FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Butcher the Man for the Job?

jaggy

Remember, it's better to have one exciting win and two exciting defeats than three boring draws.

Really, and the fans on here would accept that outcome? There would be calls for TB to be sacked (more than even now) as soon as we started operating in that manner.

Not at all. If the team went out to win, attack and ultimately take part in an entertaining game, then I think you'd find people to be a lot more supportive, understanding and a lot less likely to turn away.

• Agree 2

Seriously, what is Butcher expected to do? Can only work with what he has got. I am one of those delighted with the way the season has gone so far. For the first time in years we are showing that our own group of young players are making progress to becoming established members of the first team. We have also shown that despite working with a limited budget we can still attract experienced footballers to this club and have done so by building a backline containing 2 players that captained previous clubs. Most of the new lads have all established themselves in the side and im glad. I've got every bit of confidence that we will get better as the season goes on.

Saturday was a bad result backed up by a poor performance, we were outclassed and outplayed but i see it as a learning curve for those who had never sampled a game like that before, especially in the defence. Hopefully they can come back better from it. Anyone who seriously walks into a game against Celtic expecting a result is incredibly naive, just cause County got a point of them the week before well big feckin whoop.

If i was to have anything against Butcher it is his persistence with formations that dont work. He needs to be more open to try new ideas. Lads like Pepper and Oswell are yet to be given a proper chance to steak their claim, despite showing potential He should be more prepared to tweak his team in order to use them and to bring about better results.

That said i still think he is the right man for the job. There are signs in the first 3 games that he is still capable of getting the best out of this team and that we can still hold our own in this league. So give the man a break.

• Agree 1

I was listening to a local radio phone in last night which talked about booing your own team. Apparently at HT in a match between Bolton and Crystal palace it was 0-0 and the home fans (Bolton) booed them off. Now it was only the first home game of the season and the second match overall after a defeat in the first game. Now Bolton won but i find that booing them so early in the season was abit over the top especially when they ended up winning the match. Now Caley have lost there first match to a team that we all know is bigger and has far more resources to play with. Now the players did look out of there depth and they struggled against a better team. We wanted us to give them a much tougher game but to call for butchers head or start to question if he is right for the club is a tad over the top. Last season was rotten and it was hard not to get despondent but from what i have heard we have played much better this season and until saturday we were unbeaten and were unlucky maybe not to have two wins. Our first bad performance and suddenly we are in trouble. Lets see where we get to before getting worried because looking at the table we are 4 points off the top and only 2 off the bottom with the league looking so compressed everyone is beating everyone and there have been plenty of draws so lets forget this negativity and let the season develop because the way we are playing i believe we can do well this season and as we know anything from Celtic is a bonus it is the other teams we have to worry about starting with motherwell this weekend

Well the Doom and Gloom Brigade are having a whale of a time on this forum,God knows what it will be like if we ever lose another game.

It would seem we have the worst set of players, the worst manager.the worst assistant manager,the worst board of directors, the worst Chairman, the worst stewards, Who next do they want to have a go at The grounds staff maybe.

Come on Guys take stock of yourselves you will be closing down this forum next by your ranting and raving.

Are you all so good at your own jobs, hobbies etc. Are you so perfect in your own lives that it gives you the right to judge others so harshly.

GET BEHIND THE TEAM NOT ON TOP OF IT. We have as good an outfit as we can afford and they are doing very well so far this season BARRING ONE GLITCH. Give them a chance will you.

=

Come on Guys take stock of yourselves you will be closing down this forum next by your ranting and raving.

Are you all so good at your own jobs, hobbies etc. Are you so perfect in your own lives that it gives you the right to judge others so harshly.

While I might agree there is to much negativity, fans pay their hard earned cash to watch the team and if they are not satisfied are entitled to express their opinion, do you think this is exclusively an ICT problem? fans of every club moan.

The biggest mystery is how it was deemed acceptable by many to have a go at Brewster but having a go at Butcher is frowned upon.

I understand what you are saying Gordie, All I ask is for some to be more patient and less vociferous in their abuse of the club. The Club does not deserve the abuse.

As for the Brewster saga I cannot comment as I was not following caley thistle on line forum during his reign.

Brew left us as soon as he could. Was well on the way to getting Dundee United relegated. Failed there. Came back here when he wasn't wanted. Was pretty certain to get us relegated too.

Butcher was the choice of CTO. Some might blame him for getting us relegated. I thought he gave us hope. Brought us up at the first opportunity. Has been nowhere near relegation since we came back up. Just started a new season with only one defeat and that's to the champions of last year and almost certainly this.

The criticism is just way over the top this early in the season. But then, it's not about this season is it? It's about wanting someone to fail, so they can say :cheer01: "I'm right at last! We should never have hired him, no matter how well we've done these past few seasons!" It's just simply tedious.

Shout for his head if he fails but one defeat to Celtic???? It's ridiculous.

• Agree 10

Brew left us as soon as he could. Was well on the way to getting Dundee United relegated. Failed there. Came back here when he wasn't wanted. Was pretty certain to get us relegated too.

Butcher was the choice of CTO. Some might blame him for getting us relegated. I thought he gave us hope. Brought us up at the first opportunity. Has been nowhere near relegation since we came back up. Just started a new season with only one defeat and that's to the champions of last year and almost certainly this.

The criticism is just way over the top this early in the season. But then, it's not about this season is it? It's about wanting someone to fail, so they can say :cheer01: "I'm right at last! We should never have hired him, no matter how well we've done these past few seasons!" It's just simply tedious.

I don't think for a second anyone on here wants a manager to fail which would do harm to the club so they could say "I told you so". Like I have said I have voiced my concerns but I want Butcher to do well. From my experiance no matter how negetive people can be on here I highly doubt any of them would partake in such shamefull joy.

The question is Butcher the man for the job, well yes he is actually a football manager whether we like it or not. I know everyone say he “good” with the press but that my problem. He tends to tell the press what he thinks which the press love. He is far too realistic which then means he is far too negative.

I would prefer if he did what every other manager did and just talk up team, the style of football, all the plus points with the club and ignore the rest. We are top goal scorers at the moment with 7 goals in four games. Our recognised strikers have all scored along with 2 midfield players. We scored 2 goals against the champions elect, how many other team will do that this year in the SPL?

At the start of season how many point would you realistically expect after 4 games, especially after play two of the top 4 club in the country? Personally I would have thought 4, a draw away to St Mirren and home win against Kilmarnock. So has the start of season been so bad that it is time to lock away any sharp objects.

PS can anyone on here tell me that any of the game this season has been boring? I have been to all the games apart from Hearts (still upset). 16 goals with 2 red cards that an average of 4 goals a game with a red cards every 2 games. You don’t get that following EPL or Spanish teams.

Edited by ammac
  • Agree 4

One poster said that it would be difficult for a new Manager to come in and do well if the team was down. At what other time would we expect the Manager to do well other than when the team was down?

When the team is doing well all the Manager surely needs to do is hold the fort until he is settled-in and then gradually make the changes that he thinks is required to continue the improvement?

Terry needs support and a fair chance to try out all his ideas and Rome was not built ina day. For goodness sake let's all get behind HIM and the team and stop the moaning and groaning. Try focussing on the positive aspects surrounding the club and not the negative ones right now.

• Agree 2

Brewster got his teams fighting fit in training

Tel has got his teams fit fighting in training

I don't think for a second anyone on here wants a manager to fail which would do harm to the club so they could say "I told you so".

Well it looks that way to this forum member!!

Like I have said I have voiced my concerns but I want Butcher to do well. From my experiance no matter how negetive people can be on here I highly doubt any of them would partake in such shamefull joy.

Shameful to you, shameful to me but as I was taught at my fathers knee ... 'don't just read the words, think why they say them'

all im going to say on this is he is an awful manager

And your qualifications for saying this is ..??? You could insert 'I feel' or 'my opinion is' but your statement of fact suggests you are maybe not the best judge of football managers.

I have just watched the EPL Saturday night show and the pundits opinion ..? The teams need a few weeks for the new players to settle in ... However our manager, in the opinion of the 'neggies' - can settle in his new players immediately unlike the top managers in England.

For Heavens sake try and be a wee bit mature before posting rubbish.

• Agree 2

Ok so hypothetically speaking lets say Butcher was to go now? Who would the fans be after to replace him. Baring in mind we're not going to be able to really poach anyone promising. Can't afford a great deal of big names (of which Butcher is) even if they're without a club.

Lets step up folks. Who?

I have to say that I'm now feeling very concerned about our prospects and much of the blame has to be laid at the managers door. I'm not one to call for the managers head but if we don't see any improvement in our position by the County game the serious questions will need to be asked. Forget about Munro, Tokeley etc, the manager has the right to build his own team as he sees fit. My issue is that the players we've brought in are completely inadequate for the demands of the SPL. None of the players signed have had any SPL experience or much experience of Scottis football which must bring his judgement into question.

No league win in 5 this season and only 5 league wins this calendar year does not make for good reading. I think the 3 games in October are the make or break (County, St.Johnstone & Dundee), if we're adrift after those I can't see any way back for Butcher in the eyes of the fans.

• Agree 1

For all those people saying "Who can we get who is better?" - I point you at St Johnstone's successful appointments of rookies Owen Coyle and Derek McInnes, or Derek Adams over the bridge, as examples. They took a chance on young coaches and have been rewarded.

I feel Butcher still belongs to the stone age of football managers, where they think that all you need to do on matchday is tell the players to "go out and get it right up 'em". I can't think of any occasion when a tactical change by him has changed a game in our favour, but plenty where the opposition have changed their system and we've not been able to respond. He no longer seems capable of making this team even the equal of the sum of their parts (let alone greater than), nor does he seem to be able to coach up players - Ross, Graeme Shinnie and Sutherland, for example, have not become particularly better players over the last two years.

This feels like 4 years ago, where Brewster was clearly a lame duck and the team were a mess.

• Agree 1