FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

SPL ponders expansion plans ....

Scotty

According to the BBC, in an interview with Chief Executive Neil Doncaster, the SPL is open to the idea of changing the way the SPL works (or doesnt).

"We have been talking to supporters and there does seem to be some desire to freshen things up. That could mean more teams in the SPL but we have to be open to all ideas. The play-offs in the Football League have been a tremendous success and innovations like that can create much in terms of excitement and revenue." http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/s...rem/8548227.stm

Personally, I think it would be a good idea. The top teams in D1 have always been around the same level as the bottom teams in the SPL (even when we were in the SPL and looking down on D1!). Increasing the number in the top division could also lead to less boredom over fixtures as we could theoretically get back to playing each team only twice in the league each season and maybe enhancing one or more of the cup competitions to make sure we still have enough home fixtures each season that teams dont lose revenue.

Wonder if the other SPL teams would go for it or would they block it ?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard this on STV. Of course alot of us will be biased because realistically it means ICT will be in the SPL again, but in all honesty the SPL has been a joke for years now. The fixtures that come up all the time, 2 teams playing each other every couple of months is unreal.

16 teams would certainly freshen it up. 2 teams up, 2 teams down. Away with the split aswell.

I can't see those with the financial clout wanting to increase the number of teams if it meant reducing the number of times the old firm play each other. What I can see is the introduction of play offs. On the one hand it can seem very unfair on a side that finishes a clear 2nd only then to see the team that finished several points behind get promoted. However, it does keep interest going so that most teams have something to play for until very late in the season. There is no doubt the concept has been a real success down south, particularly with play off finals at Wembley.

Keeping 12 in the SPL with the bottom club going down and 11th joining 2nd, 3rd, and 4th in the 1st division in play-offs would seem to be a very realistic option and one that I would certainly support.

a 12 or 16 team SPL would be great in my mind with the split removed. Remember when ICT had more points than Hibs who were in the top half, ridiculous!

a Play off final is very exiting in England, so would like to see that.

However the OF carry the power so they would by tradition vote against it.

Happy to see the SPL looking to change

I'm in agreement with Dalneigh Caley on this one. The major stumbling block would be that Huns - green and blue - would meet less and probably try to block such a move. An spl with county, caley, Dundee and the pars would be great in my opinion. Can't see it happening but we can live in hope. If you look at the Dutch Eredivise the league seems to function there ok with big clubs like PSV and Ajax in the same league and VVV Venlo so can't see there being too many problems. I like the first as it's more relaxed in terms of awayday banter. Still, wouldn't say no to a return to the SPL. I think we would have fared well against Celtic this season too. Apologies for the rambling.

There should be a playoff now between 2nd bottom in the spl and 2nd top in the 1st. If a team runs away with the 1st division or is rooted to the bottom of the spl, like Gretna and Livi have been in recent years it kills all excitement at the bottom of the spl/top of 1st.

Even when ICT were in the spl I thought there should be playoffs because if you finish 2nd bottom of the league a playoff is the least you deserve

Whatever happens it will not be this season. It would have to be decided upon prior to teams beginning their campaign. Perhaps Terry got wind of this and signed for another year in the hope of promotion and a subsequent bonus next year!

Would love to see a 16 league team, would seriously freshen things up and would simply make things a bit more intresting but i just don't see anything like this materialising. Reason being that people who are in charge of making it happen lack the ambition to do so.

I would love this to happen but it wont. The OF carry too much power in voting shares. Every club is supposed to have 1 vote on a board if 12 and a 75% vote is needed for anything to pass. Unfortuanately the OF carry 5 votes each so if the other 10 voted yes and the OF vote no then its split 50/50 and nothing will happen. Has happened since the dawn of the SPL and until their voting power is removed there will be no chance of changing anything.

I would love this to happen but it wont. The OF carry too much power in voting shares. Every club is supposed to have 1 vote on a board if 12 and a 75% vote is needed for anything to pass. Unfortuanately the OF carry 5 votes each so if the other 10 voted yes and the OF vote no then its split 50/50 and nothing will happen. Has happened since the dawn of the SPL and until their voting power is removed there will be no chance of changing anything.

That can't be? Is it Legal? Is it Moral? Is it Fact? Surely not? FFS!

In my opinion a 16 team league is the only way to stop the freefall of Scottish footbal, give a bit of stability and allow the youngsters to develop in competetive matches without being under quite as much pressure as they are now. It may even result in some entertaining football like we used to have!

Rather than the SPL deciding on personal financial short term gain, how about putting the future of Scottish football to a public vote.

Anyone up to setting up an online poll or petition if the general feeling is strong enough?

Regarding the problem of the OF only playing each other twice, with the 16 teams playing each other twice it comes to 30 games over the season.

Im sure there is a Fifa or Uefa rule that stipulates there has to be a certain amount of games in a league season so 30 would not be enough. However an 8 team split with 7 further games would allow for a 3rd game, though I think having a neutral venue would be a good idea to save on bias arguments. Old firm - Hampden etc (a similar sized ground, not far away from the clubs grounds)

Perhaps just have 18 teams and a 34 game season like Italy. This allows for a few spare weeks compared to the 38 game calendar. A winter break perhaps?

The Scottish game requires SERIOUS revamp,the product is pish,unentertaining and only followed in the main by a fast dwindling hard core of die hards.Supporters need to have a glimmer of hope their chosen team can have a modicum of hope at attaining a wee bit glory now and then,be it winning the league,cup,or a wee trip to Europe.The current set up where 3rd palce is considered the target is mince and a good run in the Scottish cup is the only realistic target for 38 teams :D

2 x 16 team leagues with some cutting back of deadwood to facilitate,2 up 2 doon, and a pyrimid system for entry into the league for ambitious smaller teams.A new national cup with 4 regionalised mini league early stages gaurenteeing derbies,ICT /Coonty,Dee /Utd,Hib/Hearts,Ayr /Killie,Motherwell/ Accies and of course allowing the OF another game to swell their coffers.Winners of regionalised leagues into semi and fnal and a place in Europe for the winners to stop it becoming a "diddy" cup.

The only thing absolutely certain is leaving things anything like they are just now will continue the downward spiral

Regarding the problem of the OF only playing each other twice, with the 16 teams playing each other twice it comes to 30 games over the season.

Im sure there is a Fifa or Uefa rule that stipulates there has to be a certain amount of games in a league season so 30 would not be enough. However an 8 team split with 7 further games would allow for a 3rd game, though I think having a neutral venue would be a good idea to save on bias arguments. Old firm - Hampden etc (a similar sized ground, not far away from the clubs grounds)

Perhaps just have 18 teams and a 34 game season like Italy. This allows for a few spare weeks compared to the 38 game calendar. A winter break perhaps?

Sweden play 30 games in a 16 team league, I'm sure fans would be willing and able to shell out more per game if there are less games to pay for and Scotty's idea about a revamp of the cups could make them more interesting (qualifying leagues tables? More teams in the mix?). I''m sure it can be done.

That can't be? Is it Legal? Is it Moral? Is it Fact? Surely not? FFS!

How many times have the OF stopped any changes going through?

unless they agree it wont happen.

How many times have the OF stopped any changes going through?

unless they agree it wont happen.

But they need the Scottish game more than the Scottish game needs them. Time to call their bluff.

Now they do, seeing as England wont have them unless they agree to start from the bottom. I still cant see why they dont see the benefits as the OF game will again become a good game to watch. seeing it happen 4-7 times a season kinda takes the shine off it aswell.

And for the thing that the SPL have said about the seeking their own TV deals is bang out of order. Hopefully they will be stupid enough to do it and get expelled from the SPL.

Edited by caleykid1994

From a selfish perspective increasing the number of teams could see us promoted and that would be great. However, I don't think that the way to improve the SPL is to further dilute the quality of teams in the league for the sake of variety. Also, it's wrong to pin the blame on the Old Firm for the way Scottish football has become poorer over the last few years - if you think that any of the other clubs would agree to a 16 team league with 30 games a season then you're kidding yourself. That sort of set up would significantly reduce the money that clubs would make from the gate - currently SPL clubs play 18-20 home games per season, taking that down to 15 is a loss that most clubs wouldn't be able to take on the chin. TV money wouldn't increase to cover the losses and cup attendances are lower than in teh league so putting a group stage in the League Cup would be a non-starter.

The main reason why Scottish football is in a poor state is due to the ridiculous decisions taken by the SPL board and the club directors over the last decade or so. The SPL had a great TV deal from Sky but rejected an extension to try to set up their own TV station - the stupidity of this still makes me smile. Then, just as the league pulled itself up by the bootstraps, they signed a massive deal with Setanta, just as many analysts were pointing out that the company were going into difficulties. The collapse of Setanta has left the SPL out of pocket on TV money for the second time in less than ten years, yet how many chairman, board members, chief executives have been held to account? Incidentally, on each occasion the Old Firm have been on the right side of the argument - they rejected the SPL TV farce and they (alongside Aberdeen) wanted to take the SKy option last time out. Blaming the Old Firm is always fun but in these instances they aren't the villans.

One thing I do think would be a positive move is for there to be play-offs between the 11th side in the SPL and the 2nd team in teh First. No reason why this couldn't happen, it'd be a good wee end to the season and would liven up both the SPL and SFL1.