FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Novo for Scotland?

Council Juice

24 members have voted

1. 1. Should Nacho Novo be considered by Scotland boss Burley?

• Never
    • Aye
    • If he feels he adds to the team perhaps
    • We call up Englishmen so why not
    • Undecided

I cant decide. On one hand I only want Scots to play for Scotland.

On the other,a ) the guy has played here for 8 years, pays taxes and has Scotttish born children b ) would add undoubted quality upfront c ) shows as much passion for his Club side as more than half the Scots do playing for their country at times!

I look at the likes of James Morrison, Matt Elliot, Neil Sullivan and Don Hutchison to name a few Englishmen (the auld enemy) to have worn the Scotland shirt and while they may have had Scottish links would all probably have welcomed an English call up over Scotland and there was a few echos of disgruntlement but look at Don Hutchison, he scored against England.

I then look at Germany, Poland and Croatia. Germany have Podolski, Borowskwi and Klose from Poland, Had Kuranyi from Brazil and Gerard Asamoah from Ghana. Poland had Emanuelle Olisidebe from Nigeria and Croatia Eduardo from Brazil (both who had passports sorted for them to play)

And you have both France and the Netherlands with their colonial players Davids, Seedorf, Thuram and Viera.

So if these countries have been doing it for years why not us. England brought in John Barnes, and Scots born McGeady plays for Ireland as he feels more Irish. Its not like even the home nations are still keeping with the only those born play tradition. Are we the last traditonalists in picking only those with the links? Should we be?

I think, although not entirely sure, that if Novo was to show the required commitment to play for Scotland on the field. Show the same tenacious qualities he did at Dundee and does at Rangers then why not give him a chance.

"To select an obvious non national would be both absurd and demeaning" - this came from Terry Butcher our Enlgish assisstant manager. Pot calling the kettle black perhaps.

Celtic captain McManus sees no problem however saying that as a quality striker he would enhance the squad.

any opinions

Guest Spectre

I think the whole thing is ridiculous. It should stop with the nationality of ones parents. I can't believe we (England) are now talking about Almunia and Arteta. Pathetic. Win it with ones own people or admit others are better.

I dont think Arteta or Alumunia are better than anything England have, but with Novo, he is better than Miller in terms of scoring goals for example.

I prefer the idea of winning with what you have or accept others are better but the thing is others dont. Portugal (deco) Italy (Cameronesi) France (half the team) Germany (host of nationalities) the Netherlands ( again alot from the dutch antilles and such like) Croatia (Eduardo) and Poland (olisedebe) are all teams probably considered by most to be better than Scotland and most of them are around Englands level and its not a level playing field. Should we not be allowed to consider levelling it up if allowed in the rules?

"To select an obvious non national would be both absurd and demeaning" - this came from Terry Butcher our Enlgish assisstant manager. Pot calling the kettle black perhaps.

I totally agree with Butcher here. If the link is back to grandparents then so be it. i.e Quashie. If the link is through naturalisation by residence then No.

Besides, if he aint good enough for Spain he aint good enough for us.

The Nacho Novo that hit 25 goals in the SPL in one season with Rangers, I would take in a flash. The Novo that has fallen down the ranks at Rangers to such an extent that he is now behind a player that himself cant get a game for Scotland, no thanks.

I have no problem with it as long as they give there all for the jersey. Whereas I don't beleive Morrison etc do, I am convinced that Novo would. He has long talked about his love for Scotland, and has I think both a Scottish wife and Scottish kids. Never gives anything less then 110% which is more than can be said about a fair few.

Let me get this right, if he aint good enough for the current European champions, he aint good enough for a team who haven't qualified for a single tournament in over 10 years.

Ok i can understand perfectly the reason not to pick him. I dont really want Nacho McNovo playing for Scotland as he's Spanish but that is utter folly. Raul wasnt good enough to get in the last Spain squad despite a good end to the season and being Spains all time top goal scorer but i'd deem him good enough even now. Just because they cant get into a top 5 teams squad does not make them not good enough for Scotland. Only Craig Gordon would come close to that in the current squad.

I totally agree with Butcher here. If the link is back to grandparents then so be it. i.e Quashie. If the link is through naturalisation by residence then No.

I think this could be seen as discrimination of sorts as hinted by the Scottish minister for sports. If someone does become a resident of a country, they should not be treated as a 2nd class citizen and be looked apon equally for any job. In this case could it not be said that if a holder of a British passport then technically he should be seen in equal terms to any other uncapped resident with passport?

If one was born abroad but to foreign parents but lived here their whole life then no one would bat an eyelid.

His children are Scots born to one Scottish parent. Who says the bloodline must run backwards?

I want Scots with Scottish accents playing for Scotland but with the likes of Commons, Morrison, Quashie in the team recently im seeing the arguement for him getting in. a ) he's lived in Scotland longer than the zero years all the other 3 have b ) he has more of a Scottish accent than all three c ) his children were born and live in Scotland as does his wife.

Personally i'm wondering if it should be more of a case that if he is playing fairly regularly, well and is considered of the quality required and is deemed "commited" enough and is legally by the rules eligible then why shouldnt he be looked at as an option.

Im stressing i'm not advocating it 100%. Just pondering the idea.

[edit] Foreigners on the Qatar Team

Because of its small population Qatar has included a small number of foreign players who have played in Qatar for more than two years, contrary to popular belief that the whole squad is made up of only South American and non-Arab African players. Many players who are born and brought up in Qatar have been mistaken as foreign players brought to the country by the FA for naturalization. The following list is of all foreign and non-Arab African players who play on the Qatar team.

F?bio C?sar Montezine - 1/1 Brazilian

Marcone Amaral - 1/1 Brazilian

Abdulla Koni - 1/1 Senegalese (played in Qatar for 9 years before getting citizenship)

Mohamed Saqr - 1/1 Senegalese

Qasem Burhan - 1/1 Senegalese

Sebasti?n Quintana - 1/1 Uruguayan

atar

Let me get this right, if he aint good enough for the current European champions, he aint good enough for a team who haven't qualified for a single tournament in over 10 years.

Ok i can understand perfectly the reason not to pick him. I dont really want Nacho McNovo playing for Scotland as he's Spanish but that is utter folly. Raul wasnt good enough to get in the last Spain squad despite a good end to the season and being Spains all time top goal scorer but i'd deem him good enough even now. Just because they cant get into a top 5 teams squad does not make them not good enough for Scotland. Only Craig Gordon would come close to that in the current squad.

I think this could be seen as discrimination of sorts as hinted by the Scottish minister for sports. If someone does become a resident of a country, they should not be treated as a 2nd class citizen and be looked apon equally for any job. In this case could it not be said that if a holder of a British passport then technically he should be seen in equal terms to any other uncapped resident with passport?

If one was born abroad but to foreign parents but lived here their whole life then no one would bat an eyelid.

His children are Scots born to one Scottish parent. Who says the bloodline must run backwards?

I want Scots with Scottish accents playing for Scotland but with the likes of Commons, Morrison, Quashie in the team recently im seeing the arguement for him getting in. a ) he's lived in Scotland longer than the zero years all the other 3 have b ) he has more of a Scottish accent than all three c ) his children were born and live in Scotland as does his wife.

Personally i'm wondering if it should be more of a case that if he is playing fairly regularly, well and is considered of the quality required and is deemed "commited" enough and is legally by the rules eligible then why shouldnt he be looked at as an option.

Do the words tongue and cheek come into your vocabulary.

In this case could it not be said that if a holder of a British passport then technically he should be seen in equal terms to any other uncapped resident with passport?

So would it be right, in that case, for us to have gone for Gerrard, Beckham etc before England got them? British passport holders living in Britian.

He has spent the majority of his career in Scotland, must be about 10 years now. Raith Rovers, Dundee and Rangers and has been very successful with all clubs and in a way the only real professional football he knows is Scottish.

I think as a player he would be a good edition to the national team but the idea of him playing for Scotland to me is very strange.

But Eduardo did it with Croatia, Almunia wants to with England, and so did Cudicini as well.

In this case could it not be said that if a holder of a British passport then technically he should be seen in equal terms to any other uncapped resident with passport?

So would it be right, in that case, for us to have gone for Gerrard, Beckham etc before England got them? British passport holders living in Britian.

Totally different. If you are a British citizen by birth then you qualify to play for one (or more) of the home countries based on their individual criteria. Beckham, Gerrard, Rooney et all would not be eligible for Scotland (more's the pity). However, is it not the case that someone awarded citizenship after naturalisation or immigration is eligible to play for any of the home countries because they are now a British citizen and can choose which country to play for if selected. [wasnt there some talk about Matt Le Tissier a few years back in a similar vein?]

Personally, I regard Novo as more Scottish than some in the national team ... c'mon, he started his Scottish career in Kirkcaldy FFS, he needs some reward !!!!! If he would play for the jersey (which I think he would) then I dont see why he should not be eligible for selection. Other countries do it and lets face it, Scotland is not exactly producing too many world beaters these days.

Do the words tongue and cheek come into your vocabulary.

On the 1st question, sometimes tongue in cheek, or other forms of sarcasm can be lost across the medium of typed script

On the 2nd, perhaps again a "tongue in cheek" question, I think with the very unique status Britain finds itself in with four seperate FA's operating under one nationalisation then I'm sure England has sole dibs on all English born as similar with the rest, with 1st refusal to English born with Scots grannies etc.

I remember a couple of years back, when a was a nipper there was a Jamacian in the championship linked with a call up, Johnson perhaps his name was. I cant recall. He had never even played in Scotland but had a British passport and was considered eligible.

In response to Stevico1, Most Portugese never seemed to air a major call of outrage, but Rui Costa wasn't best pleased. Probably as he was ageing and no longer at his best.

And eh, there is no chance that Stevie Gerrard or David Beckham, are, ever have been, or ever will be good enough for Scotland!

Edited by iamthecaptain1

David Johnson - used to play for Ipswich Town and quite a few clubs after that....

David Johnson to play for Scotland - 1999

Another one of those Jack Charlton stories courtesy of MW Irish Radio:

Another story from Andy Townsend (born in Maidstone Kent by the way) about Jack Charlton, told of the time they were to play Italy in New York during the World Cup USA. The team were told that as it was New York and soccer, that 70% of the stadium would be full of Italians and the remaining 25% would be Irish. As the Irish team coach made its way to the stadium they were passed by dozens of coaches full of Irish Supporters with only the ocassional Italian coach. The Irish management revised their figures and they now expected the crowd to be 50-50. When the players went out into the arena to soak up the atmospere and feel the pitch they were met with the sight of a mass blanket of green, white and gold. Jack Charlton turned to Tony Cascarino the Irish striker and said to him, "Christ! Tony you're the only Italian in this place."...

Edited by Tichy_Blacks_Back

If he was to get a UK Passport then I fail to see how he could be prevented from playing....and I don't see why anyone should try to.

If a UK National (regardless of bloodline or place of birth) can be called up to fight for this country, then I don't see why they shouldn't be eligible to represent us at sport.

Time for a lot of people to take a bit of a reality check and drag their ideals out of the middle ages.

Let him play.

What's next? ICT shunning fans who weren't born in Inverness?

If he wants to play, legally qualifies and is better than what we have, he should be snapped up. How many Scots players have we lost out on to other countries in recent years?

Let him play.

What's next? ICT shunning fans who weren't born in Inverness?

If he wants to play, legally qualifies and is better than what we have, he should be snapped up. How many Scots players have we lost out on to other countries in recent years?

:rotflmao: