FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Those pesky neighbours!

buckett

Noticed the 'Sports Comment' column in today's Courier in which it was suggested that County could be serious contenders for this season's 1st Division Championship.

I'm sure we'd all be delighted for our neighbours if this were to happen, especially if we were to survive yet another season in the SPL, but more importantly, how would such a scenario affect us?

I'd always believed that whichever of the 2 teams reached the SPL first would thrive to the detriment of the other, and  this seemed to be the case when County were relegated to Division 2 while we had consolidated our place in the SPL.

But now County are back in Division 1, knocking on the door of the SPL if this article is to be believed. Can the Highlands sustain two SPL teams? Would all the neutrals flock back to Dingwall, given the choice, for SPL football? Would our pitiful home attendances become even more embarrassing as our neighbours report weekly gates of 6,000+, and thrive to our detriment?

Just a thought!  :014:

Off the park, I'd have to say that C*unty have always been (at least) one step ahead of us in many respects and I think they could (and would) do ICT serious damage if they were to make it to the SPL before we got our house in order.

Going to be quite a fight in div 1 this season. Super J's Dundee County Dunfermline and Livi all spending to win this season

The 1st was always my favourite division ..... even if it is without a doubt the hardest one to get out of. Don't get me wrong, I dont want to see us relegated but most teams in the 1st have a chance of doing something as they are all capable and that fact alone makes it competitive and interesting to watch.

Noticed the 'Sports Comment' column in today's Courier in which it was suggested that County could be serious contenders for this season's 1st Division Championship.

I'm sure we'd all be delighted for our neighbours if this were to happen,

Dont count on it mate. I hate the feckin thieving **** tinks.

Ross Co being in SPL is equally as ridiculous as Gretna having a team in tere. How is a town with a population of approx 4000 supposed to sustain an SPL team?

How is a town with a population of approx 4000 supposed to sustain an SPL team?

The name is Ross COUNTY - it represents the county of Ross-shire, with a population considerably more than 4000.

Unlike Gretna, Ross County frequently had gates of 2000+ while in the 2nd division. Who's to say they won't draw considerably more, including a fair few from Inverness, should they reach the SPL?

I think it would be great if County made it into the SPL with us - think how annoyed all the other clubs would be having to make the journey up here twice as many times!!  :015:

I don't think they will get promoted this year though, if I was a gambling man my money would be on St Johnstone.

I'm more worried about us surviving this year  :009:

I'd love to see Ross County in the SPL.  For one, I like all the ex-Highland teams, secondly, wouldn't it be great to have a rival?  I'd hopes that Livi were going to be our 'love-to-hate' team but that seems to have faded (even before we were in the SPL together).  Right now, that seems to be Dundee Utd but, well, I'm not too bothered about them really.  It was only really Brew trying to take our best players for a pittance that was the problem but not rivalry.

New Year 2008/09 season:

Rangers v Celtic

Hearts v Hibs

Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Motherwell v Killie

Hamilton v Falkirk

ICT v Ross County

Yeah, that would be a great day of local football squabbles.

Oh, and, is it not a bit pathetic that Inverness supporters are having a go at Ross County for being in the sticks?  Isn't that the best thing about the Highlands?  Or, should we bow to the Central Belt teams 'coz they've got more concrete than us?  :024:

I love the rivalry, the songs, the jokes and banter with their fans but as  far as county are concerned we have a lot to be greatful for - especially in terms of players we got from them, some of them on the cheap/free transfers. I think it'd be great if they made it into the SPL (not at our expense though) it'd bringback the league derbys which has been missing for too  long - pre season friendlies arn't quite thje same.

On the other hand i think ICT would lose out badly if County made it to th SPL and stayed there -  we'd have essentially lost our feeder club, we'd certainly lose some home support and long term we may well miss out on some sponsorship money/deals as there would now be two top flight teams vieing for sponsorship in the highlands.

But I can't hold that against County - I think it'd be great to see another highland club do well and i'm not going to be the kind of sour grapes miserable git who is against them doing well because it would threaten our (not-as-well-run) team because of our failings as a club.

SMEE. I dont know who you are but it is quite clear you are a total idiot.

You dont hate County, there is no reason for you to. We have a friedly rivalry but thats it.

It says on your profile that you are 38, if so then its time you grew up.

I love the rivalry, the songs, the jokes and banter with their fans

Completely agree with you there, it's not a rivalry where religion, race (unless you count Gypsies as a race  :023:) etc. is the core element of our rivalry, it's just two local teams both trying to be the best team in the area.

I would enjoy the league games again but the financial hit we would take with two Highland clubs in the top divison could be really damaging, so I think I will just stick to pre-season friendlies and the odd cup game.

I'd love to see Ross County in the SPL.  For one, I like all the ex-Highland teams, secondly, wouldn't it be great to have a rival?  I'd hopes that Livi were going to be our 'love-to-hate' team but that seems to have faded (even before we were in the SPL together).  Right now, that seems to be Dundee Utd but, well, I'm not too bothered about them really.  It was only really Brew trying to take our best players for a pittance that was the problem but not rivalry.

New Year 2008/09 season:

Rangers v Celtic

Hearts v Hibs

Aberdeen v Dundee Utd

Motherwell v Killie

Hamilton v Falkirk

ICT v Ross County

Yeah, that would be a great day of local football squabbles.

Oh, and, is it not a bit pathetic that Inverness supporters are having a go at Ross County for being in the sticks?  Isn't that the best thing about the Highlands?  Or, should we bow to the Central Belt teams 'coz they've got more concrete than us?  :024:

Being Ross-shire based, I would love for County to join us in the SPL - when my neighbours mention football, I have to say things like, oh yeah they won the 2nd at a trot didn't they? Inside I am smirking furiously, as I try to find something interesting t say which doesnt alter the fact that they are streets, or as we say in Ross-shire, acres behind us.

I dont think they will win it, and even if they did, I dont think they could sustain it. They will never steal fans from us, now that we have consolidated in the SPL. However, counterintuitively, I think it would be a win/win, as footie in the area would benefit.

I wish them success, as we have nothing to fear.

I never seen the report myself, but it has been talked about on our site too.

If you ask me it's a bit of poor journalism, basically trying to make up a story in the vacuum of the pre-season.  Was it based on the fact we have scored 32 goals in five friendlies so far ??  But then they wouldn't have looked at our defence has leaked 6 goals in those five games against lower league opposition !

I'm under no illusions that we will have a very tough season this year.  You could look at it an say we won the league last year easily.  But we only finished 7 points ahead of Airdrie, who failed to beat Clyde (who finished 9th in the 1st) in the play-off final.  And Clyde won both those games quite easily if reports are to be believed.

Yes we have added to our squad, but then we have also lost a number of players, none more so than a player who netted 29 times for us last season  :017:

Above all that, you have to look at Dundee, St. Johnstone, Dunfermline, Partick, Queen of the South..  All these teams also have the ambitions to win the league and most of them have also added quality players to their squads.

One thing about the first division is that a run of four wins will take you from bottom to top of the league, while four defeats on the trot could see the a fall in the opposite direction.  With every team capable of beating each other the first division is a bit of a lottery as to who will win it.

I for one would be happy with a 7th place finish next season.

Tomorrow night will be a good bench mark for both teams.

SMEE. I dont know who you are but it is quite clear you are a total idiot.

You dont hate County, there is no reason for you to. We have a friedly rivalry but thats it.

It says on your profile that you are 38, if so then its time you grew up.

you know nothing young one, you dont know me from adam, dont come on here and tell me what i do and dont dislike....now run along and play with your toys child

you know nothing young one, you dont know me from adam, dont come on here and tell me what i do and dont dislike....now run along and play with your toys child

Pretty mature reply there SMEE. Must have got you all wrong  :017:

Apologies if any offence taken though, I wasn't feeling the best after T in th park so maybe went a bit OTT, just thought it was a pretty stupid thing to say.

Completely agree with you there, it's not a rivalry where religion, race (unless you count Gypsies as a race  :023:) etc. is the core element of our rivalry, it's just two local teams both trying to be the best team in the area.

I would enjoy the league games again but the financial hit we would take with two Highland clubs in the top divison could be really damaging, so I think I will just stick to pre-season friendlies and the odd cup game.

Since 2005 Gypsies are a recognised race. Oh! And in case you weren't aware there are as many, if not more, persons of Gypsy or Tinker persuasion in Inverness-shire than anywhere else in the country outside of Perthshire.

Since 2005 Gypsies are a recognised race. Oh! And in case you weren't aware there are as many, if not more, persons of ***** or Tinker persuasion in Inverness-shire than anywhere else in the country outside of Perthshire.

Aye but most of the ones up here go home to the Black Isle at 5 o'clock. :010: