FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Our neighbours put out the begging bowl

Sorry but can't get the link to post but on front page of c*untys website. The gist is that they are asking fans to fork out £20 each towards the improvements that need to be made to Victoria park. Comments?

You dont have to use the link button in the toolbar if you dont want to .... just type the link directly in the post, including the http part and it will automatically become a link: http://www.rosscount...ballclub.co.uk/

DISCLAIMER - external link, may not be good for your health :furtive:

So they've blown all their cash to win the league now they cant afford to play in the new league. They are obviously not too well educated either if they think they took 20,000 fans to Hampden. Many of that 20,000 were people like me who are fans of football that had never been to a final and were hoping to see the underdog win. This particular final was one of those that obtaining tickets was very easy due to the low fanbase of our neighbours.

This is quite interesting. Appreciate the rivalry bit but.........

We give them a kicking because the have a multi millionaire Sugar Daddy in MacGregor who has helped them 'buy' their way to the SPL and Hampden. Then, we give them a kicking for fundraising through their support. Can't have it both ways can we?

Seems to me that this is a perfectly reasonable way to revenue raise. Much less offensive than sticking a three year old child and a piece of wood under my nose in a sad attempt to draw my hard earned cash in exchange for washing equipment! Keep it up I say!

• Agree 1

A number of years ago, if I remember correctly, did they not offer life long season tickets in an attempt to bail them out at that particulat time. Now that they are in the SPL, that lifelong season ticket bought for £XXX will not benefit the club any longer as they will surely miss out on yearly sbscriptions at around £300 per shot. I don't know the actual figures that were touted around at the time, Possibly £500 for the lifetime tickets which I understood to be transferable through the family, but that short term fix might not be seen as a good piece of business by the club now? I also believe that quite a lot of supporters took up the option at the time as it was a good deal.

If it kept them afloat and helped them to get where they are today, then you'd have to say it was ultimately a good piece of business. If County now find it to be a bit of a burden should employ Duff & Phelps to help them find a way of reneging on the deal.

Every ICT season ticket holder/match goer/shareholder effectively contributed in the region of £60 to £65 to the cost of the developments we needed for promotion, so asking for £20 a head is not unreasonable in comparison.

• Agree 1

And how the HELL do you think the cash was found to put North and South stands at the Caledonian Stadium in 2005 when there was an urgent necessity to return to Inverness when the cost of hiring Pittodrie was threatening to bankrupt Caley Thistle?

Then apart from that, I suppose getting fans to chip in to get their name put on a brick at the Caledonian Stadium or on an away strip doesn't count as the same sort of scheme since it was ICT who did it?

Next up, the perfectly admirable ICT car boot sales which are an excellent means of fundraising. Has anyone seen anything on Jailender/overthebridge criticising these?

Finally, it's a bit ironic that these gripes sjould emerge today... just as the names of four of the five ICT fans who have recently put their hands in their pockets to help their club out have been released. Or is this beyond criticism when it's £50K a shot or when it's ICT?

I'm with Sorted on this one.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 1

And how the HELL do you think the cash was found to put North and South stands at the Caledonian Stadium in 2005 when there was an urgent necessity to return to Inverness when the cost of hiring Pittodrie was threatening to bankrupt Caley Thistle?

Then apart from that, I suppose getting fans to chip in to get their name put on a brick at the Caledonian Stadium or on an away strip doesn't count as the same sort of scheme since it was ICT who did it?

Next up, the perfectly admirable ICT car boot sales which are an excellent means of fundraising. Has anyone seen anything on Jailender/overthebridge criticising these?

Finally, it's a bit ironic that these gripes sjould emerge today... just as the names of four of the five ICT fans who have recently put their hands in their pockets to help their club out have been released. Or is this beyond criticism when it's £50K a shot or when it's ICT?

Calm down dear calm down :wink: :wink:

(sorry Charles couldnt resist)

There is a slight difference Charles - in all ICT's initiatives that you list, people putting money in got something in return : shares, bricks, shirts etc. It's quite unusual to simply ask for donations.

But you can't blame County for handing round the begging bowl if it help keeps the debt down, and I wouldn't fault a football club for raising money by any (legal) means.

There is a slight difference Charles - in all ICT's initiatives that you list, people putting money in got something in return : shares, bricks, shirts etc. It's quite unusual to simply ask for donations.

But you can't blame County for handing round the begging bowl if it help keeps the debt down, and I wouldn't fault a football club for raising money by any (legal) means.

Anyone who purchases shares in the football club is doing no more than making a donation.

As for the bricks, this was no more than a novel means of posting a list of donors - or are you suggesting that if the people who stumped up to get their names on these integral parts of the main stand actually own them, they would therefore be perfectly entitled to take their "property" away with them at any time?

Anyone who purchases shares in the football club is doing no more than making a donation.

As for the bricks, this was no more than a novel means of posting a list of donors - or are you suggesting that if the people who stumped up to get their names on these integral parts of the main stand actually own them, they would therefore be perfectly entitled to take their "property" away with them at any time?

Well done Charles, the next time ICT (or a related organisation) gets told to do one when trying to raise funds then I'll think of the admirable job you did here in totally devaluing what was being offered and the effort being made.

You sure you're not a Staggy?

• Agree 1

That's not quite true. You might not expect to make any profit on shares, but they buy you certain rights. Presumably the Muirfield Mills deal would have taken a lot less than 8 months to finalise if it had been an unconditional donation.

And as for the bricks, I actually own one as it was the cheapest way I could find to get on the property ladder. The vexing question of "Who owns the stadium" could take a further twist if I don't keep up my mortgage repayments!

That's not quite true. You might not expect to make any profit on shares, but they buy you certain rights.

Aye we got access to the accounts and AGM, a club discount card, and other stuff I've long forgotten about.

And as for the bricks, I actually own one as it was the cheapest way I could find to get on the property ladder. The vexing question of "Who owns the stadium" could take a further twist if I don't keep up my mortgage repayments!

I swear I won't mention your tent Yngwie, but a brick is an admirable start :whistle:

Charles, your turning more and more into a gudgie with every post you type! :lol:

Well done Charles, the next time ICT (or a related organisation) gets told to do one when trying to raise funds then I'll think of the admirable job you did here in totally devaluing what was being offered and the effort being made.

Don I'm not sure whether you genuinely misunderstand what I am saying or merely choose to do so.

Just in case it's the former, the point I am making is that ICT and its fans have made a number of parallel and equally laudable efforts to raise cash for their club so it really does appear a little selective - churlish even at this highly successful time for them - to criticise Ross County's commendable enterprises whilst rightly supporting and endorsing ICT's.

On your second point, I should perhaps simply echo John F Kennedy's famous 1963 quote of solidarity with Berlin when he visited the city during the height of the Cold War in 1963 and comment

"Ich bin ein Staggie!"

as a mark of appreciation of Ross County's achievement of SPL football for themselves and hence also of double representation and derbies for the Highlands.

Edited by Charles Bannerman

Caley Thistle initiatves have been quite good - names on the away top, brick at the stadium, car boot sales etc.

It generates cash for the club AND gives something back to the fans / offers a service.

This new appeal from County is as Old Caley Girl stated in her title 'putting out the begging bowl'. It's not offering anything in return.

Not to say it's not a bad idea however. If it raises cash then it's a great idea. But if there is nothing in return for the fans that donate, then it literally is begging and can't be compared to offering services such as car boot sales or names on tops

• Agree 1

Don I'm not sure whether you genuinely misunderstand what I am saying or merely choose to do so.

Just in case it's the former, the point I am making is that ICT and its fans have made a number of parallel and equally laudable efforts to raise cash for their club so it really does appear a little selective - churlish even at this highly successful time for them - to criticise Ross County's commendable enterprises whilst rightly supporting and endorsing ICT's.

On your second point, I should perhaps simply echo John F Kennedy's famous 1963 quote of solidarity with Berlin when he visited the city during the height of the Cold War in 1963 and comment

"Ich bin ein Staggie!"

as a mark of appreciation of Ross County's achievement of SPL football for themselves and hence also of double representation and derbies for the Highlands.

Charles, you are being far too objective and sensible. It is really quite unbecoming of a journalist :tongueincheek:

This is a fans' forum where anything done by the local rivals is fair game for instant vilification whilst if we do the same thing it becomes an action worthy of endless praise. Don't take it too seriously.

What Doofers Dad said.

As hard as I find it myself at times, some questions/situations just don't need the obvious pointed out because it's not about being right or wrong, it's about football!!!

For what it's worth, I didn't think for one second you were trying to undermine the efforts of anyone and I already knew you were really a Staggy :lol: