FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

World Cup draw

Yngwie

With the draw about to take place in South Africa, we're getting to the stage where the World Cup (and England's involvement in particular) will be mentioned almost daily on the news. Every reference to North Korea will be followed by the mandatory "who last qualified for the World Cup in 1966. And we know what happened then!"

I can exclusively reveal that the draw has actually been made in private and England's group will be:

England

New Zealand

Greenland

Isle of Man

OK so I'm bitter that England always get easy draws and Scotland aren't there. Although I'm not sure if there's a single team in the draw that I'd expect (Burley's) Scotland to beat.

Pot 1 (seeds): South Africa, Brazil, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, Germany, Argentina, England

Pot 2 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America): Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, United States, Mexico, Honduras

Pot 3 (Africa and South America): Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay

Pot 4 (Europe): France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia

I wouldn't. Most of those teams would beat Scotland, probably fairly comfortably.

I think we could sneak a 0-0 against New Zealand.

There could be a couple of cracking groups in there. For example:

Pot 1 - Anyone

Pot 2 - USA/Mexico/Australia

Pot 3 - Ivory Coast/Uruguay/Paraguay

Pot 4 - Portugal/France

Although it is a shame that the US and North Korea can't be drawn against each other.

If we got - South Africa, North Korea and Algeria I would be confident we would qualify for the next round.

Aaaah, it's sweet and touching, the naivete of youth......

You weren't alive in 78 (insert self-destruct smiley here).

Edited by The Mantis

Oh well looks like I will have to buy USA, Algeria and Slovenia tops then

You could save yourself money and buy "Im supporting all teams that play Engalnd at the 2010 World Cup"

on the back could say "And im damn proud of it!"

hehe

Edited by caleykid1994

Utter farce of a " draw " , set up for the big boys to progress and keep the tv companies happy .

The TV companies are happy when a lot of people watch the games. If the TV companies are happy then that suggests the fans are happy too. With 2 going through from each group there is plenty of opportunity for the less fancied teams to progress.

Well just before I was called away for my tea, I was going to post something generous about England's chances, wish them well, hoping that they could play some good stuff and entertain and so on (OK I would have to stop short of hoping they actually won, you understand, but nice to keep in with Oz, Guzz, Yompa and all the rest).

However after seeing the 6 o'clock news when we got the newsreader saying breathlessly 'well the World Cup draw is taking place as we speak, so let's go over to (insert name here) to find out about England's chances', I started to hae ma doots.

We then got about 5 minutes of Group C while I wondered when they'd get on with mentioning one or two of the other 28 teams, which, of course, never happened, but they did say we could find the rest of the draw on their website. And we've already had Capello being asked on behalf of the good old BBC 'can WE win?'

Give me a wee nation to support (actually I love Slovenia - it's a wonderful wee place just like Scotland).

Is that so hard to understand? England are like Rangers - all the resources, they're an absolute giant, but put them up against similar nations like Germany and Italy, or even Netherlands, and they punch BELOW their weight. Of course both also have travelling supporters whose attitude to foreign culture is a bit like that of Genghis Khan :011:

full draw for those who havent seen it ...... I am going for Nigeria myself as that is my wife's family ancestry and neither Scotland or Canada qualified

post-2-1259964559_thumb.png

Wiki has some crappy unbelievable info in many categories but the World Cup page looks pretty good ! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_FIFA_World_Cup

Well just before I was called away for my tea, I was going to post something generous about England's chances, wish them well, hoping that they could play some good stuff and entertain and so on (OK I would have to stop short of hoping they actually won, you understand, but nice to keep in with Oz, Guzz, Yompa and all the rest).

However after seeing the 6 o'clock news when we got the newsreader saying breathlessly 'well the World Cup draw is taking place as we speak, so let's go over to (insert name here) to find out about England's chances', I started to hae ma doots.

We then got about 5 minutes of Group C while I wondered when they'd get on with mentioning one or two of the other 28 teams, which, of course, never happened, but they did say we could find the rest of the draw on their website. And we've already had Capello being asked on behalf of the good old BBC 'can WE win?'

Give me a wee nation to support (actually I love Slovenia - it's a wonderful wee place just like Scotland).

Is that so hard to understand? England are like Rangers - all the resources, they're an absolute giant, but put them up against similar nations like Germany and Italy, or even Netherlands, and they punch BELOW their weight. Of course both also have travelling supporters whose attitude to foreign culture is a bit like that of Genghis Khan :011:

I refuse to take the bait with 6 months or so to go before it all kicks off. I'm sure by the time it does I will have had lots of "discussions" with you and the other Algeria/Slovenia/America supporters. :P