FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Masters Indoor Football

Alex MacLeod

MASTERS!? What a load of transatlantic politically correct nonsense. The appropriate term is VETERANS. After all the essential element of a competition like this is that those taking part are OLD.... and no disrespect to them for that.

We've been through this pantomime in athletics already. For decades, athletics for old people was accurately entitled Veteran competition. Then some PC prat from across the pond decided to euphemise the situation and call it "Masters". It's almost as if, in the best PC tradition, they're in denial about getting old and about labelling people in that sense so they've tried to confer some degree of competence on the situation instead.

I never really was all that good at running so just because I've become old, that shouldn't entitle me to be called a Master, but by God I am a Veteran.

Now as it happens, people like Jimmy Calder, Charlie, Parkie, Brewster etc (IHE's suggestion  of Vetle is of course to be viewed like most IHE suggestions of this nature) are also genuine masters. I would also like to add my own nomination of Herchie as a Master as well as a Veteran. In fact there are so many worthy bearers of the title from the era when Inverness underwent its transition from Highland to Scottish Football League.

But I digress here and let's not allow what I've said there to obscure the silliness of the title as a whole. As a generality, the term Masters is nonsensical. Lets say it as it really is. These are games for old footballers, some more masterful than others, and let's not lose sight of that.

Mantis... complete agreement. Herchie's contribution both to Caley's latter days and to the early history of (I)CT was massive. Only to mention CT's first hat trick v Arbroath and a vital goal v Livingston in the Cup campaign which ended in the quarter finals against Rangers is almost to **** the man with faint praise.

(PS - respect to anyone who can apply the difference between factorising and expansion AND use the "is" form of the verb after "none"!)

I would also have to agree with Kingsmills about Brian Thomson. There were so many from that era.

From the early Caley Thistle days - Herchie, Thomson, Christie, Calder, Teasdale, MacArthur, Noble, Cherry......

And then there were the likes of the Black brothers, Corbett, Roshie, Milroy for whom Caley Thistle came just too late but who did inverness football proud in the years immediately before the merger.

Finally, there are guys like Urquhart, Robertson and Danny MacDonald who tasted the early days but whose careers ended either due to age or injury just as things took off with Pele in 1995.

Caley Thistle "Masters" (Veterans) XI anyone?

Calder, MacArthur, ???, Noble, Milroy, Cherry, Teasdale, Thomson, Urquhart, Christie, Hercher. (Struggling a bit for a left back, despite the temptation(?) to back Johndo and go for Vetle!)

PPS - Barry Wilson... you will be next to be inducted into this Hall of Fame!

Mike Teasdale.....one of my all time favourite players, not because he was the most skilled or any such thing, but I just loved it everyt time he got the ball -he only knew one move and that was head down and straight up the middle of the park.  Feckin Legend.