FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gary Speed found dead

tm4tj

Unbelievable

So Shocked - one of the nicest people in football - He will live long in the memory of millions of people

Deverstating for his family, for Wales, and football in the principality

Rest in peace

There was a minutes clapping at the Swansea match, apparently Given the Villa Goalkeeper was crying at Kick off

Nobody can belive it

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/27/tributes-wales-manager-gary-speed

Edited by Laurence

Have to admit that I shed a tear or two on the way home today. Depression is such an invisible and cruel illness - my hope is that the fact that Gary secretly hung himself in his family home will only bring the nation to an understanding. We are ot allowed to us the term professionally but it sounds like a "smiling depression" - perhaps it is me but I could see torment in his eyes on Football Focus - I suspect that he probably gave "hints" to many apart from the ones closest to him.

People think that only the mentally ill complete suicide. I recall some years ago that I was part of a Public Health Audit looking in to 138 suicides - want to guess how many were known to Mental Health Services or had presented themselves to A&E - 9 - yes feckin NINE.

Unbelievable

So Shocked - one of the nicest people in football - He will live long in the memory of millions of people

Deverstating for his family, for Wales, and football in the principality

Rest in peace

There was a minutes clapping at the Swansea match, apparently Given the Villa Goalkeeper was crying at Kick off

Nobody can belive it

http://www.guardian....ager-gary-speed

Gary and Shay Given spent five years together at Newcastle.

Sad waste of a talented person with a lot to give. For some the pressures of life overpower life itself. R.I.P.Gary

Terrible news. It's a sad fact that people, for whatever the reason, feel the need to leave this life early. Read the RIP thread on pie & bovril, which is sadly being destroyed by an ICT fan called 10CCICT. Words fail me.

I was stunned when I heard. A true football legend. He seemed to have everything going for him - what torment he must have been going through. Wishing his family the strength to get through this difficult time. R.I.P.

• 2 weeks later...