FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Best moment and worse moment

I was listening to Talk Sport on the way home from work and the phone in topic was to state what you felt was the best moment and the worst moment that you have expreienced with your club.

I could almost immediately think about quite a few best moments but I really struggled to think about a worst moment - which is probably very positive.

I will refarin from telling you all what my options were - I had six in competition for the best and only two for the worst and the worst runner-up was not really that bad.

BEST MOMENT - Final whistle at the end of the St Johnstone game when we clinched the SFL crown.

WORST MOMENT - Final Whistle at the end of the Dumbfarmlife Scottish Cup Semi final.

Enlighten me - what are yours ? And you can ONLY list one for each.

BEST = Winning the 3rd Division. First league title and a fantastic season. Four wins over County. Great players such as Barry Wilson, Ian Stewart, Jim Calder, Paul Cherry. Moved to the Caldeonian Stadium in the same season. There was real excitement and optmism. So my best moment was probably from that season. The goal Ian Stewart scored to clinch the 2-0 home game against County. Wilson collected the ball deep into own half, ran a good 40 yards, crossed across field to Stewart who chipped Steve Hutchison from outside the box. Perfect.

WORST = Steve Paterson leaving the club.

• Agree 1

Best, beating Clyde the week before winning the 1st div cup, I felt a real sense of belonging and togetherness, as so many fans had turned up at Broadwood to egg on their team and it worked.

Worst day had to be getting relegated.

• Agree 2

BEST = Winning the 3rd Division. First league title and a fantastic season. Four wins over County. Great players such as Barry Wilson, Ian Stewart, Jim Calder, Paul Cherry. Moved to the Caldeonian Stadium in the same season. There was real excitement and optmism. So my best moment was probably from that season. The goal Ian Stewart scored to clinch the 2-0 home game against County. Wilson collected the ball deep into own half, ran a good 40 yards, crossed across field to Stewart who chipped Steve Hutchison from outside the box. Perfect.

That's my best moment too. 1 on 1 with Hutchison about 20 - 25 yards from goaI and instead of the usual trying to round the keeper he just chips the ball about 20 feet over his outstretched arms straight in to the back of the net. I had that goal on VHS and will look to see if I still have it. If so it'll be appearing on YouTube in the near future along with some other forgotten gems!

Edited by Caley
  • Agree 1

I'm gonna go with Doofer.

Worst - Full time whistle against Falkirk was the most heart wrenching moment of my young life as a footy fan.

Best - I loved getting promoted in 2004 but the way we got back up in 2010 was simply brilliant and for me is an achievment that will struggle to be matched by anyone for years to come.

• Agree 1

Funnily enough ... I blogged in part about this earlier in the week on my Toronto FC site ......

http://tfcpics.com/b...same-old-story/

Here's what I wrote

Lots of moments of joy and woe at Inverness. Supporting a "small" football team as opposed to jumping on the bandwagon of a perpetually successful side is never easy. For me the "high" was the Celtic 1-3 ICT result in 2000 that resulted in the headline I mentioned earlier. We were a small team, taking on giants, and with the players still smarting from a newspaper article that mentioned the odds were 18-1 for them to pull off a victory, they got stuck in, played for each other and recorded that result. Celtic that night were fractuous, lots of egos clashing, and like many big teams, under-estimated their opposition. The manager was sacked just a few days later !!! We did the same to Hearts a couple of years later, and that too was a joyous affair, but the Celtic game reigns supreme in my memory.

Other ICT fans will perhaps tell you that their best days were the Championship winning days in 2004 and again in 2010 when the club won the 1st Division and got to the SPL, but I was already in Canada by then and only experienced them from afar so my choices are games I was present at.

Likewise with the worst days ... Most ICT fans will point to May 23rd 2009 as the darkest day in club history. The club needed a point to avoid relegation and conceded a goal midway through the second half. an equaliser could not be scored and the club were relegated. For me, as dark a day as this was, I was in Canada so somewhat divorced from the emotion and my worst days seem to focus on bad results we encountered coming up through the leagues .... one in particular springs to mind and its probably because of how my day panned out .... It was September 2001 (10 days after 9/11) and I flew back from Toronto to Glasgow overnight, on my way back to Inverness (before I moved to Toronto). I was met at the airport by a friend and fellow ICT fan who drove me to Airdrie for a match against them. We were absolutely horrible in the game and I could hardly keep my eyes open. It finished 6-0 to the home side, and I packed my suitcase into the supporters bus for the long drive home ... a novel way to travel home from Toronto, but not quite fulfilling in the end. I also look back horribly on a midweek journey to darkest Ayrshire where we were humbled 5-1 in the cup. Its a 4 or 5 hour drive so getting home at 3AM and up for work at 6 just added to the misery.

Oh Scotty............I do remember you , the proverbial half-shut knife ,at the 6-0 drubbing. The 5-1 defeat at Ayr (Roscoe!!!!!) was indeed a shocker. My worst moment could be when we went 4-0 down to Livvy after only 22 minutes of the championship decider.........what happened next was legendary and could have resulted in my best ever moment with a bit of luck! SP leaving for Aberdeen was a crushing blow

Parkhead Feb 8th 2000 cannot be beaten to my mind........5500 folk going deliriously mental..........the radio phone ins after...........arriving in Diggers in Edinburgh and being congratulated by everyone.................walking on air for a week

Happy days

yeah, thought of mentioning the Livi game, but in all honesty, didnt know whether to put that one in the good or bad category ..... The 4-0 part was obviously bad, but getting back to 4-3 and the game itself was amazing ("an equalising goal for Inverness would have been the cherry on top of the already tasty cake" or something like that was the descriuption from Bill Leckie) .... it was made even better for me by the fact that this spectacle of sport (both on the pitch, and with fans mingling) happened on the same weekend as the shame of Hugh Dallas getting the coin in the head in an OF game .....

No question for whatsoever for me that the famous night of ballisticism was the greatest moment for ICT, because unlike other great highlights mentioned, it was so unexpected and it rocked Scottish football. Arguably the greatest moment of my life too, but don't tell the missus I said that.

Worst moment was again in the cup v Celtic, when just a few minutes away from knocking them out for the 3rd time in a few years, it all fell apart horribly. Me and Mantis just sat in stunned silence for the journey back down the A9.

• Agree 1

best momment: The 4-3 away defeat to Livi on the 1st of May 1999. I THINK it was pretty much a league decider....was it? Anyhoo....I couldnt care if we got beat EVERY game if games were half as exciting and all round brilliant as that game was. At the end of the day, I follow my teams in the hope of being entertained. Sucsess is an added bonus!

Worst Moment: Probs, the 2-0 Semi Final defeat to Dundee @ Hampden. Its a game i think was there for the taking and on our day, we were capabale of beating them. Just was a bit of an anti climax in the end. Still............we did flinking amazing to get there in the first place

The Livi game was the penultimate game of the season and not quite a decider. If we had won on the last day we could have won it if Livi dropped points, but neither happened.

And the Dundee semi was just 1-0. But remember that the Dundee team had highly paid stars that they couldn't actually afford to pay, and they went into administration not long after. I demand a replay.

The Livi game was the penultimate game of the season and not quite a decider. If we had won on the last day we could have won it if Livi dropped points, but neither happened.

And the Dundee semi was just 1-0. But remember that the Dundee team had highly paid stars that they couldn't actually afford to pay, and they went into administration not long after. I demand a replay.

I THINK i mentioned the other day on here, that my memory isnt the best :lol:

Best: Ayr awa y when we won 7-0. Just a magic day.

Worst: Falkirk at home, when all we needed to do was draw.........

Not even a draw, all we needed was for our team to score 2 more goals over the whole season and St Mirren would have been relegated, cheers Barrowman.

If i was to choose a favourite home game it would have to be Raith 4-3 at home in 2010.

Truelly the game of all games. Had it all. Great goals, dodgy goals, red cards. It was a just a game where the boys were settling for nothing more than 3 points and with the best climax ever in a Richie Foran overhead in the dying seconds. Also worth noting a certain Gregory Tade scored 1 and set up 1 that day.

As Yngwie says, the worst moment was being mugged by Celtic in the quarter final of the Cup on a day when they rarely threatened at all.

Now, best moment..... that's extremely hard. Almost any week while Pele was manager.

Best .paul deery sinking pints of cheddar vale in bath then passing out. Worst.going 4-0 down in a half hour against livi.

I heard he was just tierd after a long drive :wink: