FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

Billy McKay

AJS

The boy deserves a thread of his own. I slated him non stop last season. Went as far to say that he wasnt worthy of such a lengthy contract but he has been immense these last few games, capped off a fine run of form by getting into double figures and imo has really proved his worth...well done Billy, keep it up.

• Agree 2

In one of those 'who should we keep' type threads towards the end of last season, McKay was one of the few I suggested we should keep (bit of told you so here)!

He's one of those pain in the arse players to play against, always nipping away at you. And he doesnt stop running. Plus he always holds the ball up well. The only thing missing was his lack of goals...he seemed to freeze when given chances, and clearly lacked confidence. Mind, we were constantly knocking high balls up to him last season, which against 6ft defenders he's never going to win.

Now we're playing it a lot more on the deck, we're creating more chances, and Billy, after getting the first couple, has started tucking them away more regularly. He does have the potential to go on and become an ICT 'legend', as per the other thread,.

Fairly spot on davieB. We have discovered how to utilise him at long last. He simply never was a feckin target man or the lone striker who could hold the ball up or terrorise in the air. He is your old fashioned penalty box instinctive goalscorer - a bit of a blend of Craig Dargo and Dennis Wyness. But he is far more effective away from home. We are beginning to look at palying simpler balls, using width but we have also changed the positioning of McKay and the type of service provided too him. I dont know how he was utilised at Aberdire but at Killie and at Cellic he was playing on the shoulders of the last defender - shure he will get caught offside more but he will also score more. He also appears to have been relieved of his defensive duties and also appears to be told to hold the front line instead of foraging. He also has noticeably started taking up positions in the "box" when the ball goes wide, many times moving away rather than looking fer the knock in and 1:2 type of play. Then he is not getting the hoofs predominantly. Peeple are looking to use his pace over 10-15 yards and looking to hit balls in to the spaces between or over the central defenders. What he has also got better at is taking defenders wide with his movement and leaving more opportunities for the likes of Andy Shinnie to move in to. He was overshadowed whenplayed with Foran which is surprising as you would have thought that he would be the purrfect foil for the more traditional centre forward. Plus, and possibly more importantly - as with a few others, he is being played consistently and there is nothing better than scoring goals to boost the self confidence of a striker. And he aint exactly scoring crackers but he is getting in to scoring positions at the near and far posts.

Billy's been excellent since coming in against Dundee and long may it continue. Keep on runnin' Bill.

Altogether now...

Hes got two more lungs than you, hes got two more lungs than you

na na na na na na na na

Hes got two more lungs than you, hes got two more lungs than you

na na na na na na na na

etc.

Shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. At least we have him contracted until the end of next season.  

I'm sure we'll want to keep him for the rest of this season but might need to cash in in the summer, if the interest is still there and the offers are good enough.

Shouldn't be a surprise, I suppose. At least we have him contracted until the end of next season.  

I'm sure we'll want to keep him for the rest of this season but might need to cash in in the summer, if the interest is still there and the offers are good enough.

Naw the 2.5 million for finishing second will see us through

Thats football. He's contracted to us till summer 2014 and Transfermarkt rate him at £225,000. http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/mckay/profil/spieler_123294.html

Is that the same site that rates Ian Vigurs at £275,000 ???

Yep, Richie Foran at around half a million.

In fact they value our whole squad at £4.4 million

Edited by Alex MacLeod

My missus got flights/hospitality etc for Man Utd through her work last night, where she met Sammy McIlroy. She had no clue who he was, but had mentioned that her boyfriend was an ICT fan. Straight away he knew that ICT were on a great run and had beaten the dons the other night with Billy McKay scoring a double. He had a lot of good things to say about him.

Edited by RossP
  • Agree 1