FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

When Scotland used to Qualify.......

Moomkin

Being humped by Switzerland wasnt geat.  however aside from that ( remembering the teams Switzerland have beaten and qualified against - they were in France's group i believe) we have done well.

Yes Bulgaria were not at full strength but you forget that, Gordon, Webster, Pressley, Hartley, Ferguson, Maloney, Mcmanus and K Miller were all missing. Thats 6 regular starters (1st 5 and Miller) and Maloney was getting close to there.

And Japan were not in disarray. They were just poor. and have been an ordinary side for a while

• 3 months later...

cant belive theres doubters out there after the result yesterday did we not beat the 2nd best team in the world or what great result whatever anyone thinks they played as a team yesterday with the old passion i remember from 74 and 78 maybe not so much flair but passion and the 12th man the fans were great as well well done to them all  :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04: :clapping04:

Scotland "used to qualify" when we had a team made up of players who were either all playing in the top flight and/or were recognised as being "world class". We also "used to qualify" under the model/style employed by the much criticised Craig Brown. And Walter is following that model wth one exception - he is mixing some younger players in with the old timers.

Best game that I have ever been at was when we beat Cyprus 3-2.

Hi Mee, nice to see you making a comeback, even if it is with a vengeance. Hope to see you at matches again too.

As for Scotland, I have to agree with some of the so called 'negative' comments but I will say this. We are improving, we do have a few decent players and we do have a good mix of youth and experience. Also the National youth policy is showing success for the future.

We are entitled, however, to be elated at the success over the last eighteen months. It's been a long time coming. Bear in mind, one and all, that, as we are improving, so to are the Bulgarias of the world. Most of those 'so called' Eastern Block countries are present or future members of the EEC and, as such, their players have more freedom to move within europe and to gain a great deal more knowledge and experience, from this, than they could have done in the past.

As for the quality of the top teams from the world cup. Personally I dont think there's a team out there that could lace the boots of those teams who qualified in the seventies and eighties. The Brazil's, Mexico's, Argentines, Germans of that era would p1ss on any of todays bunch of cheats and divers and Scotland can be as good as whats on offer now.

As for religious comments made above, and I hope mine is the last seen on this thread, every man, woman and child on this earth has a right to believe, or disbelieve, whatever they feel comfortable with and nobody has a right to mock that belief.

Rant's over.