park but despite 3 roles as manager (ICT,DUFC,ICT) he can hardly be described as having been around a long time in a management sense. I will grant you that its yet to be seen whether he actually has any "new ideas" though !!!

If you want to be pedantic, there was no such team as Inverness Caley either !!!! it was Caledonian FC

However, lets get back on topic by assuming the original poster meant Inverness Caledonian Thistle, Caley Thistle, Caley Jags, Inverness CT, I.C.T., Caley, Jags, or whatever 'common name' you like to call the team.

To be even more of a pedant, there was indeed a team called Inverness Caledonian until they decided to drop the geographical prefix after taking the huff with the local authority who the believed wre trying to frustrate their attempts to relocate from Telford Street to the Carse.

To be even more of a pedant, there was indeed a team called Inverness Caledonian until they decided to drop the geographical prefix after taking the huff with the local authority who the believed wre trying to frustrate their attempts to relocate from Telford Street to the Carse.

:012: :012: :012: :012: :sillywave: :sillywave: :sillywave:

Guest Mahonio

:018: :018: :018: Lets be serious about next potential managers now, no more fantasy possibilities!!

Sir Alex, DO YOU REALLY THINK HE WILL COME HERE!!!!! :018: :018: :018:

Steven Pressley - what makes anyone think a) he would come here and b) he would do a better job. He has no track record.

a) He's heading towards the end of his career and has publicly stated he wants to go into coaching and management this summer

b) He's already in the Scotland set up and I like George Burley as a manager.  From what I read, he also held Hearts together during a difficult time.  Needless to say, he has the leadership quality on the park (which would be useful as it is) and could possibly provide that off the park.

Roy Keane had no track record but he took Sunderland from the bottom of the Championship to the Premiership.  Keegan also with his first stint at Newcastle.  Paul Ince at MK Dons.  Everyone has to start somewhere.  All those were leaders on the park.  Sure, it may not work but I prefer to take a chance with a new prospect that may just provide that inspiration (with a guiding hand alongside), rather than the usual Jim Duffy/Bobby Williamson etc. that are always trooped out.

I'd rather have someone with new ideas and a steady guiding hand alongside him, than the usual names who have never really done much but been around a long time.

Doesnt Brewster fall into that category ? He may have been around a long time on the park but despite 3 roles as manager (ICT,DUFC,ICT) he can hardly be described as having been around a long time in a management sense. I will grant you that its yet to be seen whether he actually has any "new ideas" though !!!

Inspired choice first time around. But we now know what he can or can't do...and he abandoned us at the first opportunity, then failed.  Someone else mentioned Ally McCoist (no doubt with Archie Knox maybe alongside?).  He wasn't interested but that inspiration is what I'd like to see ICT go for.

Whoever our next manager should be, if he's any good he'll soon get snapped up by a bigger team.

If he's pish we'll be able to hang onto him longer.

Somewhere in between there might be a manager who can keep us in the lower quarter of the spl indefinitely - not good enough to attract the attention of a bigger team but good enough to keep us in the spl.

Sounds familiar?

But I really wish Charlie Christie had made the grade - couldn't see him ever leaving for a bigger team.

a manager who can keep us in the lower quarter of the spl indefinitely -

As a point of interest we have never finished in the lower (or should that be lowest) quarter of the SPL.

What about a Wilson Sen/Wilson Jun partnership?

I fear that this is one prediction that IHE may have correct.

A prediction I have made many times before, and indeed a prediction that I made when he rejoined the club!

;)

Guest Mahonio

I forgot to mention Ian McCall on my choice of next manager because when Charlie Christie left he was my outstanding choice to replace him and someone also said to me that Gordon Chisholm could do job too but i am not too sure about him.

Incidentely, It was a Aberdeen fan that told me Chisholm could be a possibility.

not sure about McCall ..... he did a decent job at Falkirk but couldnt hack it at Tannadice.

a) He's heading towards the end of his career and has publicly stated he wants to go into coaching and management this summer

b) He's already in the Scotland set up and I like George Burley as a manager.  From what I read, he also held Hearts together during a difficult time.  Needless to say, he has the leadership quality on the park (which would be useful as it is) and could possibly provide that off the park.

fair response.

Kevin MacDonald.

But apparantly after meeting him in the English reserve play-off match between Liverpool & Aston Villa, Rafa Benitez wants him to replace Alex Miller as coach at LFC, because Millers gone to manage a Japanese team.

But I think he's got a great CV, he's been in coaching a while, but never made the step up to management. We could change that...

i heard sammy lee was getting that job? maybe i heard wrong though

No that was a rumour going round as well, but apparantly Sammy wants to stay in management and is looking for a lower division club. He has said he is "tempted" by the offer though.

Anyway, sorry mods, off-topic I know...

cough cough, Sammy Lee to liverpool

I forgot to mention Ian McCall on my choice of next manager because when Charlie Christie left he was my outstanding choice to replace him and someone also said to me that Gordon Chisholm could do job too but i am not too sure about him.

Incidentely, It was a Aberdeen fan that told me Chisholm could be a possibility.

no thanks, not a big fan, his record at QOTS is played - 62, won - 18, drawn - 19, lost - 25. not good enough IMO

Although I don't always agree with how he goes about his business, I am well aware that he is better qualified to manage a football team than I am. And indeed better qualified than everyone else who posts on this forum.

See, I never really understand this argument. I agree that having played at a high level will initially instil more respect for a coach in a player, but more and more these days we're talking about sports science, man management and strategy. Having been a good striker, or even having coaching badges, does not necessarily make Brewster better in any discipline than anyone who posts on (or just reads) this forum. Do I need to be in possession of a Champions League medal to see that Roy at inside right doesn't work, or that Ross can't get back quickly and needs someone better at passing than Russell  to back-fill, or that nobody properly defends the back post at set pieces, or that gym work is a good thing for professional athletes, or that Barry and pies don't mix?

The trouble is that coaching and management get mixed in together when they're really quite distinct. Many people who've spent a decade or five watching football matches have a sense of what works and what doesn't and can apply that knowledge to a given set of players (which is probably why football management computer games sell as well as they do). When asked to coach a centre half to deal with a fast cross at waist height six yards out in front of goal with no call from the keeper, most of those people would bow out gracefully in favour of a professional coach.

What baffles me is when the manager can't see what's clearly going wrong on the pitch - as I said in another post, I think Brew needs to get off the touchline and up into the stand so he can get a proper overview of the battle. You don't play chess with your chin on the table...

Good post 4Size. Interesting to see if it has an effect.

Managing will always be a learning experience and those who have supported Manchester United for decades probably forget life near the bottom of Division 1 and the clamour to sack the rookie Ferguson. 10 titles is that?

I have doubts about Brew and like many supporters express a view to encourage change and development. If he responds we change our attitudes. In the time we have been ICT Brew is really the only Manager who has had a continuous stream of critics calling for his head. He's kind of like the unfaithful husband who has been partly forgiven but everytime he steps out of line with a poor performance we think his mind is on other things and he gets it in the neck again.

You get the impression he, like many of us, is pinning his hopes on a fresh start at the beginning of next season.  Regardless of the cards he is dealt with personnel changes during the next two months he has to make a reasonable start. The first point is the hardest to get.

With regard to our season, it has been a little disappointing but I recall the Skovdahl years at Aberdeen when the Dons were regularly below 9th or 10th in the League. Dundee United had to win at ICT a few years back on the last day because of the threat of relegation.