FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

When did you really start believing?

davieB

I was about to start a similar thread entitled "What was the game wot won it?"

In 2003/04 the final game was obviously vital, but I think most people would cite the Battle of Broadwood as the key game that really made the title ours.

So what was the game this season that changed us from "could" win the title into "should"?

I think everyone was waiting for us to falter, and to have dropped two points against Raith that day would've given our challengers a major boost. It was the way we just piled everyone forward for the last 10 minutes, there was a real determination from the players to not let the momentum slip. I just couldn't see us slipping up after that game.

For me it was Foran's 99th minute winner against Raith :lol:

Up til that point I thought we had a chance, but that goal turned the 'chance' into a definite 'we've won this' feeling.

Same for me...although I had been hopeful for a good while before that I still had this nagging feeling it was going to go pear shaped, that Foran goal was the stuff of Champions and never had a doubt from the moment that went in.

After the first 2-2 draw at Dens Park.

I knew we were as good as them if not better, and more importantly they knew we were as good as them. One or two blips along the way, but once the team was sorted then we cruised to the title. My finger nails are testament to that.

I was really encouraged when Terry & Mo announced they were staying for another Season :lol:

It proved they still had the faith & helped settle the team :D

Also with Terry not having Scotland commitments helped too :D

PS. a wee mention for young Nick Ross who scored the winning goal v Morton :D :D :D well done !!

Edited by Fanoffooty

Same match for me! A winner that late on in a match is the sign of a true championship winning side! Although I still had my fears going into the Dunfermline match!!

Don't think it's going to sink in until the Ayr game on Saturday!

For me it was Foran's 99th minute winner against Raith :lol:

Up til that point I thought we had a chance, but that goal turned the 'chance' into a definite 'we've won this' feeling.

For me it was Rooney's controversial last minute penalty at home to Partick, I said at the time that it was the turning point in our season and that is when I believed.

I hoped for quite a wee while, but it was the 3-0 home win versus our pot-mending neighbours that really made be believe.

After the first 2-2 draw at Dens Park.

I knew we were as good as them if not better, and more importantly they knew we were as good as them. One or two blips along the way, but once the team was sorted then we cruised to the title. My finger nails are testament to that.

I would say exactly the same. I knew that we stiil had the makings of a good team but that game at dens in august confirmed it. We played them off the park that day and they knew that. We did the same in the cup final and the other two league games but still couldnt get the win. But i think we took a huge boost from some of those performances. We knew that we were a far superior side and we built on that. I really was very happy with dundee taking all the headlines in the early part of the season because i always thought we were capable of going on a run like this.

The partick game away last month confirmed it for me. That really was a HUGE game at a ground where we had already been beaten. The work ethic that day was incredible and it was clearly obvious how much the players wanted it

For me it was Foran's 99th minute winner against Raith :D

Agree, Wyness13's "Believe" caption shows the players heading for Butcher to celebrate that goal, you can see by their faces how much that meant...................from that point I thought the league was ours.

For me it was Foran's 99th minute winner against Raith :(

Ditto - That was when I really started believing and I was convinced when we won at Morton when we could have gone down to 10 men and 2-3 goals down in a dismal first half.

My dream about the terracing at Ayr also helped.

Trouncing our near neighbours 3-0. Overcoming that was one of our biggest challenges as we hadn't beaten them and they were still well in the hunt. After that i felt we would do it.

i think probably when we got within touching distance of dundee and then the partick game going top. probably when jockey scott got the sack as they have just nevr got going again

Agreed, for me it was the sacking of Jocky Scott. I always had faith in the team but as soon as I heard on Sky Sports news he had been sacked I said to Caleyjag that that had just won us the league and she said she thought it would galvanise Dundee ........... how glad am I that I was right :lol:

There are so many instances though that you could say showed it: 3v0 against them, Forans winner against Raith (the whole of our area heard us both roaring in delight at the radio), Rooney's penalty against Partick and TB being relieved of his Scotland position and not doing tv work.

I always believed but it didn't help my nerves and even last Saturday when we were 2v0 up against Dunfermline I was shaking like a leaf :004:

It was honestly ages ago. There was never anyone that was markedly better than us (although i was feart as feck after the 1-3 game against C*unty. In the 3-3 draw against Ayr, Butcher was getting pelters from the main stand, and he could have folded then as could have the team but it spurred them on. Foran has come back to that point again and again and you could see the fight that was there. The Alba final was gutting, but they were no better than us and in that first half showed how vulnerable they were. Wierdly, 2nd half was probably Jockey Scott's only tactical success. Once ICT gelled, absolutely no doubt at all who was going to win this by sheer force of will if neccessary. DFC never had that and in a two horse race they were the donkey. Shame :004:

I've even dared to change the avatar now!

For me it was Rooney's controversial last minute penalty at home to Partick, I said at the time that it was the turning point in our season and that is when I believed.

Same here. Although I believed we were had a very good chance and make at the very least a right go of it, I didn't geniunely believe we would. Drawing with County when Dundee lost to Airdrie was when I thought we would.

Edited by Iain

For me it was the first game of the season - the stunning victory over a Montrose side brimming with confidence and eager to humble the newly relegated big boys from the North.

For 90 minutes the game was the most awful rubbish you have ever seen. One wag asked whether we would get our money back if we stayed for extra time. When it was announced that there would be extra time of 15 minutes each way, someone shouted "can't you make it 5!". The next 30 minutes was even worse.

Then to penalties. We went first and the first four penalties were converted for ICT and one missed for Montrose and then up stepped Lionel. Was he nervous? Was he afraid of ICT being humbled should he miss? Not a bit of it! Up he stepped and cool as you like, chipped the ball past the despairing keeper!

I realised then that the previous 2 hours of dross was just play acting. It was all meant to deceive so that the game could be decided on penalties and we could be treated to Lionel's touch of Gallic brilliance. Such a game plan required supreme confidence and I knew in that moment that the players believed and therefore I believed as well.

When Richie Foran agreed to stay for another season. Due to what little I new of players coming in and what I knew at the time of the players we had, I always thought he was going to be vital. Best player in the league by some distance.

Edited by TheKnowledge