FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Dundee in dire straits

Doofer

To be fair there's nothing in the article to say that Dundee are in any trouble. What they are doing is begging the fans to dig deep to try and replace the moneys that Melville will not be supplying next season. Melville thought he could buy success and failed. Dundee just went along with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmmm....... looks like some ICT fans have actually looked into this before posting.......but not many.

Dundee are no more in 'dire straits' than they were at this time last year. Sure, lots of Mr Melville's money has been spent, and sure, he did say that second place was nothing...... He also made no secret that his plan was a two year plan. Ok, he would rather have won the league after splashing his megabucks around, but lost out to a better team. So Dundee are in a similar position to where they were a year ago. As for not spending so much this season.....well, there's not the same urgency, as Griffiths and Harkins are already there. I'm sure other signings will be made.

As for what some of the above posts mention about not being able to buy success - short memories. It's not that long since the days of Gretna and Livingston doing it that way.

Dundee have a rich benefactor at the moment. They also have NO debt (since administration Dundee FC have NO overdraft facility with the bank). The board say things to try to persuade fans to buy season tickets (as do boards at all clubs) but when they are misquoted in the press, everybody with a keyboard jumps on the bandwagon. I don't think this will bother Mr Melville too much.

Dundee will probably win the league this season. The new management team will have seen all the mistakes made by their predecessors and will have learned from them as well as having their own ideas of how to progress.

Yes, the more astute of you will have no doubt realised that I speak as a fan of the 'Dark Blues' and as such I congratulate Caley Thistle on winning promotion. As I stated earlier, they were the better team.

Hope we get you in one of the cups this season, as I enjoyed our meetings last season, meeting quite a few Caley fans for a good craic.....

Up wi' the Bonnets........!!!

Dundee will probably win the league this season. The new management team will have seen all the mistakes made by their predecessors and will have learned from them as well as having their own ideas of how to progress.

It's a sure sign that summer has arrived when the Dee fans start coming out with their usual annual p1sh! :lol:

Gretna and Livvi may have bought short term success but look at them now so dont think their model is one to follow.

Also Dundee will no doubt be challenging for the championship but I think Falkirk, Queens, Dunfermline and County may also feel they are in with a good shout. To think Dundee are a shoe in for the title after what just happened is very arrogant and shows that nothing has been learned.

You never know they may have problems if season ticket renewal is low. Further investment may be required just to plug the shortfall.

The Alba cup final, high to low in 90 minutes, knowing that the cup was ours for the taking at half time to lose out in the end, 45 minutes of disappointment.(never mind we won the real cup)

Dundee fans have had the same highs and lows but not over 45 minutes, their fans have had half a year of disappointment, huge investment, a 15 point lead and totally messed it up. Not only a 15 point lead but to end up lagging behind the winners by 12 points

That must be a hard one to take and how many of their loyal fans turned up for the last game of the season to support their team ?

There wont be as much cash coming in from their fans next season.

Gretna and Livvi may have bought short term success but look at them now so dont think their model is one to follow.

Also Dundee will no doubt be challenging for the championship but I think Falkirk, Queens, Dunfermline and County may also feel they are in with a good shout. To think Dundee are a shoe in for the title after what just happened is very arrogant and shows that nothing has been learned.

Never suggested that the Gretna and Livi model was one to follow, far from it.

I agree that these other teams are in with a good shout for the title this season.

Never made the arrogant suggestion that Dundee are a 'shoe in' for the title, again, far from it. The lessons learnt that I refer to can only materialise over the next season......

My points were, in general, responding to posts already in this thread.

12th Man..... As for having had 'half a year of disappointment'.....no, it's been much longer than that!!

Cheers guys. icon4.gif

So Dundee are in a similar position to where they were a year ago. As for not spending so much this season.....well, there's not the same urgency, as Griffiths and Harkins are already there. I'm sure other signings will be made.

As for what some of the above posts mention about not being able to buy success - short memories. It's not that long since the days of Gretna and Livingston doing it that way.

Dundee have a rich benefactor at the moment. They also have NO debt (since administration Dundee FC have NO overdraft facility with the bank). The board say things to try to persuade fans to buy season tickets (as do boards at all clubs) but when they are misquoted in the press, everybody with a keyboard jumps on the bandwagon. I don't think this will bother Mr Melville too much.

Yes you are in similar position but have had to release half your squad which affects unity and will need recruitments to shore up the gaps that Harkins and Griffiths can't fill. We had much a similar problem in losing a fair few players bukept a good nucleus. Even so it took a while for the reshaping to kick in (about November) You'll have to either hope it doesn't take that long or you get the extended run we had with a collapse of any front runner. Dundee are in no way dead certs for anything. Challengers, probable favourites as you state, but from a group of about 4 teams all wanting up. Also alot of the mistakes were carried on by the new management team anyway.

Any money your benefactor has plowed in is technically debt.

And why give Livi and Gretna as your only 2 examples of buying success. Im pretty sure another team has done that, which you may have, erm, missed out. Had players like Kinkladze, Khisnishvili, Caballero, Ravanelli, Caniggia, Sara, Julian Speroni, Adamczuk...... doesn't bode well eh

With ICT clearing a 27 point gap, well, that was really something as it related to the progrsss (er...decline) of Dundee.

For Dens fans it was not just a c..ck up but a total drubbing from a very high-priced team it seems.Hunilitaing, like.

Well, it's onwards and upwards anyway for the better team and another successful season we all hope --ju st to put the icing on the cake .

Oh, that dry wit from the grizzled veteran Yngwie--gotta love it. :021: