FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Jock Macdonald RIP

tm4tj

Dad of an old mate of mine. Jock was a great character, but few know that he was a celebrity in Japan, albeit briefly, as is the way over there. He frequently appeared advertising Big T on the telly, and one script, in particular brings Jock home to us.

Jock is standing looking at the camera with a glass of whisky in his hand.

Voice over: This is Jock McDonald. He has two loves in his life, Scotch whisky and Scottish football.

Jock takes long slow sip of his glass.

Voice over: This is his favourite brand. Big T.

Jock lowers the glass and nods slowly, smiling his approval.

Voice over: Unfortunately, he is less sure about Scottish football...

Close up of Jock frowning.

Great fun, and you can just see how it worked with his craggy face.

Sad sad news. Big Jock was ill for sometime. He was a great man and will be remembered through out Scottish Football.

He welcomed myself and some friends onto the Jags team bus as a way of getting to away games back when I was a lad and always treated us well. I will always remember sitting between him and Ernie Walker in the stand at Kingsmills trying my best not to be a pest and normally not succedding.

I was given a framed picture of Jock that used to be in the board room at Kingsmills. it shows him meeting Jim Leishman at Kingsmills when he signed for the Jags. I would love to keep it but if there is family or the ICT museum that would really like it, let me know and I can pass it on.

A true gentleman.

Very sad news indeed, and one thread on here where I think everyone can speak with a single voice.

Condolences to his family, and to those who knew him well. He will be sadly missed by the ICT family (fans, players, officials and staff).

Smee - you may be thinking of Norman Miller.

Seeing the news brought this passage to mind:

"After lunch, the BigMan was in good form as we played pool against John Macdonald from Inverness, who was one of Jock's closest friends and allies at the SFA... MacDonald was badgered mercilessly by the Big Man. His whole repetoire of gamesmanship was on show: shakes of the head, tut-tutting over MacDonald's choice of shot just as he was about to play were all part of the kidology and it paid off, as we collected the money..."

This is from Alex Ferguson's autobiography and describes the afternoon of Jock Stein's death in Cardiff. I remember reading this and being surprised and somehow touched that the man I'd seen countless times around Kingsmills when I was growing up next to the ground was obviously well respected and influential beyond the Highland League. RIP.

Edited by alternative maryhill

Minutes silence on Saturday?

Perhaps a minutes applause may be more appropriate for him?

I think that it would show our appreciation in a more fitting way for a man without whose influence and dedication we wouldn't have an ICT to support.

A minutes silence to show respect, a minutes applause to show our appreciation .... I would go along with whatever those who knew him best think he would have approved of most.

I will however stand up and join in with either of those gestures from the comfort of my computer room here in Toronto when the time comes and would urge anyone else listening on the radio or on the internet to do the same. no-one will see you, but you will know you paid your last respects to a man who helped shape our club from day 1.