FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

When Scotland used to Qualify.......

Moomkin

If you feel that you are sinking into the myre and drivel of the press  and TV coverage over the next few week, just close your eyes and remember the euphoria when.....

Lorimer scoring our first in 74

Wee Archie....beats one beats two; Gemill-GOAL!!! 78

David (Toe-poke) Narey; 'I say' Scotland 1 Brazil nil 82

Stachan, Strachan; what a goal! Scotland 1 Germany 0 86

Stuart McCall...it's a bit late to start playing now! 90

After that except for perhaps the Flower of Scotland prior to the Brazil match in 98, there hasn't been a thing.

My wee boy looks at me as if I'm mad but I remember when......

Have I missed any?

David (Toe-poke) Narey; 'I say' Scotland 1 Brazil nil 82

I was in the bar of a guest house in Talmine (near Tongue) when that went in....absoloutley brilliant.

Kenny Dalglish curling one into the postage stamp corner against Spain - circa '85... I was in the enclosure behind him - still can't believe how much bend he got on that ball-

These were the days.... :o :)

• 3 weeks later...

Jock, I believe you are correct, Scotland indeed, don't have a team worthy of the name and will not grace any stadiums at big events in the forseeable future. We do not appear to have the pace, power, skill, astuteness, quality, depth and passion anymore. In other words, we are rubbish. :019:

Guest Jock Watt

Jock, I believe you are correct, Scotland indeed, don't have a team worthy of the name and will not grace any stadiums at big events in the forseeable future. We do not appear to have the pace, power, skill, astuteness, quality, depth and passion anymore. In other words, we are rubbish. :019:

Extremely sad to say !

Eh? Norway 1 – Scotland 2;  Slovenia 0 – Scotland 3; Scotland 1 – Italy 1; Bulgaria 1 – Scotland 5. These are results from the last 12 months – hardly a sign that we are ‘down and out’.

Don’t put your national team down, TM4TJ. Scotland are a team on the up – and they will qualify for the next Euro Championship. Remember where you heard it first!!

Eh? Norway 1 – Scotland 2;  Slovenia 0 – Scotland 3; Scotland 1 – Italy 1; Bulgaria 1 – Scotland 5. These are results from the last 12 months – hardly a sign that we are ‘down and out’.

Don’t put your national team down, TM4TJ. Scotland are a team on the up – and they will qualify for the next Euro Championship. Remember where you heard it first!!

Spot on A96... we are starting to become a team that can show potential plyers like Webster, McCfadden, Fletcher, Maloney, Boyd, Gordon and err Tokely  :001: are all players that could compete in most teams and for once the star players in the OF teams are Scottish  :010:  This can surely only be a good thing I think the Euro's group might be a bit toooo tough but you never know what could happen and I for 1 will certainly not be giving up hope!!

Too much negative thinking on this thread boys (Harry excepted) – not good. Won’t get anywhere as a nation if our glass is always half empty.

We are every bit as good as the two teams from Switzerland and Ukraine who played the other night – and probably better.

A96, when you start watching games on a Sunday, that will be the time Scotland have made it in the big time.

I agree we have improved, we are only rubbish now.  Norway 1 – Scotland 2;  Slovenia 0 – Scotland 3; Scotland 1 – Italy 1; Bulgaria 1 – Scotland 5, hardly opponents to put the fear of death in to you, Italy apart, who you forgot to mention beat us 2-0 in the same event. Beating the Bulgars was also not the real deal, although beating any sort of team is good for us, winning a cup.............come on, we won one and drew one, get real, open yer eyes. Harry I thought you knew something about football.............

We have improved and we can only hope it continues, but compared to teams at the world cup, we have an awful long way to go.

A96, when you start watching games on a Sunday, that will be the time Scotland have made it in the big time.

I agree we have improved, we are only rubbish now.  Norway 1 – Scotland 2;  Slovenia 0 – Scotland 3; Scotland 1 – Italy 1; Bulgaria 1 – Scotland 5, hardly opponents to put the fear of death in to you, Italy apart, who you forgot to mention beat us 2-0 in the same event. Beating the Bulgars was also not the real deal, although beating any sort of team is good for us, winning a cup.............come on, we won one and drew one, get real, open yer eyes. Harry I thought you knew something about football.............

We have improved and we can only hope it continues, but compared to teams at the world cup, we have an awful long way to go.

I'm surprised your not part of the English media with a statement like that... we should not assume to be better than any other national team but we can expect our team to play better than it has been doing over the last few years and so far under Smith we have seen a vast improvement.  On comparison to previous Scottish national teams we are starting to get up to scratch maybe not world beaters but we are definitely starting to look like a team that can compete.... and I thought you were the positive one on this board!!

Harry I thought you knew something about football.............

We'll see who comes top of the Predictor league at the end of the World Cup oooooohh wise one :004:

I would say I believe but because of mars stealing that.................

I believe on our day we now, with the new found organisation we have have the ability to take 18 points from the 3 bottom teams in the draw. I feel we could beat Ukraine at home and France without Zidane are nowhere near as good a team. (remember also that Thuram etc are also bowing out)

Lets get behind the team. our standing in the seeding is bad though and needs to improve to give us a chance for future draws

Not sure of your logic there TMFTJ. Not watching games on a Sunday is part of my way of life and won't be changing for any reason. So if Scotland do make it to the big time - playing on a Sunday in the World Cup Final  :004: - I won't be there to share it. There are some things in life that are bigger than football.

Anyway, a forum would be dull if we all agreed. But we've certainly come a long way from the time when we were 2-0 down to the Faroe Islands and managed to scrape a draw. I'm sure we all agree that progress has been made by the national team under Walter Smith & Co.

In my humble opinion, Scotland will never move on as a modern free thinking society until backward looking institutions like religious organisations stop being able to brainwash the population with pathetic rules made up purely to keep the common people in their place and keep the wealthy rich. And even worse, "being religious" seems to be some sort of license for them to flaunt their ignorance and lack of original thought to the rest of us, try to reason with them and they will quote bits out of whatever flavour of fairytale book their "religion" takes as gospel. Hypocrites, every one of them!

In my humble opinion, Scotland will never move on as a modern free thinking society until backward looking institutions like religious organisations stop being able to brainwash the population with pathetic rules made up purely to keep the common people in their place and keep the wealthy rich. And even worse, "being religious" seems to be some sort of license for them to flaunt their ignorance and lack of original thought to the rest of us, try to reason with them and they will quote bits out of whatever flavour of fairytale book their "religion" takes as gospel. Hypocrites, every one of them!

:protest: :protest: :protest:

Oh aye and they're usually completely unable to justify their "beliefs" when confronted. Why don't you save your religious cr@p for Sundays and keep it off our forum completely?

Upon what excatly is this new found optimism about the national team based??

The last time we played decent opposition we got humped 3-1 by Switzerland and it should have been much, much more.

The Kirin Cup was against a shadow Bulgaria squad and a Japan team is disarray.

Those thinking we have any chance of qualifying for Euro 2008 are living in dreamland

Hey don't spoil our dreams Kencar. Dreams are free - and they sometimes come true!  :003:

Supporters of a Third Division diddy team in Inverness once dreamt that their team would play in the Premier League one day........................and the rest is history.