FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

McBain

dam17

If your referring to him right now i'd say he is slightly beyone SPL level but still a great player to have with his influence on the team but back in his day Roy was a top player.

If your referring to him right now i'd say he is slightly beyond SPL level but still a great player to have with his influence on the team but back in his day Roy was a top player.

Does that mean he's Premiership material?

Roy has been a stalwart for this club and, I'm sure, will continue to have a major part to play. He may be a little older but he can still show the younger ones a thing or two.

I'm with you Alex, I've always liked him and he has a great ability to read a game... and a really nice lad.

Edited by Georgeios

For me, he should have been Butchers first choice left back ahead of Djebi-Zadi in our last SPL campaign. Had that been the case, I am absolutely certain that we would not have been relegated when you look at the number of goals we conceded due to defensive errors from that area of the pitch.

Now, I still think he has something to offer as cover for centre midfield and left back.

How fitting and nice that this is the first thread in a very long time that there is almost unity between the posts. I agree with all of what is said. I really dont think that Roy will get a regular run in the team but he would be on my bench every week. I too would have blooded him as a left back a long time ago and if Gillet does not come up to standard or falls injured - McBain would be my first choice.

Respect to Royster. :_thumbup:

• Agree 1

For me, he should have been Butchers first choice left back ahead of Djebi-Zadi in our last SPL campaign. Had that been the case, I am absolutely certain that we would not have been relegated when you look at the number of goals we conceded due to defensive errors from that area of the pitch.

Now, I still think he has something to offer as cover for centre midfield and left back.

Spot on, completely agree. Might not have the physical presence of a defender but has a very good footballing brain and positional sense. I feel he would have been a much more reliable left back than LDZ

Offers great cover as a left back, defensive left midfielder, central midfielder or as a holding midfielder

came on for Duncan today in the holding role and looked very comfortable

A loyal player who still has an important role to play at ICT

I know it was lionel at left back but when mcbain was first played at left back he wasnt exactly good, but still he could have been better than LDZ

but at midfield he was a fantastic player for us and i would say he would be a regular starter for a first divsion time like dunfermline, dundee and falkirk easily

Edited by Pedz4king

Roy is a true gentleman and a scholar. A really nice guy and a versatile player who should have played more games last season and we would have strolled to the title sooner.

He should have a major input this season, although it might be horses for courses.

I have always been a fan of Roys. I felt real bad for him the majority of last season when he wasnt getting a game...but...being a true professional, he sat in the wings and came in the last few games and played as tho he was a regular starter. Nice to see so many positive comments about him on this thread :)

A wee story, kind of Roy related...well...actually..it is completeely Roy related.

One night...i was on a u2 website...on the chat.....speaking to peeps from all over the world. Got talking to one guy. Al cut to the chase, turns out he was in Aberdeen...and a Friend of Roys! Small Wordl eh!

The best one footed player I have ever seen. He's really good with his left foot I've always wondered how good he would have become if he ever tried using his right foot.

someone correct me if im wrong but our first game of the 08/09 season did roy not make a break in 90th min at pittodrie and slot the ball into the corner with his right foot?

someone correct me if im wrong but our first game of the 08/09 season did roy not make a break in 90th min at pittodrie and slot the ball into the corner with his right foot?

If you are right about that, then both of our goals that day were something of a rarity!

The best one footed player I have ever seen. He's really good with his left foot I've always wondered how good he would have become if he ever tried using his right foot.

That deffo rings a bell!

Edited by SMEE

He did indeed and what a fantastic goal it was.

He started the run from his own six yard box on the left side and made a diagonal run to the edge of the Don's box and rifled the ball past the keeper with his right foot after Imrie made a reverse pass into his stride.

2-0, brilliant stuff.

...and a certain right footed volley in Dingwall many years ago - probably one of my favourite ever ICT goals, certainly one of the most memorable. Think Roy himself was the most surprised person in the stadium when it went in!

One of the Magnificent Seven

Wilson

Mann

Teasdale

Robson

McBain

Wyness

Tokely

Every fule kno that...

Don't you mean one of the 'C-l--k-e seven' (sorry Roy)

Great player to have in the squad, It amazes me how so many of our players have upped their level of professionalism to conquer the opposition as we have risen through the leagues

i personally dont think he's up to SPL standard anymore but he can still do a job, he's only going to be playing about 10 games this season IMO but i can understand why Tel kept him, he's a great influence to the youngsters and can easily help out in the dressing room