FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Gordon Strachan (Scotland manager)

AJS

Scotland is too small a country to have a team of top quality players but it can have a top quality team. 

I don't think you meant that? If you did, feck off.  

Chill pill. I said somewhere I wasn't an English teacher - I'm not a biology teacher either but DD is just talking common sense. I think 'gene pool' just about covers it.

We can expect to beat the likes of England on the park if we get our best 11 fit. If they have 6 injuries they can pull in another 6 of equal quality - we can't. And there's a fair chance that the 6 will be an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than what we've got.

Crops of decent players only come around periodically. Look at the current Welsh team. Best Wales side in my lifetime I would say.

Now that the world is a considerably smaller place, small nations like ours are only punching our own weight, not above it as we always didbefore. In fact, thanks to people like Levein and Vogts, we are punching below it at the moment.

BTW England have plenty problems of their own at International level, IMO. But our problems have emerged more quickly because of our size.

I'm a Nat too but I don't really think sport is very important (too much like Hitler in 1936). If we were comfortable with ourselves as a nation we would be happy with just the taking part.

Edited by TheMantis

Scotland is too small a country to have a team of top quality players but it can have a top quality team. 

> I don't think you meant that? If you did, feck off.  

Chill pill. I said somewhere I wasn't an English teacher - I'm not a biology teacher either but DD is just talking common sense. I think 'gene pool' just about covers it.

We can expect to beat the likes of England on the park if we get our best 11 fit. If they have 6 injuries they can pull in another 6 of equal quality - we can't. And there's a fair chance that the 6 will be an inch taller and a few pounds heavier than what we've got.

Crops of decent players only come around periodically. Look at the current Welsh team. Best Wales side in my lifetime I would say.

Now that the world is a considerably smaller place, small nations like ours are only punching our own weight, not above it as we always didbefore. In fact, thanks to people like Levein and Vogts, we are punching below it at the moment.

BTW England have plenty problems of their own at International level, IMO. But our problems have emerged more quickly because of our size.

I'm a Nat too but I don't really think sport is very important (too much like Hitler in 1936). If we were comfortable with ourselves as a nation we would be happy with just the taking part.

If everyone was just comfortable taking part, life would be mundane and I'd still be following football from the sports section because ICT and this site wouldn't exist.

Hitler? Really? WTF did that come from?

If everyone was just comfortable taking part, life would be mundane and I'd still be following football from the sports section because ICT and this site wouldn't exist.

Hitler? Really? WTF did that come from?

Is that you adopting the Charlie Bannerman tactics? Ignore the post and reply to the last line :laugh:

What you say is all perfectly true. You should take part and try to win - I should have made that clear. However there's more to life than sport. Maybe losing used to ruin my weekend when I was younger but not now.

If we think the most important thing about Scotland is to be successful at football (90 minute nationalists) then we've lost our way. We should look at other nations such as The Netherlands :laugh: :laugh:

Hitler - just a throwaway comment but surely you know how he tried to use the 1936 Games as propaganda?

Can't see him lasting the pace to be honest. The team will only be as good as the players available. At this point in time Scotland hasn't got that quality.

Have to disagree Gringo...

Levein had the best crop of players available to any Scotland manager since Craig Brown.  If you look at the complete duds that Berti tried out (Maurice Ross, Robbie Stockdale, Paul Devlin anyone?) it's a wonder he got us to a play off - nevermind won the first leg.

The current crop of players, while I am not saying that they are world beaters, are the best any manager has had to deal with for many years and Smith and McLeish did not too bad with worse.  The blame lies mostly with the utter arrogance, incompetence and buffoonery of Craig Latrine in my opinion.

Burley was on a hiding to nothing with the media from the moment he started - the very first headlines about him were criticising his tie at his inaugural press conference.  Compare this to the way they treated Smith and McLeish... Do you think they will f**kin dare try that sh*t with Strachan??????  I think we all know what response they'd get.

I feel that in the short space of time a manager has with his players at international level GS can make a difference and use this effectively.  I'm not saying he's going to magically make everything better but I do feel your comment of him not "lasting the pace" I have to disagree with.

That's all I have to say about that!

You wern't a fan of Levein then! :hiding:  

No, not really!  I'm a T.A supporters club member and obviously wanted and was willing him to succeed but his record was truly, truly woeful.  3 competitive wins.  THREE!  And 2 were against Leichtenstien, with the home win being won in the 97th minute.  After going down 1-0.  AT HOME!  TO LIECHTENSTEIN!!!

All of his wins were by just 1 goal too.

Mark McGhee rumoured to be his assistant...

Never have i seen a man more dislocated from reality than what McGhee was when in charge of Aberdeen. He Thought he was doing a good job and couldnt see the obvious. Im not liking this appt

Edited by SMEE

Mark McGhee rumoured to be his assistant...

Never have i seen a man more dislocated from reality than what McGhee was when in charge of Aberdeen. He Thought he was doing a good job and couldnt see the obvious. Im not liking this appt

Egotastical maniac the man is,lied about Aberdeen fans spitting on him,played players out of position and tried to bully kids

Horrible man that i think the players may not take kindly to

Hitler - just a throwaway comment but surely you know how he tried to use the 1936 Games as propaganda?

Great opportunity to remind everyone of England's 1938 shame!

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Shame?  England won 6 -3!  :tongueincheek:

This is actually quite interesting and my comment above is not entirely tongue in cheek.  It is, of course easy to regard the Nazi salute as shameful in hindsight but however uncomfortable it may be, one really needs to see it in the context of the time.  The match was pre-war but clearly there were huge tensions.   The German government saw the game much as they had seen the '36 Olympic games as an opportunity to demonstrate to the world the superiority of the German race.  Whilst Hitler was not at the game, most of the other leading Nazis were.  There was a crowd of 110,000 expecting another German victory to extend their 14 game unbeaten run.

The English officials (in consultation with the British Government) did much agonising about whether to give the salute or not.  The view was that to refuse would be seen as a petulant gesture which would just ensure the hostility of the crowd and, more importantly, the wider German people and Government.  Give them respect in the formal pleasantries and give them a beating on the park where it matters was the view.  They did just that rounding off with a superb Stanley Matthews goal to seal a great victory.  At the time this was seen as real setback to Germany in their propaganda campaign.  Had England not given the salute and then been on the receiving end of a 6 - 3 scoreline the boost to the propaganda of the Nazi regime would have been huge.

In retrospect I think it is fair to say giving the salute was a mistake.  Snubbing the Nazi's by refusing to salute and then giving them a hiding on the park in front of such a huge crowd would have doubly deflating for them.  But of course, because of the terrible events that followed, it is the picture of the salute that is the enduring image and the impact of the match on the German people at the time is forgotten.

But we stray off topic.  Had he been there as an honorary Englishman, what would wee Gordon Strachan have done?  Would he have followed instructions and given the salute?  No.  I think he would have done this  :finger:

• Agree 1

All my nightmares come home to roost, Strachan, aided by the arrogant McGhee. Do we want to just complete the set and get the County manager along with Willie Miller. All ex Dons, and arrogant berstewards.

As for Doofer, Scotland being too small. Tell that to Denmark, Portugal, Holland, Belgium, Croatia, and Uruguay. Uruguay with a smaller population than Scotland, have won the World cup twice, been South American champions many times and still produce world class players.

Granted where we get let down is the subs bench.

Anyway Strachan is a shocking decision. Even the Celtic fans turned on him when they were winning the league and getting into Champs league last 16 

• Agree 1

Guest Mahonio

For God sake guys, lets give both Gordon and Mark time before criticising their appointments :/.

Its as Craig Brown said yesterday, he trusts Mark so this might work out well.

I agree with CB when he said "you could have a super coach but if you don't trust him then it just won't work out".

Yes, McGhee did a poor job at both Bristol R and Aberdeen but this time he's an ASSISTANT so Gordon gets the final say.

Great opportunity to remind everyone of England's 1938 shame!

attachicon.gifuntitled.png

Shame?  England won 6 -3!  :tongueincheek:

This is actually quite interesting and my comment above is not entirely tongue in cheek.  It is, of course easy to regard the Nazi salute as shameful in hindsight but however uncomfortable it may be, one really needs to see it in the context of the time.  The match was pre-war but clearly there were huge tensions.   The German government saw the game much as they had seen the '36 Olympic games as an opportunity to demonstrate to the world the superiority of the German race.  Whilst Hitler was not at the game, most of the other leading Nazis were.  There was a crowd of 110,000 expecting another German victory to extend their 14 game unbeaten run.

The English officials (in consultation with the British Government) did much agonising about whether to give the salute or not.  The view was that to refuse would be seen as a petulant gesture which would just ensure the hostility of the crowd and, more importantly, the wider German people and Government.  Give them respect in the formal pleasantries and give them a beating on the park where it matters was the view.  They did just that rounding off with a superb Stanley Matthews goal to seal a great victory.  At the time this was seen as real setback to Germany in their propaganda campaign.  Had England not given the salute and then been on the receiving end of a 6 - 3 scoreline the boost to the propaganda of the Nazi regime would have been huge.

In retrospect I think it is fair to say giving the salute was a mistake.  Snubbing the Nazi's by refusing to salute and then giving them a hiding on the park in front of such a huge crowd would have doubly deflating for them.  But of course, because of the terrible events that followed, it is the picture of the salute that is the enduring image and the impact of the match on the German people at the time is forgotten.

But we stray off topic.  Had he been there as an honorary Englishman, what would wee Gordon Strachan have done?  Would he have followed instructions and given the salute?  No.  I think he would have done this  :finger:

How f**kin' old are you?!  :tongue:

• 2 weeks later...

Just taken from the BBHC gossip section - sourced the Daily Fail, obviously an awful paper, but hope this isnt true

Rangers defender Lee Wallace will earn a recall to the Scotland fold later when manager Gordon Strachan names his squad for next week's friendly against Estonia. (Daily Mail)

Surely WGS must realise that 4th teir Scottish football and players that choose Sevco because of greed over footballing success don't deserve a national call up.

But then, do players from the SPL when League One is a better division or fans are hoping players go to the bench of the Championship to 'improve'?

Is Lee Wallace (amongst) the best of Scotland's left-backs?  That's what matters.

I grant you he isn't playing against international class opposition most weeks but my first point still stands.  No-one in the SPL is either, nor most of our English-based players, with a tiny amount making regular starts in the EPL.

Goalkeepers: Gilks, Marshall, McGregor:

Defenders: Bardsley, Berra, G Caldwell, Hanley, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Wallace, Webster

Midfielders: Adam, Brown, Burke, Commons, Forrest, McArthur, Morrison, Philips, Snodgrass

Forwards: Fletcher, McCormack, Mackie, Maloney, Miller, Naismith, Rhodes

Shinniesta dropped, unsurprisingly.

Goalkeepers: Gilks, Marshall, McGregor:

Defenders: Bardsley, Berra, G Caldwell, Hanley, Hutton, Martin, Mulgrew, Wallace, Webster

Midfielders: Adam, Brown, Burke, Commons, Forrest, McArthur, Morrison, Philips, Snodgrass

Forwards: Fletcher, McCormack, Mackie, Maloney, Miller, Naismith, Rhodes

Shinniesta dropped, unsurprisingly.

Stuart McCall was at Midden last night so no surprise Shinnie was dropped after McCall watched that game.