FACEBOOK LOGIN ×

The "Who Should We Sign" Thread

Renegade

If we get our squad sorted out in the next few days, what are we going to to talk about for the next 2 months?  :shrug02:

Could always start another 2 word story

Any ideas of a new keeper? Any free agents who are keepers around that are our standard? I think there are some good keepers playing in the First Division but TB is more likely to go for someone from the English lower leagues. I think TB and Steve Marsella know what and who to get so well wait and see :)

Robbie Thomsons name has been linked with us. Seems a promising young keeper, given that were needing two keepers (seeing as we've released Scott Mathieson as well) then he would make a good signing IMO

If the reports are correct, we are signing 2 left wingers (Danny Williams and Adam Evans).  I'm trying to remember who we have had playing there this season - Foran, Roberts, Doran, G Shinnie, Sutherland, Taylor, Blackman?

Robbie Thomson has been on trial for a couple of weeks! Apparently he looks very good in training!

Glad to hear he's still on trial, hopefully push through a deal. I saw a video of his highlights on YouTube and he seems like a cracking young keeper

If the reports are correct, we are signing 2 left wingers (Danny Williams and Adam Evans).  I'm trying to remember who we have had playing there this season - Foran, Roberts, Doran, G Shinnie, Sutherland, Taylor, Blackman?

Ben Greenhalgh who is joining in the summer can play on either flank so it would seem we will have plenty options in that area next season

Given that the only player to impress out in wide areas has been Doran then I can see why Butcher feels the need to strengthen the squad in that area.

Hope that the striking department is another area which is strengthened, we need reinforcements to provide back up for injury, competition for Billy and some one that can compete for high balls should we unfortunately go down that route again next year

Seems like we are working hard to get our business concluded as soon as possible, having most of the current lads already signed up i assume will have helped them focus on new targets. Glad we are strengthening the wide areas, apart from Doran no one really impressed out on the flanks this season and thats us already got some decent options.

1 or 2 strikers are required now i think.

• Agree 1

Just noticed that Gordon Smith has been released by Hearts, he's young and a striker, think he may have a bit of quality lacking but he is better than the likes of Roberts

Edited by Rival

Just noticed that Gordon Smith has been released by Hearts, he's young and a striker, think he may have a bit of quality lacking but he is better than the likes of Roberts

Looking at the report on Sky Sports, I noticed they released another youngster Denis Prychynenko. Supposedly he has been impressive at Under 20 level.

The likes of Taouil, Grainger and Barr are outwith our budget. 

This article about James Vincent states that Kiddermister would be entitled to compensation if he makes the "dream move" to us.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/sport/harriers/10436861.Harriers_midfielder_set_for_a_Highland_fling_/

Unless it was a very low nominal compensation fee then I would imagine that the deal would stall. Like most other SPL clubs, we wont be spending much on transfer fees this season

This article about James Vincent states that Kiddermister would be entitled to compensation if he makes the "dream move" to us.

http://www.kidderminstershuttle.co.uk/sport/harriers/10436861.Harriers_midfielder_set_for_a_Highland_fling_/

Unless it was a very low nominal compensation fee then I would imagine that the deal would stall. Like most other SPL clubs, we wont be spending much on transfer fees this season

Is there not some sort of weird ruling that a player can move from an English club to a Scottish club without the previous club being due compensation. I seem to recall this being the case (in football manager haha) when we (or another SPL club.. I can't really remember) were looking to sign a player from England and his previous club didn't want him to come North as they wouldn't get any compensation.

I thought that too ubern but I seem to recall that compensation is still due if the player has been offered a new contract by his club within so many months of his contract expiring. Sounds like this has happened so signing the player would possibly need compensation

Did we not have the same problem when we tried to sign Terry Gornell? It has something to do with whether or not he has been offered a contract by his current club or not.

Does the player not need to be under 23 to be eligable for compensation?

I'm sure the ICT board and legal team have been involved and advised TB whether he can move for the player and they will know is compensation required and if so do we have funds.

I seem to remember we "pinched" Greg Tansey for free from Stockport because of a FIFA rule that a young player can transfer across borders without the usual under 23 compensation being payable, if his current club did not offer him an extension more than 3 months before his contract expired. I also think that when using that rule, you can't actually sign the player before 1 July, but you can get them to agree that they will join. It's something like that anyway. 

A complication here might be that Vincent had apparently made enough appearances in the season to automatically trigger a new contract offer from Kidderminster - but when was it triggered?

• Agree 1

Today's Press and Journal reports that while deals have been agreed with Adam Evans, Ben Greenhalgh and Danny Williams, three more players have agreed to sign deals once their current contracts expire, reportedly at the beginning of June. Obviously seeing as they are still contracted to their respective clubs their names cannot be revealed at present.

Seems to be a lot of speculation that James Vincent may be one, Robbie Thomson possibly another?

• Agree 1