FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Tabloid speak

Yngwie

It amuses me that the sports pages of our tabloids always contain words and phrases that you will never see or hear anywhere else, because football fans simply don't actually use those terms, ever.

For example:

• "Hitman"
  • "Stopper"
  • "issued a 'come and get me' plea"

Any others?

In tabloidese players are often "flattered" that a bigger club has been "tracking" them. Said club may then "swoop".

The one that makes me choke on my cornflakes is when somebody has "admitted" to being a "self-confessed" fan of either half of Old Filth.

Boak.

Today the term 'football star' was used to describe Garry O'conner when talking about his drugs case - also mentioned was Drogba getting an offer at Real Madrid as he too is a 'football star' - no distinction as to which shines brightest tho

other tabloid terms

'busty'

'romp'

any female model or tv star is a 'stunner'

The ones that a certain Scottish daily paper which is mistaken by some to be a Rangers fanzine seem to use are "beast" and "caged". Which gets up my nose as it seems a bit too sensationalist even though the crimes they discribe are often appauling..

Edited by Proctor

"Stopper"

The only time I've ever heard the term "stopper" mentioned is when people are talking about old-time centre backs. Stoppers were defenders who'd go to a man and try and stop him playing (Jack Charlton for example). Most would then have a sweeper in behind for cover.

My all time favourites are:

'Beaks' as in "Derek Adams was hauled in front of the beaks to recieve another twenty match ban yesterday".

'Foreign crack(s)' as in "Celtic were dumped out of Europe by foreign cracks Athletico Kebab yesterday" or "Rangers were linked with crack Italian striker Carlos Kickaball last night"

last night

Yes indeed "last night" is a real favourite of newspapers when they try to kid the public that they're not really hours behind more rapid response media such internet, radio and TV.

For instance you might get something like: "Ex Rangers stopper Terry Butcher LAST NIGHT swooped from his secret Highland hideaway to snap up crack Dutch hit man Ruud Boogers on a one year deal. The Highlanders' boss, who has been ordered to appear before Hampden beaks following his latest rant against Scottish whistlers, had been tracking the busty goal ace since the flying Dutchman issued a 'come and get me' plea just before the last transfer window slammed shut. The England legend has now signed Boogers from under the nose of his old mate and fellow Ibrox legend Coisty, whose derisory wage offer of 50p a week was described by Boogers' agent Dick van Dyke as 'woeful, but I suppose it's the best they can afford'."

Now what this really means is that LAST NIGHT, Terry was actually at home in Abriachan enjoying a glass or red wine and reflectiing over his latest signing who had put pen to paper first thing that morning, as reported throughout the day by broadcasters and internet.

Edited by Charles Bannerman
  • Agree 10