FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Is Butcher the Man for the Job?

jaggy

I don't think it's the stage where the players aren't doing it for him or he's making inexplicable selections. It's a very difficult important time though - there are signs that we don't have that bad a team and there are things going well but we need to start turning promise into points and wins. If Butcher and Malpas can't do that soon they should be gone.

• Agree 1

Its easy now to call for TB's head and get a replacement in - if the popular choices which will be cited I'm sure of Robbo, 10CC, Stevie Patterson, maybe even Granty & Rossco double act then I'm sure all those against Butcher would be happy for a 'tenuious' link to the ICT past in charge, also means for a season even if a new boss was even worse they could be let off the hook by blaming TB signings and any decisions made. Ultimately TB has signed a lot of players and we need to give them time and the manager to find the best combination on field - we are 5 games in with 2 league defeats (yes bad results and shipped 8 goals) but this was to the Champions elect and the runners up last season away.

Performances and results have to improve but time is needed, we have the potential for a cup QF if we beat Stenny and have time in the legaue to improve. TB has to find a leader on the pitch to marshall the defence, but for a man with world cup experience and a raft of international caps he should be doing better at this I agree. But I still think time is needed and we will start to improve, if by xmas this hasnt happened then I too will suggest its time for TB to go, but only if there is a candidate out there better who can work within the tight budget to produce a more capable team and drive us forwards - right now dont see a stand out candidate.

There is a long way to go and this season could yet prove to have some positive ICT moments (I hope).

• Agree 1

Every manager has a shelf life, however I don't mind who the manager is in charge so long as he is competent and cares passionately about the team. Tb does that IMHO at the moment, he is capable of keeping us in the SPL.

When Terry does eventually move on, I'd love to see Barry Wilson have a crack at managing us. Maybe a cheeky pele 2nd in charge, I get a smile thinking about that but maybe it's just me!

• Agree 1

Every manager has a shelf life, however I don't mind who the manager is in charge so long as he is competent and cares passionately about the team. Tb does that IMHO at the moment, he is capable of keeping us in the SPL.

When Terry does eventually move on, I'd love to see Barry Wilson have a crack at managing us. Maybe a cheeky pele 2nd in charge, I get a smile thinking about that but maybe it's just me!

It's not a smile you should be getting with thoughts like that it's a "massive headache". Barry Wilson has absolutely no management experience and the Pel is hugely high maintenance.

that sounds perfect

Let us try to evaluate Terry Butcher logically

His strenths

Determination

Bravery

Optimism

Past Performance as a player

Tutored by Bobby Robson, at Ipswich and in an England shirt

Promotion

Knowledge of the Scottish game both club level and Scottish International coaching duties

His weakness's

Prior to ICT low level of management sucess

Relegation

Poor reaction to Critics and supporters

Over confidence

Lack of a good Assistant manager

Poor coaching of set pieces

Needs a good first team coach to work with him

Seems to have personality clashes with senior players

From my point of view ICT do need to get a new face into the coaching staff

There are a lot of technical issues that need to be addressed.

The team need to sharpen up on their passing skills, on closing down, on marking , and on set pieces.

I won't make a comment on whether he should go or not, but things need to improve..

I remember Paul Merson saying after his spell as Walsall manager. " It is hard for an International player to understand, how lesser players think and play , they really need someone of their own background to coach them,*

I feel Terry Butcher is thinking like an International and Rangers centre back. Enough said

• Agree 1

soon be time for a cabinet reshuffle at ict need some new scottish blood in the team we all have a right to freedom of speech

Don't see how a players antecedence is of any importance, as long as he can play.

soon be time for a cabinet reshuffle at ict need some new scottish blood in the team we all have a right to freedom of speech

Don't see how a players antecedence is of any importance, as long as he can play.

While I'm happy to see players from mars turn out for ICT as long as they are decent players, I think people's gripe with Butcher's signing policy is that players from further afield are less likley to stay at the club. Also when other clubs are finding players from Scotland's lower leagues we seem to have looked at the English 3rd, 4th and 5th tiers and found players who are no better than others we let leave.

Hi Terry!

It doesn't sadden me at all because I think there is generally a balance on here. There are a handful with extreme views at either end of the spectrum but the majority give a range of opinions somewhere in the middle ground. I would like to think that the management of this club do look at this website from time to time and give a bit of consideration to what is said so that they get a flavour of what the fans feel is good and bad about the club. Of course, those of us that post here represent a very small proportion of those who go to watch the team but nevertheless it probably gives a fair enough reflection of what folk think.

And as a football manager he will not be suprised that there are some amongst the faithful who would like to see him gone but he will be encouraged by the general tone this season. Things are far from perfect but he has responded to the calls for a more attractive brand of football. We are playing some good stuff and this team is not far short of being a very good side indeed. If some of the defensive frailties can be ironed out we will start winning - and with some style. I think Terry will see that most on here appreciate what he is trying to do but will lose patience if we continue to ship goals and lose matches due to sloppiness at the back. The club is in much the same position in the league as when he took over and it is clear we want a little better than that. He would expect no less from the fans.

My understanding is that Butcher rules with an iron fist. I believe in this day and age that man management is the key to getting the most from players. Butcher believes that he is exempt from any kind of critisism - hence the regular verbals with ict supporters.

Bear in mind that Ict will only ever consist of players who are very young and come through our youth system, or those who have already tried and failed at this level before. Running a team the way he does does nothing to instill confidence and runs the risk of destroying the confidence of some players. I would like to see him gone, regardless of who comes in, because i believe that he does more harm than good with his approach and menatality.

• Agree 4

Three young signings called up for international duty, I would say that is pretty good management selection on a low budget!

A forward line that is scoring goals consistantly, A team trying to play entertaining football, A team that fights back when down.

A team that is still to gel and reach full understanding of eachothers capabilities and yet is improving regardless of losses.

Give the Manager the credit he deserves please and drop this negativity. This team can and will do well under Terry.

Maybe we cant all go to the fixtures but I'm sure we can all give the team and manager our support. That can only do good!!

• Agree 4