FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Will Rooney stick around?

SMEE

Its a tough one .....

none of us in our right minds would want to see him go but we WILL lose him at some point. Even if not motivated by money, Adam will - quite rightly - want to play at the highest level he can and sadly (for us), that level is a bit above ICT. By all accounts he does like it up here and that has to be helped by having Jonny Hayes and Richie Foran around so hopefully he might stick around for another year but like many, I could see him signing a one year extension (to pay back ICT & TB for setting him on the road to stardom) and then moving on - for a fee - in the Summer.

maybe counting chickens here, but what club will sign him with the lure of european football. there's no higher level than that (in club football)

We shouldn't delude ourselves into thinking that sighing a new cintract woul be "a good thing" for Adam. Good for the club and fans yes but not for Adam as all it would do is put a financial burden on his options and allow the club to dictate what happens (unless of course he has his contract claused to death which makes it pretty pointless really).

I don't expect him to sign and if it was me, I wouldn't. He will be free to discuss any opportunity that comes his way from January on and I don't envisage any situation where the club will put a deadline on any deal for him going forward. This is a golden opportunity for him as he is in the peak of his form and injury free. Why risk a dip next season or a spell out?

Ever since Brew (that's right, Brew, the big guy many choose to abuse at any opportunity) took a risk he has been first class. When, not if, he goes, I wish him well.

• Agree 1

My thoughts are that if someone is after him, they wont care having to fork out a little more if he's on contract.

Would it really deter a buyer, don't think so surely?

If I was TB that's what I'd be telling him, now sign here son.

I think Adam has the makings of a top class player. I even think he will make the Premiership and an ROI regular position. I do, however, feel that he has a lot more to learn yet and that another couple of seasons at this level will be good for the lad. He reads a game well. He positions himself well and he has a natural ability to find the net but much of that is because of the trust he has in those feeding him. Adam has good off the ball movement and finds himself in positions that he knows his wingers will cross to or his central midfielders will feed through to and that, for me, is where his success is coming from at the minute. The trust and understanding of those he has gelled with in the last couple of seasons is what makes him. He's a young lad with a few good years ahead of him but should stick around and learn to become the complete article with those he knows and enjoys working with.

• Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

On their site, IIRC, Adam was 50k, 75k after appearences etc, and had a sell-on clause. Didnt mention a buy back clause, but may well be in there. I agree with Sorted, Adam will have plenty of suitors come January, however will they be attractive propositions. For example, if Hearts, Crystal Palace or Sheff utd came in would they really excite him? I'd imagine he'll be looking at getting premiership football with a newly promoted team, so it depends on the calibre of club that comes in...hopefully Mowbray, Burley and DFerguson make bids to make him stay!!!

Edited by Kirishima

I am hopeful we can speak to Adam in January and get him to sign.

Why wait til January? Presumably because we have raised the subject of a new contract already and Rooney said he'd rather wait and see what offers come in during the window. Or am I just a pessimist?

I was under the impression an offer was on the table for Rooney to mull over. If i was in his situation, and i didnt have a contract on the table by now, ad assume the club didnt want me, or were amateurs, and id look to move on.

Edited by SMEE

If there had been a contract offer made which wasn't matching his expectations he should wait until the window to see what else is made available to him either here or elsewhere. I don't like it any more than others on here but that's how it works.