FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Butcher offski?

Pele_Is_God

They may be a 'richer ' club, can offer him a bigger budget and fill his wallet up a bit but that is nothing to what he could achieve by staying with ICT.

Not that much bigger. Petrie is trying to get rid of Hibs debt hence the reason other managers have failed there. They still have debts of £5.5 million. Something Petrie is miffed about considering a couple of years ago he'd got this down to below £3 million so the player budget still suffers.

• Agree 1

This whole palaver is boring me to tears. I have a great deal of respect for Terry but he's making a right pigs ear of this situation. He and his advisors should have had the deal done before the whole thing became public. Dragging this out all week with us heading to Easter Road on Saturday is far from cool. Time to bring this to a conclusion and move on.

• Agree 4

Terry is only following the pattern and flow of his ingrained personality - it could even be a subconscious process - but now either way he has really fecked this up although I actually doubt that he realised how much that he was worshipped and how more he could have expected if he had not decided to haughtily try and play a power game. Unfortunately I can only see this going as I have predicted. I do not think that he would be able to ride the tidal wave of Highland dissent if he leaves us in such circumstances.

Terry is killing his chances of salvaging anything at either end the longer he keeps this up.

Im at the point now where I almost dont want him back (I know that sounds bitter) but Hibs are a rival club with the same aims and aspirations as ourselves in a league where there is never much distance between teams. If this was an English club it would be a different story. Different league, different mindset, different country. Deep down I just dont think his heart is in it anymore.

I cant imagine what the week has been like for the players and the backroom staff. My only hope is Hibs are peddling out the same tripe theyve been displaying for weeks and we take them apart. The players will need the full backing of the fans, especially on Saturday. I imagine its been a difficult week for each and every one of us.

If he does leave I will be gutted, I will be gutted to see a man depart at a crucial time in the season, after having worked tirelessly for the last 5 years in building this club into a real force. I will be gutted to see him head to a club where he will ultimately throw it all away chasing the same ghosts that Fenlon, Calderwood, Hughes and Paatelainen have been chasing. But what I will be gutted about most is we will never see how far Terry could have taken us. We still sit high in the league and we still have a cup semi final in February to get through. If Marsella and Malpas follow then we will have to re jig our entire way of doing business. A formula which has served us well. Especially in the last 2 seasons, the thought of that dosent bare thinking about. 

If he does stay Im not convinced he will have the same authority or respect from the fans though time would tell on that one. Things could go on like nothing happened.

On the flip side if he does depart. Our high league position and cup status makes a really attractive outlet for any manager. I would expect a massive flurry of applications. While it will be frustrating it could also be a really exciting time for us as fans. 

At the moment all we can really do is put this hellish week behind us and get right behind the team that is put out against Easter Road on Saturday...regardless of whoevers in charge. Eddie Thompson said fans are the only constant in football. I think that statement means more now than it ever did. 

The ICT ride will continue! Lets do our bit to keep it going.

• Agree 4

This whole palaver is boring me to tears. I have a great deal of respect for Terry but he's making a right pigs ear of this situation. He and his advisors should have had the deal done before the whole thing became public. Dragging this out all week with us heading to Easter Road on Saturday is far from cool. Time to bring this to a conclusion and move on.

Not quite accurate.

ICT were only approached for permission to speak to him on Tuesday afternoon.  He would have only got full details of what was on offer yesterday.  Not unreasonable for him to take a day or two to decide his future.

• Agree 2

Im at the point now where I almost dont want him back

He never left. If I were a manager, I would at least go to other clubs and hear what they have to offer, even if they were arch rivals. And the least that would happen is, I know more about that rival club than anyone else in the league. 

Not quite accurate.

ICT were only approached for permission to speak to him on Tuesday afternoon.  He would have only got full details of what was on offer yesterday.  Not unreasonable for him to take a day or two to decide his future.

The other part in the process is that Mo and Steve are involved and ICT and Hibs need to agree compensation. There's a lot to be done over and above Terry's decision so we need to stop criticising and be a bit more patient.

Why repeat what you said fifteen mins ago.

As frustrating as it is to not know the final decision - one way or the other - I can understand why it is taking a while.

TB has to weigh up all the options and that involves not just him but also MM and SM potentially. If Hibs have agreed to offer all 3 a contract then there is 3 sets of compo to discuss if he accepts, if they dont want all 3 then TB has to consider whether going it alone is worth it (like Sydney !) and ultimately after weighing all that up or not he has to get the answer from his missus !!!

we need to be patient .... and on the plus side, he is not gone (yet!)

• Agree 2

Why repeat what you said fifteen mins ago.

Technical hitch. It's still boring me to tears mind you.......

Not quite accurate.

During the whole Barnsley fiasco, you were very vocal throughout the whole thing that Butcher would stay.  You said this, even during times when it looked more likely he was off, and were often a lone voice citing your belief, which to be fair, you stuck to throughout and in the end were proven right.  

During this saga, you've hardly said a word.  Why?

Edited by Renegade

Having heard Maurice Malpas  interview  on various TV channels tonight if you look  at its content and his body language it would appear he plans to stay at  ITC. 

He talked about Terry having a decision to make not we have a decision to make and he said clearly he will remain in the ICT dugout until someone tells him otherwise.

When talking about the Hibs game he could have given a bland football cliché answer to endear himself to his new prospective employer instead told grittily about how hard they had trained  and importance of getting the 3 points from Hibs in Edinburgh.  

Added to which it would appear that Steve Marsala has distanced himself from all the speculation and has stated to one of the keepers that he will not be going to Hibs as part of a dream team.  

Maybe just speculation but perhaps Petrie can afford Terry Butcher but cannot afford the other two given that he would have to compensate not only ICT but a package for an outgoing Jimmy Nichol and their present goalkeeping coach.

The dilemma facing Terry Butcher might not be accepting the job at Hibs but going it on his own again without the rest of his successful backroom team  

• Agree 1

Not quite accurate.

During the whole Barnsley fiasco, you were very vocal throughout the whole thing that Butcher would stay.  You said this, even during times when it looked more likely he was off, and were often a lone voice citing your belief, which to be fair, you stuck to it throughout and in the end were proven right.  

During this saga, you've hardly said a word.  Why?

I have just as much faith in Terry staying this time as I had with the Barnsley approach.

A combination of things have meant I've perhaps not been as vocal about it (certainly on CTO) as last time.

1. The timing...pressure of work means I don't have so much time for contributing on CTO at the moment and I find it more practical to partake in discussion on Twitter.

2. I find the attitude of some users and the manner in which they post on here increasingly tiresome and aggravating. Other methods of online chat allow me to be more selective in who I engage with on a regular basis.

3. Due to the work I do with the club, I feel closer to the situation this time than I was last time. Whilst I know no more than what is in the public domain, others may perceive that not to be the case and I do not wish to be seen to mislead when my opinions are just that.

Scotty I agree patience is required, I can see that but I cannot for the life of me understand his motives behind all this kerfuffle.

An inappropriate time an inappropriate team and inappropriate actions from a man known for his rational thinking and behaviour (except on the touchline of course).....something is wrong, something has got to him, it's as if he has got to get out quickly.

Should he stay and I still hope he does I just hope that whatever is unsettling him gets sorted out or else this is going to happen time and time again.

My positivity has waned for once and I am clutching at straws trying to fathom out what has gone wrong.

Maybe I need one of IHE's counselling sessions !!

Have faith BughtMaster - all will be made clear tomorrow. It is simply a very badly timed power play. But I have to agree with Caley D that some posts are becoming tiresome and aggravating. However this is turning in to a fine psychological awareness thread.

Anyone on here in the same situation with a job offer on the table would discuss it with their family and some close friends. Some peeps on here seem to think that TB is obliged to discuss it with a public forum or the press.

Give the man a break!

As frustrating as it is to not know the final decision - one way or the other - I can understand why it is taking a while.

TB has to weigh up all the options and that involves not just him but also MM and SM potentially. If Hibs have agreed to offer all 3 a contract then there is 3 sets of compo to discuss if he accepts, if they dont want all 3 then TB has to consider whether going it alone is worth it (like Sydney !) and ultimately after weighing all that up or not he has to get the answer from his missus !!!

we need to be patient .... and on the plus side, he is not gone (yet!)

Scotty, I would tell you who will be in charge of ICT this time next week but last time I gave the forum inside knowledge re a manager change I was threatened with a ban ;) 

I think that lots of people on here are being totally unreasonable about this. As fans we all want him to stay but Butcher doesnt owe us anything, he has done quite enough and deserves all the attention he has been getting. Some people think he is being disloyal because he said he would see out his contract after the Barnsley affair but had it been a top end premier league team coming in the next day he would have been gone. He hasn't had much time since the approach was made on Tuesday but I think the more time he takes is actually a compliment. This decision isn't black and white yes or no. He has to work out does he want a new challenge, has to see what the opinion of Malpas and Marsella is, very important does he up root Rita from a really lovely life in the Highlands. It is all rumours but Butcher has not said yes or no regardless of the situation with Malpas and Marsella showing he is torn. I dont think money is a huge priority for him and he is aloud to speak about potential vacancy's so if he says no then I for one won't be resentful that he put us through this. And if he goes then i wish him luck and i get excited about a new man carrying on Butchers fine work.  

• Agree 1

He hasn't had much time since the approach was made on Tuesday

The official approach, that is. I would suggest that the reality is that he's had a full week to think about it.

maybe but if he has had a full week and yet still no decision then he must still be very much inconclusive of what he wants to do which i think is a good thing. If he wasnt torn he would probably have been gone days ago

I've just read the report on the BBC website and got the same sort of impression as Dargo20.  If Malpas and Marsala like working for ICT then why would they leave just because Butcher would like them to?  As a management team they have achieved a lot here and are appreciated by the club and the fans.  They also have the real chance of winning something big this year.  But despite the excitement of what this season could bring, I think both club and fans are realistic enough to know that at the moment the team is punching well above it's weight and as long as we stay in the premier division there is no chance of their being dismissed by the club.  They have a level of security they wouldn't get in other places (certainly not at Hibs) and they are genuinely appreciated here.

It's hard to know what to think.  I would have thought that if Butcher and Malpas (and to a lesser extent Marsala) work as a team they would have talked about the potential of moving before and would know that if a management opportunity came up which interested Butcher then it would be clear that the other two were either in or out - and the offer would involve them.  If Malpas was considering going to Hibs as well then I would not have thought he would be looking after the team just now.  That is an encouraging sign.

Whilst I said previously that whatever the outcome, this episode is damaging to the club and perhaps it would be best if Butcher left and let the club get on with the recruitment process, that was probably said out of frustration.  What I think would really be best is for him to realise that he has got a good job here until he retires and to stay and commit to being here for as long as the club wants him or until he retires.  He really could achieve legend status then.  I wonder if he really appreciates what he has here? 

CaleyD was right before and seems confident that he will stay.  CaleyD has good knowledge of the machinations behind the scenes and I am encouraged by what he says.  I get the sense that Butcher likes it here but probably has the dream of leading a bigger club to glory.  The reality is that that probably won't happen - but it is like an itch you can't stop scratching.  He knows he should stay put but he just can resist.  I hope CaleyD is right, but if Butcher is going to stay then lets hope he really stays and doesn't put the fans, the club and, most important of all, his players, through this trauma again.

• Agree 5